Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You say you consider them your daughters but then make sure to mention that she is her child by another man.

I call my stepchildren "daughter" but when engaging others that don't understand that I did not give birth to them, and it APPLIES to the situation (like this one does), I say "stepchild".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 01:11 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,593,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's not a matter of proving a point but the reality is that in a legal partnership, if one persons spends freely and another person spends prudently, the thrifty party gets the short end of the stick because they will be sharing the liabilities of their frivolous partner and sharing the assets from their prudence.

Why didn't your MIL declare bankruptcy and keep her house and car?

My point was this.... No matter what happens if your married you share the responsibility of your spouse doings, and to go out and buy another car as to proving a point not wise and childish, best you talk and get this situation under control between the two of you! Marriage is not about power plays ..

As for my mother in laws doings? I cannot answers for her ! ...

Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
My husband and I went through something similar. He wanted to go on a trip (with friends) to Vegas and wanted to gamble with an amount I found unacceptable. He then went to try a way to manipulate the money so I wouldn't notice. I did.

I considered this a form of infidelity. Financial infidelity. He couldn't understand my strong feelings about this initially, but did eventually. Perhaps your wife's views are the same. Perhaps if you expressed your views in a way she could understand it may help?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-18-2017, 05:42 AM

71 posts, read 178,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My husband and I went through something similar. He wanted to go on a trip (with friends) to Vegas and wanted to gamble with an amount I found unacceptable. He then went to try a way to manipulate the money so I wouldn't notice. I did.

I considered this a form of infidelity. Financial infidelity. He couldn't understand my strong feelings about this initially, but did eventually. Perhaps your wife's views are the same. Perhaps if you expressed your views in a way she could understand it may help?
I have made my viewpoint abundantly clear both on a logical level and an emotional level.

She may or may not understand or care..

Her last comment on the topic when we last talked 2 weeks ago was: "you need to get over it"..

Old 05-18-2017, 05:50 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback View Post
I have made my viewpoint abundantly clear both on a logical level and an emotional level.

Her last comment on the topic when we last talked 2 weeks ago was: "you need to get over it"..
She may as well have said "man up" imo.

I hope that you can right the ship and or nothing against your wishes happens again.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, that's grounds for dismissal. She doesn't care that you're mad, and she will do it again and again, whether you like it or not. That is what she is saying.

My next move would be a phone call to a divorce lawyer.

My advice to you as someone who is married to a man with two daughters that I call my own, I would not involve the two kids in this at all. Keep this between yourself and your wife. They may choose to side with their mother, but when they grow up (oops, if they grow up), they will hopefully see that what their mother did was wrong.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:06 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
As far as I'm concerned, that's grounds for dismissal. She doesn't care that you're mad, and she will do it again and again, whether you like it or not. That is what she is saying.

My advice to you as someone who is married to a man with two daughters that I call my own, I would not involve the two kids in this at all. Keep this between yourself and your wife. They may choose to side with their mother, but when they grow up (oops, if they grow up), they will hopefully see that what their mother did was wrong.

As usual, I agree with convextech 100%. I'd be looking for a lawyer. I'm so sorry this happened, Switchback - but now you see what she REALLY thinks about your opinions, and how she really feels about the agreements you two come to - she has no respect for either. That's a deal breaker, at least for me.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This thread has gone into some stupid silly feminazi grounds.

Anyone with a brain should acknowledge that a man and woman should mutually agree on large purchases. Has nothing to do with oppression from the man or whatever stupid crap some say.
Still catching up with this thread, but again, I agree with you, Chow.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:23 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post

I agree.

In regard to joint accounts, anyone whose name is on a checking or savings account can empty that account without the knowledge of the other person. The same is true with a joint credit card account - one person can close it without the other person knowing. One spouse could be pulling in to pump gas and suddenly the card is shut down.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,148 times
Quote:

Ouch. Im sorry. I would find her attitude and dismissal of your feelings more hurtful than anything else. I've been trying to see her side of things but it is starting to sound like she just doesn't care about the health of the marriage. I would never say something like that to my husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships