Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
In what dictionary does “agree” equal “forceably”?

I never specified which sex did or did not want children. Interesting how you made that assumption and turned it into a femal victimazion thread. Would the female jump on top of the man and forceably get herself impregananted if she wanted children?
She used that as an example. Get off your high horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 PM

68 posts, read 35,300 times
Quote:
We’re couples who broke up due to one person not wanting kids and the other wanting kids really in love? When I think in love, I think of doing anything for the other person. I am skeptical of if these people were really fully in love.
My friend dated a guy for 5 years. Up front she told him she wanted kids and he said the same. 5 years in when they were financially stable enough for her to want to start trying for a baby he admitted he didn't want kids and never had. He said he only told her he wanted kids when they started dating because he knew she wouldn't date him if he said he didn't. She loved him very much but left him because they both wanted different things in life and there is no compromise when it comes to wanting kids and not wanting kids

Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
We’re couples who broke up due to one person not wanting kids and the other wanting kids really in love? When I think in love, I think of doing anything for the other person. I am skeptical of if these people were really fully in love.
Love doesn't require that you change who you are or what you want from life. Yes, people can be in love and want different things. Love doesn't mean compromising your happiness for the person you love, so if having kids or not having kids would make you unhappy, you shouldn't be expected to do that to prove your love. Love and compatibility are not necessarily the same thing. You can be fully in love but not be fully compatible - if you think they are indistinguishable than you have a very narrow understanding of love and relationships.

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She used that as an example. Get off your high horse.
Just making others aware of a sexist bias from posters. Sexism and twisting words is not wanted in my threads.

68 posts, read 35,300 times
Quote:
I would say the person who doesn’t want kids agrees to have one. You don’t always get what you want. That’s part of being in a relationship and not being single. If my wife wants to live in the city and I want To live in the suburbs I’m not going to break up with her.
How is that a compromise? Why doesn't the person who doesn't want kids just not have kids and the other person never gets a child since you don't always get what you want in life and all? (Sarcasm) I think it would be really sucky to find out one of your parents never wanted you and only had you because it was have a baby or end the relationship

Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellyy View Post
My friend dated a guy for 5 years. Up front she told him she wanted kids and he said the same. 5 years in when they were financially stable enough for her to want to start trying for a baby he admitted he didn't want kids and never had. He said he only told her he wanted kids when they started dating because he knew she wouldn't date him if he said he didn't. She loved him very much but left him because they both wanted different things in life and there is no compromise when it comes to wanting kids and not wanting kids
I feel bad for her. It's not like you have all the time in the world. If he knew from beginning, that's just wrong.

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Just making others aware of a sexist bias from posters. Sexism and twisting words is not wanted in my threads.
LOL

It's not sexism to try and clarify ignorance.

This is not about gender. It's about people knowing who they are and being intelligent enough to know that love is not just giving in on something as huge as having children.

People who know they don't want to be parents are smart to walk away. It doesn't mean they love the other person less, but that they know they can't share a life with such opposing philosophies. And the fact that a baby's life is in play makes it even more important.

Quote:
In what dictionary does “agree” equal “forceably”?

I never specified which sex did or did not want children. Interesting how you made that assumption and turned it into a femal victimazion thread. Would the female jump on top of the man and forceably get herself impregananted if she wanted children?
I've known women who have stopped taking birth control and didn't tell their partner because she wanted to get pregnant, but he didn't.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:14 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
That's why it's great that love can be defined in any way people wish. You define love your way and others their way. Not your place to define it for others.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I would say the person who doesn’t want kids agrees to have one. You don’t always get what you want. That’s part of being in a relationship and not being single. If my wife wants to live in the city and I want To live in the suburbs I’m not going to break up with her.
Compromise is a part of relationships but children is one issue you can't and shouldn't compromise on. It's not fair to anyone involved, especially the children. We're not talking about a house, car, job, or even a pet... children are the biggest responsibility in the world, and it's unfair to expect someone who doesn't want that responsible to deal with it for the rest of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships