Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 10:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
maybe they knew that their parents were not motivated to help them pay for college? And then became really depressed with job opportunities for high school students?
You are really reaching now, coming up with this, just to blame the man for the failure of these kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 10:59 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Part of the reason why most people marry their socioeconomic equal is because they have the same set of values and share the same decision-making process. When you're a college grad, you have a totally different worldview and make your decisions completely different from a high school dropout with two daughters. This conflict over the car simply reflects all that.

A poor single mother with two daughters who dropped out of high school made a bunch of very poor decisions to land in those circumstances. A GED and getting married to you doesn't change any of that. As I see it, you have a few possible options:

1 - Take the position that since you're the dominant wage earner, you have veto authority over any large purchasing decision. Most states have a cool-off period for major purchases like a car and you can always make enough of a stink to kill the financing deal so the purchase falls through.

2 - Suck it up and live with the reality that you picked someone who makes bad decisions and is pre-programmed to always make bad decisions. Some of them will be costly.

If I went down the path you took with my eyes open, I'd pick door #2.
This is all crap. Education level does determine ones values and decision making skills. Nor will two people of the same socioeconomic class always agree in finances.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
if she were allowed to be at home and mature a little more
What part of they left of their own accord don't you get? They were encouraged to stay at home, but show respect for the parents at the same time. They didn't want to do that, so they chose to leave. This is all on those kids.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What part of they left of their own accord don't you get? They were encouraged to stay at home, but show respect for the parents at the same time. They didn't want to do that, so they chose to leave. This is all on those kids.
Have you not ever lived some where with someone that you hate and feel very welcomed? I could not stay in that situation and I bolted also. My car was more appealing.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:14 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Gents this is a perfect example of why you don't get involved with someone with kids, no matter what and no matter how old you are. Except in the extreme cases as in you're trying to date at 60 years old or something. It's not worth it.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Have you not ever lived some where with someone that you hate and feel very welcomed? I could not stay in that situation and I bolted also. My car was more appealing.
IMO, you are conflating your situation with theirs and the comparison is not valid.

The parents offered the daughters alternatives and the daughters decided they could not live with them. The daughters were of legal age and made their choices. The mother is complicit in that she did not take on the responsibility of raising her daughters. Instead, she made the decision to allow the stepfather to make the decisions for her.

Because of her decision not to get involved, the daughters rebelled against the father's discipline. That's pretty easy to see. The mother was an enabler, I think that is fairly plain to see. These are her daughters, first and foremost. Her responsibility was to raise them to the best of her ability. Instead, she punted.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
IMO, you are conflating your situation with theirs and the comparison is not valid.

The parents offered the daughters alternatives and the daughters decided they could not live with them. The daughters were of legal age and made their choices. The mother is complicit in that she did not take on the responsibility of raising her daughters. Instead, she made the decision to allow the stepfather to make the decisions for her.

Because of her decision not to get involved, the daughters rebelled against the father's discipline. That's pretty easy to see. The mother was an enabler, I think that is fairly plain to see. These are her daughters, first and foremost. Her responsibility was to raise them to the best of her ability. Instead, she punted.
The comparison is only different because I never let a man take over control over my kids. I only allow them to be the fun person, not the heavy. But I was in a relationship that he tried to be the heavy, and my daughter was hating him.

The daughters grew up resenting the op, because he was the one making the decisions. The wife is an enabler, but at this point she is taking the brunt of the damaged feelings and it is straining her relationship with the girls. The car is her trying to rectify the damaged feelings. Of course it does not work that way, and she should have been the main disciplinarian long before the girls grew to hate the OP.

I am curious if his own biological daughter feels differently towards him.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Have you not ever lived some where with someone that you hate and feel very welcomed?
They were teenagers. They hate everybody.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
They were teenagers. They hate everybody.
Not true. I have a teenager.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:55 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Did you all miss that the OP was military?

OP, did you use all of your GI Bill? I believe that you can now allow your dependents to use your GI Bill - but I am not sure how it works.

So, the wife hooked a military man with benefits to take care of her kids. Happens all the time. She isn't as dumb as the OP portrays here.

Clara and LowonLuck are projecting big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships