Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
I legitimately think this has a lot to do with it. Sociologically speaking, social status is incredibly important and how men and women view themselves in the social hierarchy tends to be quite different. This is especially true with the younger women. For males, traditionally they achieve higher social status via career and wealth. For young females, social status comes in the form of high ranking males suitors. The more high ranking male suitors, the higher her social status among her peers. Her perceived value rises with each additional suitor added to her list. I think this is one of the reasons that the modern dating scene is so complicated.

The problem is, once the young woman reaches an age where finding a husband and having children becomes highly time sensitive, she'll still find herself trapped within the same dating dynamic. I think this reality is what spurned the author to write her article. She sees the writing on the wall and knows things need to change.
No she won’t. By that that time she’ll grow up like most people do.

This is normal shallow kid stuff.

You’re talking about kids here.

Just like really young guys think they’re invincible and can never get hurt and pull all sorts of terrifying stunts. But later...they grow up.

Things have ALWAYS been this way. Always. Young people are...young.

Again, if they haven’t grown up by your age then there is some problem. But then, if you’re also there, still, at your age, then there also is likely a problem from your side.

You need to catch up somehow, I don’t know how/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 12:23 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. I think "hang out" is an term that was adopted due to it's ambiguous nature. It's a very non-committal phrase.
Hanging out is one of my best (and newest) tools in my dating arsenal. I had an interesting idea and arranged a first date to hang out at the mall and enjoy some shopping and people watching, then dinner after. It worked well because we had already gotten a start interacting with each other and seeing the other interact with people, so we weren't complete strangers as we sat down to our meal.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. I think "hang out" is an term that was adopted due to it's ambiguous nature. It's a very non-committal phrase.
“Hang out” is what kids say when either they’re too socially awkward to ask for a real date, or are jistnreally young period. or are iffy about the other person and want to make sure they aren’t committing to anything official.

Or, “hang,” probably. No “out.” That’s more old fashioned and again is concerning as to why this person never figured out dating in all these years. It hasn’t “been” adopted, it’s literally from the 80s at least. It’s like yelling “rad!”

People who say “hanging out” are likely people past a certain age. Could these women possibly be fudging about their ages? Could that be part of why they're in such a rush to seal the deal, before you can figure things out? Again...being more selective could help here.

FTR, dating made me want to punch myself in the throat too when I was very young. Because at that age you are all kids. Nobody knows what the hell he or she is doing yet and many are far from grown up (naturally), people make mistakes, and have too little experience. And many are nowhere near wanting to commit. Because they're normal kids.

And that was 30 years ago.

Last edited by JerZ; 08-05-2018 at 12:40 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 12:33 PM
RJ_ RJ_ started this thread

743 posts, read 392,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Hanging out is one of my best (and newest) tools in my dating arsenal. I had an interesting idea and arranged a first date to hang out at the mall and enjoy some shopping and people watching, then dinner after. It worked well because we had already gotten a start interacting with each other and seeing the other interact with people, so we weren't complete strangers as we sat down to our meal.
Fortunately I caught on to the whole "hanging out" terminology pretty quickly. It's a stupid term to use in the context of dating, but it is what it is. Now I know that "hang out" means go on a date.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:35 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
“Hang out†is what kids say when either they’re too socially awkward to ask for a real date, or are jistnreally young period. or are iffy about the other person and want to make sure they aren’t committing to anything official.
No such thing as "Dating" for Gen Z.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
She sees the writing on the wall and knows things need to change.
At 22? Doubtful.

That kind of remark is just an attempt to insult women by pinning their supposed value on their breeding ability.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:44 PM
RJ_ RJ_ started this thread

743 posts, read 392,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
At 22? Doubtful.
This ain't the 50s anymore. These girls have experience, lots of it.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
No such thing as "Dating" for Gen Z.
No, not until they grow up.

This is just NOT abnormal.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
This ain't the 50s anymore. These girls have experience, lots of it.
Running around with a lot of other young people isn't "experience" in the way a grown man your age should have experience. Experience isn't just sex and everything body being poor and in school.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:52 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,713,798 times
I feel so completely disconnected from anyone uder about 28 or so. The Gen z crowd maybe, I forget the exact age range, but whatever. Strange and frankly depressing ways of viewing the world. I wouldn't want to be a young person growing up and dating in today's world. No wonder why so many young guys just wanna tug it and play video games. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships