Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:39 PM
RJ_ RJ_ started this thread

743 posts, read 392,741 times

Advertisements

I thought it was a pretty catchy title, so my hats off to the author for that one. She also makes some pretty decent points about the dating scene, and from the looks of it, Gen Z is starting to realize how ridiculously flawed the modern dating scene is.

I haven't been in the dating scene long, just a couple months. Before that I was either married to one of my two ex wives or with one of a handful of long term girlfriends. So I'm not an expert on all that single people have to go through to find a mate. I don't have any sort of social media presence so it's hard for me to relate to the author's comments on twitter or instagram. But her overall message seems to be one of frustration with how shallow "romantic" interactions have become.

I can say that, in my brief, recent dating experience it has truly become a "hook up" culture, even with people in my age range(mid 40s,) though the women I've dated recently have all been mid to late 30s. It took very little effort to get women to visit me without ever having met me in person and even less effort to get them into my bed(not that I was even trying.) But it's just seems that sex is a foregone conclusion at this point with practically anyone you meet.

Any way here's an excerpt -which isn't directly related to my comments above- from this young lady's article. https://thoughtcatalog.com/melissa-m...in-the-throat/

"We live in a world where people are afraid to feel anything genuine, or at the very least, are afraid to show it. When someone is angry with you, there’s no phone call asking to talk about it. Instead you get a passive aggressive response to a text message or a suspiciously relevant subtweet, quietly calling you out in 140 characters or less. If you like someone, you don’t tell them how you feel; rather you act interested enough for them to pick up on it, but not enough to freak them out. Don’t like it? Too bad. It’s all a big game and if you don’t play by the rules then you lose, and if you lose you end up alone and drowning in a pile of your own insecurity, wondering what you did wrong."

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 07:48 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
I have my doubts about generalizing and extrapolating based on what some people are blogging about. I know many folks in their 20s and 30s who are capable of communicating and bonding without relying on social media.

There are still genuine people out there who want to meet people organically and not play games. Expand your non-digital social circle (male and female) and go from there.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Wow, she’s 22. But I kept reading ...

The best line is, “Everything is calculated to appear thoughtless.” That, to me, is the saddest part of watching people interact today.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Wow, she’s 22.

The best line is, “Everything is carefully crafted to appear thoughtless.” That, to me, is the saddest part of watching people interact today.
That struck me as well. Modern dating may as well be called "the ambiguity game."

Old 08-04-2018, 07:53 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Wow, she’s 22. But I kept reading ...

The best line is, “Everything is calculated to appear thoughtless.” That, to me, is the saddest part of watching people interact today.
Young insecure people have always done that. Affect an air of nonchalance and who gives a ****. It's been written about through the ages ("Callow youth") and people grow out of it when they figure out it doesn't serve them in navigating adult life.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I have my doubts about generalizing and extrapolating based on what some people are blogging about. I know many folks in their 20s and 30s who are capable of communicating and bonding without relying on social media.

There are still genuine people out there who want to meet people organically and not play games. Expand your non-digital social circle (male and female) and go from there.
The reason I don't really agree with the point you're making is because young people seem to operate as a hive mind due to the aggressive inter-connectivity of social media. Now, I'm generalizing of course, but they all seem to adhere to the same linguistics, use the same methodology of reason and are exposed to the same information simultaneously. And it's led them to this dismal place where nothing is actually real, especially expression.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:03 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
"Decent points"? None of the things in her article or opinions seemed to coincide with my thoughts on the "dating scene" --and I'm closer in age to the OP than a 22 year old.

I don't understand why he's trying to relate to her experiences as "how it is" anyway, they grew up in a different time and see things differently.

I sure wish you would go out and get some real life experience, OP. Now there are 2 ex wives and some LTRs, before I think there was 1relationship, which makes more sense in explaining your guesses at how things are.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
"Decent points"? None of the things in her article or opinions seemed to coincide with my thoughts on the "dating scene" --and I'm closer in age to the OP than a 22 year old.

I don't understand why he's trying to relate to her experiences as "how it is" anyway, they grew up in a different time and see things differently.

I sure wish you would go out and get some real life experience, OP. Now there are 2 ex wives and some LTRs, before I think there was 1relationship, which makes more sense in explaining your guesses at how things are.
I relate to her experiences in the modern dating scene because I'm in the modern dating scene. Or did you not catch that part?

Old 08-04-2018, 08:19 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
I relate to her experiences in the modern dating scene because I'm in the modern dating scene. Or did you not catch that part?
She's surprised your experience would jibe with a 22-year-old's, because RBBL's do not, and she's close to your age (and in the modern dating scene). Did you not catch that part?

Old 08-04-2018, 08:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
I hate it too but I can tell you anybody that wants to violently harm themselves is skunk juice to women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships