Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:25 AM

651 posts, read 407,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Things become fairly clear the longer people talk.
Exactly. When possible I keep quiet and to myself. This way people think I am smarter than I really am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 10:01 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I was last on OKC in 2015. More recently I heard rumors that they were trying to restrict more features to only be available if you paid them, and now I'm hearing they tried to do like Facebook with the "real name only" thing? And when I last popped in there to see if someone I used to know was still there, and possibly show his profile to a female friend of mine, one requirement that utterly deterred me was that you needed to upload a photo of yourself. I just wanted to create a sort of blind account briefly to do one particular thing, so I was like, "the heck with it." But I remember being on there before, and there were people with no photo, it was recommended but not required, and one guy I talked to a long while just had a cool image of a piece of art.

I don't think everyone should HAVE to have a personal photo or their real name. I guess they're trying to cut down scammers and bots this way, but really shouldn't people be trying to meet in person at some point, and if they do, wouldn't that lay any such questions to rest pretty quick?

Can anyone chime in on the question of whether they now have less features in the free version than they used to?

I think for me that'd really lower my interest in using that site, too.

But as for "unusual" people (and I certainly consider myself one) my town had a big overlap between OKC and fetlife back in the day. I remember right after I got in the kink scene I kept recognizing people from there on OKC constantly. And a high proportion of those people are the nerdy/artsy/intellectual types. Bored with all normal things, including normal sex apparently, I guess.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:05 AM

639 posts, read 376,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbound_And_Up View Post
Like the title says, I've been in a new city here for just over two weeks and I feel like I've already exhausted Ok Cupid for any dating potential. I mean, I've got a good number of likes I put out there (even though I didn't find many profiles that "wowed" me, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt it's full potential)... and getting no matches.

What happened here? It wasn't ever "great" (are any of these OLD apps?), but as your less-than-mainstream resident weirdo*, it was the one site I could count on to find the quirky, not-so-basic ladies that I'd be into, and conversely might actually have a shot of them being into me. Now, it's neigh impossible to look at any of the profiles on there and find much of anyone to get amped about... just surprisingly few people even on there, and surprisingly fewer people I'm attracted to... and I'm not what I would call picky. Who I tend to find captivatingly cute aren't necessarily the usual showstoppers most of the time, really. I'm on another, more niche site (altscene), that somehow has better options all around than the much bigger OkC. It's not very popular at all, but at least there's people on there that I feel compelled to take ten minutes out of my day to give it the ol' college try and send an opener.

Anyone still getting anything of value out of OkC? I just don't get how such a well designed site turned into such a demographic dumpster fire in the three or four years that I wasn't on it. I hardly even expect a lot of compatible profiles, but rather a diversity people including some I might get on with. I dunno. I just get frustrated and log off before and have to go through it in short stints. It's depressing. You used to be cool, OkC, now it's like 8:00 AM at Starbucks.

*I'm really not THAT weird, but it seems like it doesn't take much to put off the "normals" in this dating culture.
I've had 1 successful dating situation that lasted for 4 months (I know ground breaking time here) heavy, hot relationship.

We went at it both intimately and sexually hard for 3 months. The problem was; however, she ended showing psychotic tendencies early. Very passive, aggressive. Very indirect and manipulative with her communication and actions. We ended up splitting up.

As for the 95% of females I found on okcupid in my area, they were either undesirable or extremely good looking but obviously on it to seek attention.

I've stopped wasting my time with online dating altogether.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:07 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Can anyone chime in on the question of whether they now have less features in the free version than they used to? .

I've not seen much less in features. The big change is messaging. You really have to mutual like someone to converse. If a woman messages me and I've not liked them, I get a notification. If I check their profile and like them back, I will see the message. If I don't like them back, or don't even bother to check it, I will never see their message. This was done, understandably, to deter one of the main complaints from women about the huge volume of messages.

The "real name" thing is an enigma, but its easy to side step. It prompted me to put in my real name and I retyped my username. Still, that push by them scared quite a few women I know off. It was completely culture deaf.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:14 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I was last on OKC in 2015. More recently I heard rumors that they were trying to restrict more features to only be available if you paid them, and now I'm hearing they tried to do like Facebook with the "real name only" thing? And when I last popped in there to see if someone I used to know was still there, and possibly show his profile to a female friend of mine, one requirement that utterly deterred me was that you needed to upload a photo of yourself. I just wanted to create a sort of blind account briefly to do one particular thing, so I was like, "the heck with it." But I remember being on there before, and there were people with no photo, it was recommended but not required, and one guy I talked to a long while just had a cool image of a piece of art.

I don't think everyone should HAVE to have a personal photo or their real name. I guess they're trying to cut down scammers and bots this way, but really shouldn't people be trying to meet in person at some point, and if they do, wouldn't that lay any such questions to rest pretty quick?

Can anyone chime in on the question of whether they now have less features in the free version than they used to?

I think for me that'd really lower my interest in using that site, too.

But as for "unusual" people (and I certainly consider myself one) my town had a big overlap between OKC and fetlife back in the day. I remember right after I got in the kink scene I kept recognizing people from there on OKC constantly. And a high proportion of those people are the nerdy/artsy/intellectual types. Bored with all normal things, including normal sex apparently, I guess.
You can no longer harass people. You get to send one introductory message and after that, the recipient’s profile will be hidden from you. Unless they respond to your message, you can’t ever contact them again. Also, messages won’t appear in your inbox until you respond back to someone, so your inbox can no longer be filled up with messages from people who you don’t want to talk to. Personally, I don’t see a problem with the changes. It works the same way in the free and paid versions except when you subscribe, you get to see who “liked” your profile even if you haven’t already matched with them by “liking” their profile too.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've not seen much less in features. The big change is messaging. You really have to mutual like someone to converse. If a woman messages me and I've not liked them, I get a notification. If I check their profile and like them back, I will see the message. If I don't like them back, or don't even bother to check it, I will never see their message. This was done, understandably, to deter one of the main complaints from women about the huge volume of messages.

That seems like a useful change.

Quote:
The "real name" thing is an enigma, but its easy to side step. It prompted me to put in my real name and I retyped my username. Still, that push by them scared quite a few women I know off. It was completely culture deaf.
Yeah, this one, less so. To put it mildly.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:32 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
That seems like a useful change.

Yeah, this one, less so. To put it mildly.
I used a nickname and I didn’t have to do anything special to do so.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:35 AM

Yeah, I get that.

Which makes it even less intuitive why match (who owns OKC, now, right?) would make that change to begin with.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:45 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I used a nickname and I didn’t have to do anything special to do so.

Right, and lots of people did, still, it is the push for real names and the messaging about it being so tone deaf that pushed a lot of people away.

We can all picture the make up of the team that would even think such a change would be a good idea.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Right, and lots of people did, still, it is the push for real names and the messaging about it being so tone deaf that pushed a lot of people away.

We can all picture the make up of the team that would even think such a change would be a good idea.
Yeah, that's a pretty serious marketing misstep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships