Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:22 PM

52,290 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I would say the person who doesn’t want kids agrees to have one. You don’t always get what you want. That’s part of being in a relationship and not being single. If my wife wants to live in the city and I want To live in the suburbs I’m not going to break up with her.
The no vote always wins. People should never have kids just to keep a relationship. Kids deserve to be wanted, not tolerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 01:26 PM

6,875 posts, read 4,877,055 times
Quote:
I would think it would be incredibly hard to find someone who doesn’t want kids.
It isn't hard at all in my experience.

You have people that don't want them, people that do want them, and a surprising many that are ambivalent.
That's just in my experience from people I know. I have never taken a poll.

A question I have is why would someone want to have children with someone they knew didn't want them? They make the assumption they'll change their mind and enjoy a child without caring about the reason someone doesn't want a child in the first place?

It is no more fair to have a child with someone that doesn't want one than it is to not have one when your partner wants one. I see it as a deal breaker, best discussed early on in a relationship. It is also a good reason for anyone that doesn't want children to get a tubal ligation or a vasectomy.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:15 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,887 times
Quote:
I would say the person who doesn’t want kids agrees to have one. You don’t always get what you want. That’s part of being in a relationship and not being single. If my wife wants to live in the city and I want To live in the suburbs I’m not going to break up with her.
I’ve read some really ridiculous responses on here, but I think this might take the cake.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:21 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
(Raises hand)

100+ matches in DC on OkCupid women 25-32 who don’t want kids. Not that hard if you hunt on the right grounds.
Absolutely. OLD has made it very easy to find someone who doesn’t want kids. If it had been available in my twenties it would saved me a lot of heartache and wasted time.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:24 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Children yea or nay should certainly be discussed and if a major difference, the relationship should be ended.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:27 PM

52,290 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I’ve read some really ridiculous responses on here, but I think this might take the cake.
Agreed, rooted in complete lack of life experience.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The no vote always wins. People should never have kids just to keep a relationship. Kids deserve to be wanted, not tolerated.
Very nicely put.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:44 PM

334 posts, read 227,559 times
Quote:
I would think it would be incredibly hard to find someone who doesn’t want kids.
I know many who don't and haven't.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:27 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
We’re couples who broke up due to one person not wanting kids and the other wanting kids really in love? When I think in love, I think of doing anything for the other person. I am skeptical of if these people were really fully in love.
Quote:
Ok, so you think that if you're really in love with someone, you should agree to have kids with that person even if you don't really want kids? My opinion is that if you're really in love with someone then being with that person should be enough for you and you shouldn't feel the need to add kids to the situation. But no one cares about my opinion or yours and they're going to do what they want.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:50 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
OP, out of curiosity, what is the biggest disagreement you've had with your wife? Did you compromise, or did one of you completely defer to the other's wishes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships