Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 05:37 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times

Advertisements

I ask this because I have been looking at poll's on various subjects plus a few I have posted on my own.
one being would a woman prefer a guy who hates his job but makes good money or a guy who loved his job but did not earn much, surprisingly most women answered the guy who liked his job but did not earn much, but sadly in real life such women seem hard to find.

if I am to believe the responses to many of the threads I've started most women would be happy with an average joe who was almost homeless but had a heart of gold.

But we all know the lot in life those guys receive, women on these forums say money does not matter to them, but in the real world we all see the guy with outward signs of wealth with the hottest girl in the club(no matter what he looks like).

women on these and other forums complain about guys who take them for granted, but in real life the guys that put them first get written off as needy or clingy.

Women say they value faithfulness but we see in real life they seem attracted to the guys least likely to be faithful (those super charming, flirty, charismatic guys who ooze confidence, players can't be players if they have nobody to play with) .

I am so confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 05:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
You are a victim of the media just like everyone else. The media depicts distorted images of everything and people don't consider what reality is because they think that what they see on TV or in the news on the Internet is reality.

There are big psychological articles about this. About how it's ruining people's happiness to be exposed to one kind of image that isn't even real but made to think that it is real. It's why so many people on Facebook are unhappy. It's also why some places are considering laws against photoshopping advertisements with models in them.

Also, consider that if you cannot find the kind of woman you want, you might not be looking in the right place.

Or you might be surrounded with the wrong kind of people.

It may happen once in a blue moon, but you normally can't buy diamonds at a bait shop.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:52 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You are a victim of the media just like everyone else. The media depicts distorted images of everything and people don't consider what reality is because they think that what they see on TV or in the news on the Internet is reality.

There are big psychological articles about this. About how it's ruining people's happiness to be exposed to one kind of image that isn't even real but made to think that it is real. It's why so many people on Facebook are unhappy. It's also why some places are considering laws against photoshopping advertisements with models in them.

Also, consider that if you cannot find the kind of woman you want, you might not be looking in the right place.

Or you might be surrounded with the wrong kind of people.

It may happen once in a blue moon, but you normally can't buy diamonds at a bait shop.
I have left no stone unturned in my search, I have so many dating apps my phone runs slow.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:05 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
How about getting to know women in real life?

Old 10-05-2017, 06:10 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Be honest....

Did you get most of your info from the media and the internet?

or...

Are you seeing this stuff happen IRL (particularly in your area?)

Old 10-05-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
I have left no stone unturned in my search, I have so many dating apps my phone runs slow.
Lol...dating apps.

I'm trying to think of one quality couple I know that met on a dating app. Again, I'm sure it can happen and it does happen. But I think meeting people organically at quality functions or through friends and family makes a lot more sense. Unless your friends and family are skeevy, too.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:15 AM

This holds true for everyone and everything:

When it seems like everyone else is the problem, you are usually the problem.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
I ask this because I have been looking at poll's on various subjects plus a few I have posted on my own.
one being would a woman prefer a guy who hates his job but makes good money or a guy who loved his job but did not earn much, surprisingly most women answered the guy who liked his job but did not earn much, but sadly in real life such women seem hard to find.

if I am to believe the responses to many of the threads I've started most women would be happy with an average joe who was almost homeless but had a heart of gold.

But we all know the lot in life those guys receive, women on these forums say money does not matter to them, but in the real world we all see the guy with outward signs of wealth with the hottest girl in the club(no matter what he looks like).

women on these and other forums complain about guys who take them for granted, but in real life the guys that put them first get written off as needy or clingy.

Women say they value faithfulness but we see in real life they seem attracted to the guys least likely to be faithful (those super charming, flirty, charismatic guys who ooze confidence, players can't be players if they have nobody to play with) .

I am so confused.
I think you are probably interpreting people's responses through your own lens. And, based on your sample survey question, you seem to be throwing up binary absolutes. "Not earning much, but happy with job" does not necessarily equal "almost homeless." And, truth be known, most people would probably be happy with "doesn't hate job, makes okay money." And that's actually probably something that more realistically applies to most people. It's not always about extremes (hates job, makes excellent money; loves job, makes crap money), and it's hard to apply generalities to everyday life when you're talking about extremes.

You are also using one trait to discount the presence of another. You're assuming that if a person is "charming, flirty, charismatic, oozing confidence," then that person can't possibly be capable of committing faithfully in a relationship. Not realistic. Do you suppose that the only people capable of faithfulness are those who lack charm, charisma, confidence, and who aren't flirtatious and personable?

So, there are flaws in your options, which will affect the responses you get.

You also have to take into account that there ARE people who are not going to attach themselves to anybody who is not extremely well-off, but that they don't actually exist in huge majority numbers, and who's to say they are avid lifestyle forum enthusiasts? Don't assume your average golddigger is a big city-data user. Consider that your sample may not be representative of the population you're looking to poll.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
If you're basing your view of humanity exclusively on dating apps, yeah, you're leaving plenty of stones unturned. Just saying.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Lol...dating apps.

I'm trying to think of one quality couple I know that met on a dating app. Again, I'm sure it can happen and it does happen. But I think meeting people organically at quality functions or through friends and family makes a lot more sense. Unless your friends and family are skeevy, too.

I have never known anyone who met through friends or family to get married. Online dating? Yes. Meeting at shows/bars/events? Yes. Heck, one of the couples I know met when they became roommate.

I wouldn't date friends of friends, personally, and certainly don't want family setting me up.

Quote:
This holds true for everyone and everything:

When it seems like everyone else is the problem, you are usually the problem.
More true than not. Not universal, but more true than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships