Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 04:54 PM

28 posts, read 19,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, I thought you posted above that it was a ghost town in the summer, so I responded to that. And yeah, I can't even handle temps in the 90's, let alone over 100!

No problem, it is (mostly) a ghost town in summer, but that's when all wife's friends come to town. Sorry about the confusion.

100 would be a dream for me. A few days ago, it was 122!

Old 08-02-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Maybe you could approach it the way "snowbirds" do in the northeast. People there apparently get sick of the cold and snow that socks in during the winter. Some of them move to Florida only to realize that they miss having four seasons, so they compromise and move to a more moderate location like my home state of TN pr nearby NC.

If you and your wife want to stay together, you'll either have to suck it up or you both have to compromise on a totally new location.

Yep, the problem is that her company is based in LA. She still has to go into the office 2-3 times a month. It's much easier to be close to LA.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:12 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's what we're trying to determine. Would the OP find a compromise location acceptable? If so, could his wife be persuaded to make one last move?
Yes, this is what we need to know. It sounds like the OP’s wife works remotely but the employer is in LA so she does have to go to LA from time to time. Is it a situation where she goes frequently enough that she needs to be able to drive in (so California or other sweltering desert destinations are basically it) or is a short flight acceptable? As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, the closer you get to the coast, the more expensive things tend to get, so the OP might be priced out of most of the options that are larger and nearer to job options within driving distance to LA.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_ocean View Post
Yep, the problem is that her company is based in LA. She still has to go into the office 2-3 times a month. It's much easier to be close to LA.
2-3 times a month is no big deal. Are you saying there are NO other towns anywhere near LA that are cooler, if that truly is your primary complaint???

At this point this is a question for the California forum because the relationship issue has been resolved: Live with it, compromise or separate.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:20 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Well, in part, this is your own doing, so part of me thinks you should try to make the best of it.

I guess I would make a list of the things that impact me the most, and try to find a way to make them more pleasant, and keep in mind, it has been an abnormally hot season.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2018, 05:22 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes, this is what we need to know. It sounds like the OP’s wife works remotely but the employer is in LA so she does have to go to LA from time to time. Is it a situation where she goes frequently enough that she needs to be able to drive in (so California or other sweltering desert destinations are basically it) or is a short flight acceptable? As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, the closer you get to the coast, the more expensive things tend to get, so the OP might be priced out of most of the options that are larger and nearer to job options within driving distance to LA.
There are coastal areas that are cheaper than LA, though, and there are mountain areas that are cheaper, too. And there are some locations by that description, that have a similar drive time to LA as Palm Desert. So in theory, the problem is solvable. Also, he needs to be able to drive to LA for work too, if he wants to get back into the local entertainment industry there. Or maybe he could find a similar job in another location.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:35 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, in part, this is your own doing, so part of me thinks you should try to make the best of it.

I guess I would make a list of the things that impact me the most, and try to find a way to make them more pleasant, and keep in mind, it has been an abnormally hot season.
The problem is, that "abnormally hot" is going to be the new normal, in coming years, probably.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:41 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,360,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
2-3 times a month is no big deal. Are you saying there are NO other towns anywhere near LA that are cooler, if that truly is your primary complaint???

At this point this is a question for the California forum because the relationship issue has been resolved: Live with it, compromise or separate.
This is what I have been struggling to understand. There is nowhere other than LA proper?

I don't know anything about California but is she not driving into LA from the desert when she has to go in? If she has to drive anyway, I guess I'm not understanding why she can't drive in from elsewhere.

Last edited by cleasach; 08-02-2018 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 08-02-2018, 05:41 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,584 times
Maybe you can put in a really good effort, an almost over compensating effort to like it over the next two years. Then beg (I mean this literally) for mercy to move. She might be more receptive, if she observes a hard fought effort.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Maybe you can put in a really good effort, an almost over compensating effort to like it over the next two years. Then beg (I mean this literally) for mercy to move. She might be more receptive, if she observes a hard fought effort.

Yes, I was thinking this. Too bad I'm ready to go now, but I see your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships