Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:16 AM

55 posts, read 36,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
OKC used to be great. In my region, and most people I know in the Northeast at least, say its pretty dead. I've checked it out a few times and met a few people over the last 6 mos on it, but it is WAAAAAY down. People have gone wholesale to Bumble. Often enough, we connect on bumble and if there is any rapport we exchange OKC user names.
I don't doubt a lot of people went to Bumble (and/or Tinder). I'm just not seeing much other than "traditional" types of women on those apps. Ok Cupid used to harbor a lot of the alternative/artsy/hipster/whathaveyou types. That was a lot of the appeal for some of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 11:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times
When I was on OKCupid, it was the same mix of traditional bros and hipster types as any other broad segment of the population. I never noticed any one overwhelming type.

Off the top of my head, via OKCupid, I went out with a guy who had immigrated from India for graduate school and was an engineer for Samsung, a guy who worked some typical insurance claims adjuster type job and liked hockey games, a guy who was a special education para and also drummed in some hardcore local band and had massive ear gauges and lots of ink, a kind of douchey bro type who was a trust fund kid and ran his own test prep company and small niche publishing house at like 28 and who also turned out to be a highly conservative pre-Vatican II Catholic (he was tons of fun), and my husband, who, as mentioned, is a pretty clean-cut progressive liberal who is a former middle school teacher and also happens to be an Iraq war veteran and a noncommissioned officer with 17 years in the Navy.

So, kind of a mixed bag. There are a lot of people out there. Pigeonholing them based on your own assumptions is rarely productive, beyond just making you feel self-satisfied to for whatever reason give whole swaths of people the thumbs-down just to do so.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So, kind of a mixed bag.
Yeah, def not a mixed bag in 2018. It's a lot more like Plenty Of Fish now, unfortunately.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,105,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbound_And_Up View Post
I don't doubt a lot of people went to Bumble (and/or Tinder). I'm just not seeing much other than "traditional" types of women on those apps. Ok Cupid used to harbor a lot of the alternative/artsy/hipster/whathaveyou types. That was a lot of the appeal for some of us.
I don't know about you, but I run into no shortage of kink types, or poly people (not my thing really), or any number of underground niche people on it (arts/musics/etc). I think everyone and their sister is an artist. One I'm dating is a RISD trained sculpter, another I went out with a photographer, ceramics, and hot glass people, plus tons of people in bands. They're on there.

The difference is the lack of ability to filter them so they come to the top of your searches, so it takes lots of swiping.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times
Quote:
Yeah, def not a mixed bag in 2018. It's a lot more like Plenty Of Fish now, unfortunately.
If the overall usage has gone down significantly,I'd buy that the variety in users has gone down accordingly. I don't know, am not on it. But if it still has comparable numbers, I'm skeptical. Size of pool basically breeds variation.

The population of your particular "catchment area" may affect that as well, obviously. If I live in a community of 7,000, say, and I look online for local people to date, I'm obviously not going to be presented with the same level of variety as if I look at who's available in a metro of several million. Now or six years ago.

I don't know. Maybe everyone but a few holdouts HAS abandoned dating sites in the past couple of years. If so, it's probably time to move on, in general. People are still dating. They're doing it, somehow.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I run into no shortage of kink types, or poly people (not my thing really), or any number of underground niche people on it (arts/musics/etc). I think everyone and their sister is an artist. One I'm dating is a RISD trained sculpter, another I went out with a photographer, ceramics, and hot glass people, plus tons of people in bands. They're on there.

The difference is the lack of ability to filter them so they come to the top of your searches, so it takes lots of swiping.
Well, I'll keep looking (moreover, maybe someone will spot me). It just doesn't look anything like you describe these days. I've already hit the "You've run out of people" wall and I can't say there's much on there vs. some years ago.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,105,621 times
Quote:
Well, I'll keep looking (moreover, maybe someone will spot me). It just doesn't look anything like you describe these days. I've already hit the "You've run out of people" wall and I can't say there's much on there these days L.

Location matters in what sites get used. I don't know about your specific location, but the cities in the Northeast have a huge number of alternative lifestyle people, and Bumble is probably the most popular site around. Tinder, and OKC, are pretty dead. POF has always been trailer park level around here. In other areas, those may be good. I don't know.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Location matters in what sites get used. I don't know about your specific location, but the cities in the Northeast have a huge number of alternative lifestyle people, and Bumble is probably the most popular site around. Tinder, and OKC, are pretty dead. POF has always been trailer park level around here. In other areas, those may be good. I don't know.
I wouldn't know how to look up who uses what in my location. I'll ask around I guess. It ain't Ok Cupid, that's for sure.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:59 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,391,070 times
Quote:
Like the title says, I've been in a new city here for just over two weeks and I feel like I've already exhausted Ok Cupid for any dating potential. I mean, I've got a good number of likes I put out there (even though I didn't find many profiles that "wowed" me, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt it's full potential)... and getting no matches.

What happened here? It wasn't ever "great" (are any of these OLD apps?), but as your less-than-mainstream resident weirdo*, it was the one site I could count on to find the quirky, not-so-basic ladies that I'd be into, and conversely might actually have a shot of them being into me. Now, it's neigh impossible to look at any of the profiles on there and find much of anyone to get amped about... just surprisingly few people even on there, and surprisingly fewer people I'm attracted to... and I'm not what I would call picky. Who I tend to find captivatingly cute aren't necessarily the usual showstoppers most of the time, really. I'm on another, more niche site (altscene), that somehow has better options all around than the much bigger OkC. It's not very popular at all, but at least there's people on there that I feel compelled to take ten minutes out of my day to give it the ol' college try and send an opener.

Anyone still getting anything of value out of OkC? I just don't get how such a well designed site turned into such a demographic dumpster fire in the three or four years that I wasn't on it. I hardly even expect a lot of compatible profiles, but rather a diversity people including some I might get on with. I dunno. I just get frustrated and log off before and have to go through it in short stints. It's depressing. You used to be cool, OkC, now it's like 8:00 AM at Starbucks.

*I'm really not THAT weird, but it seems like it doesn't take much to put off the "normals" in this dating culture.
3-4 years is a bit of time in the dating culture. A lot has changed in just those few years. Like the presence of app-based dating services vs. traditional websites and your particular area/region may have fewer options in your dating pool that fit your criteria.

OKC was by far my favorite site when I was dating. My husband's, too. I haven't the slightest clue what it's like now, but I'm sure it's different in at least some ways.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:09 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,460,049 times
OKC and match.com SUCK. Nothing but a bunch of men creeping for sex, weirdos, old men trying to get young women to have sec with them, socially inept men, douche bags, like where are the NORMAL men. Online dating didsnt suck so bad 10 plus years ago, I would actually meet decent men, not these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships