Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:17 PM

880 posts, read 532,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellyy View Post
My friend dated a guy for 5 years. Up front she told him she wanted kids and he said the same. 5 years in when they were financially stable enough for her to want to start trying for a baby he admitted he didn't want kids and never had. He said he only told her he wanted kids when they started dating because he knew she wouldn't date him if he said he didn't. She loved him very much but left him because they both wanted different things in life and there is no compromise when it comes to wanting kids and not wanting kids
My sister told me that happened to her coworker a few years back, the girl was baby crazy and the guy she was dating said he wanted to wait until after they were married. They were together for about 5 years before they got married, after which he told her he didn't want kids. When asked why he didn't tell her before, he said he knew she would never have went out with him if she knew the truth. Not sure how it ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
One of my parents wanted kids and the other didn't.

Needless to say, my siblings and I did not have a particularly happy childhood.
Both of my parents wanted boys, prior to having me, they had two girls. 18 months after i was born they had their golden child. So i lost attention afterwards. Traumatic as a child, great for when i was a teen sneaking out of the house.

I had this discussion with my ex. I'm nearing the end of my child bearing years and sometimes i still get the pull to have one more. He was 15yrs older than me and didn't want anymore, but said he would if it was that important to me. I said that even if i did want more I wouldn't have one with him knowing that he didn't want it. If i felt very strongly about having another baby i would have left the relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 02:50 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I would think it would be incredibly hard to find someone who doesn’t want kids.
But not impossible. I never wanted kids, and have a few friends that felt the same (we're all past the kids stage, so not likely we'll change our minds).

Old 01-21-2019, 03:47 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,576 times
Quote:
I would think it would be incredibly hard to find someone who doesn’t want kids.
Actually, it's not

Old 01-21-2019, 04:00 PM

999 posts, read 554,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
But not impossible. I never wanted kids, and have a few friends that felt the same (we're all past the kids stage, so not likely we'll change our minds).
Considering that I often see people on this forum saying they don't ever want kids, I'd say it's a lot more common than people think.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:08 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Well, roughly 80% of US women eventually have at least one child, so you can say the vast majority want at least one, but, 20% of the US female population is not exactly an insignificant number of people. This does make random encounter "dating" sort of disappointing for the child-free guy, but, there are online options so you can meet only people who tick the "child free" box.

Apparently the online dating world for child-free is not all that good, maybe someone should set up a website specifically for this.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:08 AM

8,680 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
I would say the person who doesn’t want kids agrees to have one. You don’t always get what you want. That’s part of being in a relationship and not being single. If my wife wants to live in the city and I want To live in the suburbs I’m not going to break up with her.
The time to discuss children is before marriage - it’s just common sense to know if the other person is on the same page as you or not (with such a life altering decision). Children should be brought into this world because both parents wanted them. Parenting is hard enough as it is, I’m sure, without the added stress of making such an important decision based on compromise (that will last a lifetime). Living in the suburbs or city - or where to go to dinner - are compromises. Bringing a new life into this world is not - it’s not fair to the child.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:06 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Perfectly legit reason considering not everyone will be a good parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships