Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 11:02 PM

55 posts, read 36,243 times

Advertisements

Like the title says, I've been in a new city here for just over two weeks and I feel like I've already exhausted Ok Cupid for any dating potential. I mean, I've got a good number of likes I put out there (even though I didn't find many profiles that "wowed" me, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt it's full potential)... and getting no matches.

What happened here? It wasn't ever "great" (are any of these OLD apps?), but as your less-than-mainstream resident weirdo*, it was the one site I could count on to find the quirky, not-so-basic ladies that I'd be into, and conversely might actually have a shot of them being into me. Now, it's neigh impossible to look at any of the profiles on there and find much of anyone to get amped about... just surprisingly few people even on there, and surprisingly fewer people I'm attracted to... and I'm not what I would call picky. Who I tend to find captivatingly cute aren't necessarily the usual showstoppers most of the time, really. I'm on another, more niche site (altscene), that somehow has better options all around than the much bigger OkC. It's not very popular at all, but at least there's people on there that I feel compelled to take ten minutes out of my day to give it the ol' college try and send an opener.

Anyone still getting anything of value out of OkC? I just don't get how such a well designed site turned into such a demographic dumpster fire in the three or four years that I wasn't on it. I hardly even expect a lot of compatible profiles, but rather a diversity people including some I might get on with. I dunno. I just get frustrated and log off before and have to go through it in short stints. It's depressing. You used to be cool, OkC, now it's like 8:00 AM at Starbucks.

*I'm really not THAT weird, but it seems like it doesn't take much to put off the "normals" in this dating culture.

Last edited by Eastbound_And_Up; 05-21-2018 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 11:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,982,969 times
LOL. Totally agree. It was my best bet for fellow nerdy people and an actual chance at a reasonable conversation. Now it seems like all of the sites basically suck. I’m looking for new friends.

I will fully admit I’m trying to keep tabs on the guy who is sending ridiculously mixed signals since he might have some similar friends. LOL.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:19 PM

Yeah, it was like there was a mass genocide on quirky people. Only the townies got to live, LOL! To each his or her own, but I'd like to have at least the option of ferreting out the types of girls I'd likely mesh with and vice versa.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:47 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,461,911 times
The owner of OKC said in an interview a few years ago, that there are no outstandingly intelligent people on the site; everyone's pretty average. So IDK if that's the right tree to be barking up, if you're looking for quirky, creative types. What do you guys think?

Old 05-22-2018, 12:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,982,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The owner of OKC said in an interview a few years ago, that there are no outstandingly intelligent people on the site; everyone's pretty average. So IDK if that's the right tree to be barking up, if you're looking for quirky, creative types. What do you guys think?
I initally joined because they presented at a marketing conference I went to. And it used to attact sort of data driven nerdy types. I found that in the past the ratio of nerds to non-need was much higher than other sites.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
It's not so much about intelligence. It just used to the go-to for the left-leaning types, the nerds/geeks/bookish types, the hipsters, musos (goths, metalheads, rockabillies, scene kids, hXc, ravers, etc.) which I fall pretty firmly under, skaters, crusties, hippies, I could go on...

I mean, I'm okay with dating more basic types and gone out with a few more on that end of the spectrum, but I tend to have more in common with artsy/muso types, and I'm pretty sure my personal appeal goes further with that type girl than the network TV watcher crowd that's dominates OkC these days.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,750,615 times
Quote:
LOL, I met my husband via OKC, and he's among the smartest people I've ever known. And definitely quirky, as am I.

But, it's been a number of years since we were both on the market and using sites...enough years that most of the dating apps weren't mainstream, yet. It's likely a totally different ballgame, now.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's likely a totally different ballgame, now.

That's the quandary, I guess. What's the ballgame now? Where's the smart and the quirky girls at? It ain't Tinder or Bumble.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,750,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbound_And_Up View Post
That's the quandary, I guess. What's the ballgame now? Where's the smart and the quirky girls at? It ain't Tinder or Bumble.
No clue. This quirky girl has thankfully been out of the dating game since 2012.

Maybe they're not using apps at all.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Maybe they're not using apps at all.
Pretty sure "all" is a mathematical impossibility. They're pretty much all "the type" on altscene (the fakes are SUPER obvious being blonde bimbos looking for "honest, caring men", with zero bands added, haha! ), but again, that's a small and pretty specific site.

Maybe Coffee Meets Bagel... that's less douchey for the most part... I think... I quit it though because it was matching me with super-not compatible people every damn day. I dunno. Feel free to chime in, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships