Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:19 PM

55 posts, read 36,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
3-4 years is a bit of time in the dating culture. A lot has changed in just those few years. Like the presence of app-based dating services vs. traditional websites and your particular area/region may have fewer options in your dating pool that fit your criteria.

OKC was by far my favorite site when I was dating. My husband's, too. I haven't the slightest clue what it's like now, but I'm sure it's different in at least some ways.

Well, like I said, I'm also on some niche site called altscene (it was recco'd to me on Reddit... I'm kinda under the impression that it's more of a thing in the UK ) and as small as the user base is here, it mops the floor with Ok Cupid if you're more into the tattoos and weird hair color crowd. It leaves a lot to be desired function-wise, but at least the user base is more my type.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-23-2018 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 12:32 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,378,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbound_And_Up View Post
Well, like I said, I'm also on some niche site called altscene (it was recco'd to me on Reddit... I'm kinda under the impression that it's more of a thing in the UK ) and as small as the user base is here, it mops the floor with Ok Cupid if you're more into the tattoos and weird hair color crowd. It leaves a lot to be desired function-wise, but at least the user base is more my type.

[snip]
Are you in the UK? I discovered OKC through an alt/bdsm site. It was full of alt/eccentric/eclectic and "free-spirited" types when I lived in ATL, but ATL has a huge alt community/scene, and there was a mix of traditional sorts and alt/eccentric types in SoCal. NorCal/Bay Area was more similar to the Atlanta scene. But this was years ago before the launch of Tinder and other dating apps. No doubt those apps affected the dynamic and dating culture trends/pool.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-23-2018 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Are you in the UK? I discovered OKC through an alt/bdsm site. It was full of alt/eccentric/eclectic and "free-spirited" types when I lived in ATL, but ATL has a huge alt community/scene, and there was a mix of traditional sorts and alt/eccentric types in SoCal. NorCal/Bay Area was more similar to the Atlanta scene.
No. Just that altscene seemed to be more of a UK thing than here in the US.

Quote:
But this was years ago before the launch of Tinder and other dating apps. No doubt those apps affected the dynamic and dating culture trends/pool.
'Years ago' being the crux here. Years ago when I used OkC it was exactly as you described. Not to sound like a broken record, but I don't really see where the the crowd we're talking about is really present on Bumble and Tinder. Both seem quite 'young professional' and 'Kardashian fangirl' heavy, and very little else. IME. I'll swipe 'em right, but they ain't swiping this beardo back, haha!

Old 05-22-2018, 01:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,024,941 times
Quote:

'Years ago' being the crux here. Years ago when I used OkC it was exactly as you described. Not to sound like a broken record, but I don't really see where the the crowd we're talking about is really present on Bumble and Tinder. Both seem quite 'young professional' and 'Kardashian fangirl' heavy, and very little else. IME. I'll swipe 'em right, but they ain't swiping this beardo back, haha!

Those people were on OKC as of 2-3 years ago, not so much 5-6 years ago, but again, I think you're dismissing the filtering that OKC does for you, that Bumble does not. Those people are there, they are just mixed in, and since they're a smaller portion of the population, they don't come around as often, and you don't see much about a person to make a choice.

Plus, and this is a big one too, as we get older the goths, metalheads, kinkster, fetish, alt lifestyle people blend in more. It's less and less about fashion and being outward about their differences, that expression is more (not exclusively, just more) geared toward younger people. That woman in a Talbots outfit very well may be an industrial listening latex wearer on Friday night.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:21 PM

70 posts, read 70,233 times
Bumble is an App. Call me old fashioned but I prefer the computer screen to deal with such things as dating etc. The less apps on my phone the better. @Eastbound_and_Up I'd stay away from OKC.....some questionable characters there....I don't know what Tinder is so no comment on that.

"It's Just Lunch" is another thing to consider - one has to pay a fee but they do try to match you up with possible dates.

If you're into kinky stuff you could join FetLife - there are lots of folks who are photographers, or people who like old cemeteries, plus all sorts of sexual fetishes.

Stay safe and always meet in a public area.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Those people were on OKC as of 2-3 years ago, not so much 5-6 years ago, but again, I think you're dismissing the filtering that OKC does for you, that Bumble does not. Those people are there, they are just mixed in, and since they're a smaller portion of the population, they don't come around as often, and you don't see much about a person to make a choice.

I don't know what filtering Ok Cupid might be doing. I just know I've hit the end of the (depressingly short these days) queue, and the options are a lot more PoF than OkC 2014.

Quote:
Plus, and this is a big one too, as we get older the goths, metalheads, kinkster, fetish, alt lifestyle people blend in more. It's less and less about fashion and being outward about their differences, that expression is more (not exclusively, just more) geared toward younger people. That woman in a Talbots outfit very well may be an industrial listening latex wearer on Friday night.

True. I have multiple modes myself... buuuuuut just the same, my age range swath is set pretty wide and on the younger end of the sweep, there's nary much of the edgy crowd either. I'm pretty sure Ok Cupid just isn't hip anymore and most of the bleeding edge types were probably the first to go. I mean, I quit it years ago. Only reason I hopped back on is I'm in a new city and I literally know no one here and just wanted to scope out the lay of the proverbial land.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
Quote:

For real.

As people grow, they don't always wear their niche interests on their sleeves.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
Quote:
I don't know what filtering Ok Cupid might be doing. I just know I've hit the end of the (depressingly short these days) queue, and the options are a lot more PoF than OkC 2014.

True. I have multiple modes myself... buuuuuut just the same, my age range swath is set pretty wide and on the younger end of the sweep, there's nary much of the edgy crowd either. I'm pretty sure Ok Cupid just isn't hip anymore and most of the bleeding edge types were probably the first to go. I mean, I quit it years ago. Only reason I hopped back on is I'm in a new city and I literally know no one here and just wanted to scope out the lay of the proverbial land.

I'm not sold on it ever having been hip, myself.

Varying degrees of useful, maybe, but not hip.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
For real.

As people grow, they don't always wear their niche interests on their sleeves.

I guess I'm one of those who do. I've grown into it more, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not sold on it ever having been hip, myself.

Varying degrees of useful, maybe, but not hip.

It was at one point in time.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:16 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,878,724 times
Quote:
...you don't see much about a person to make a choice.

That's what I'm thinking, there's still an opportunity if one goes about it with the right attitude.
If before I even look I think "might as well surf around OKC, even though these are lamest bunch of future Investigative Discovery leading men...probably listen to polka and are the type to cry when they get mad, mumbling redpillreddit mantras. Sure, they don't have a close-up of their hands, bc they have soft feminine hands! I wont find out until Ive wasted 10 dollars on an app!"Whats the point? That all consuming attitue will eventually come out,and who am I attracting then? The guys I least like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships