Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 06:32 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I would say the person who doesn’t want kids agrees to have one. You don’t always get what you want. That’s part of being in a relationship and not being single. If my wife wants to live in the city and I want To live in the suburbs I’m not going to break up with her.
Yeah, no thanks.

Forcing someone to have a kid when they don't want one is a big no no. How is that fair to anyone involved?

Sometimes, things like this come up and a breakup is possible. That's life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 06:34 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellyy View Post
My friend dated a guy for 5 years. Up front she told him she wanted kids and he said the same. 5 years in when they were financially stable enough for her to want to start trying for a baby he admitted he didn't want kids and never had. He said he only told her he wanted kids when they started dating because he knew she wouldn't date him if he said he didn't. She loved him very much but left him because they both wanted different things in life and there is no compromise when it comes to wanting kids and not wanting kids
Jesus, that's messed up. He pretty much wasted 5 years of her life when she could have been looking for someone that genuinely wanted kids.

Did the guy not feel guilty at any point stringing her along that long? My god..

Old 01-19-2019, 06:53 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Jesus, that's messed up. He pretty much wasted 5 years of her life when she could have been looking for someone that genuinely wanted kids.

Did the guy not feel guilty at any point stringing her along that long? My god..
I had same reaction.

I don't know how but there should be some kind of punishment or at least some sort of disincentive for that kind of deception.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
Quote:
I would say the person who doesn’t want kids agrees to have one. You don’t always get what you want. That’s part of being in a relationship and not being single. If my wife wants to live in the city and I want To live in the suburbs I’m not going to break up with her.
It's unwise to adopt a pet together when both parties who will be responsible for its training and care are *not* onboard with the idea let alone create a new human being. There is no compromising when it comes to bringing a new life into a relationship. It's not like choosing a new sofa or house together, for goodness' sake, although you make it sound as simple as that.

That being said, when I was still dating, I refused to become seriously involved with a man who did not wish to have children. It was a top three deal breaker for me, in fact, as becoming a parent with a happily willing partner who also wished to raise a family was a long-held desire for me. There are certain things that you shouldn't have to convince someone to do or change about themselves; becoming a parent is one of them.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
We’re couples who broke up due to one person not wanting kids and the other wanting kids really in love? When I think in love, I think of doing anything for the other person. I am skeptical of if these people were really fully in love.
You can love someone and still want a different life than they want.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:55 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post

This happened to a friend of mine too. She blames herself for "wasting the last years" of her fertility on him.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
It'a really great to be the kid who a parent never wanted.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:02 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
It’s wrong for anyone to “trick” someone into having a child they don’t want. You should both be on the same page BEFORE getting married.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:06 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
From antiquity, marriage was the joining of property rights of two people for the benefit of progeny. If no children are desired, there is no reason to contract a marriage.
The woman can be a concubine, if she's supported.
If money changes hands, she's a prostitute.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
One of my parents wanted kids and the other didn't.

Needless to say, my siblings and I did not have a particularly happy childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships