Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2022, 11:25 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinpuncher View Post
Do you think winning men want a lady who also isn’t winning?
Define "winning" for a woman.

Old 11-27-2022, 11:59 AM

217 posts, read 149,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Define "winning" for a woman.
I all ready did.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:23 PM

318 posts, read 176,936 times
I became single at age 34 after a 9-year longterm relationship. I began my adventures in dating 5 months later. I remember creating my Plenty-of-Fish profile on Christmas Day. My advice:

1 - Consider the first 6 months practice. Don't go in thinking you will find another longterm relationship quickly nor should you. Take the time to explore and meet different men. Have fun.

2 - The best guys I've found on the online dating sites are the newbies. Aim for the new users rather than the ones who have had accounts forever because there are reasons they are still looking years later--either they're players or they're weirdos or they lack skills with women. I've tried dating a couple of the oldies and its never resulted in good things.

3 - Create a detailed profile. But keep in mind, men often don't read your profile. They'll just message every woman on the site in hopes for a response.

4 - Beware of players. They are everywhere. Married men. Men with girlfriends. Men who just want a quick lay.

5 - Most longterm relationships of people age 18-40 are a result of meeting online. People do succeed a.t this.

6 - Take breaks from time to time. If you aren't having fun, take a break. Or switch sites.

7 - There are a lot of good genuine guys on online dating sites who want a longterm relationship. Ultimately, it all comes down to luck.

-------
Note: I never found a longterm relationship with online dating. I'm 39 now but that shouldn't make you lose hope. Take stock of your value. I never found anyone because the truth is, I realized I need some things to change about myself in order to be capable of a good relationship. On a pros and cons list for dating me, I just have too many cons. And as a person who weighs more (I weigh 249lbs), online dating is much harder than for an average-sized person. I have come to accept that if I ever really want to have a longterm relationship, that I need to lose the weight. I won't go on online dating again until I am under 200 lbs.

Old 11-28-2022, 02:08 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easilyjaded View Post
Because I only have about 6 months before I turn 35 and I know it will be exponentially harder when crossing that barrier.
Jeez. In the highly educated white collar professional parts of the country, turning 35 and unmarried is normal. I did a quick skim of your post history and see Houston and from Upstate NY, maybe Albany-ish. I’ve been to Houston many times on business but never lived there. It never struck me as a major white collar professional area with lots of unmarried late-30s men. A quick Google says the Houston metro ranks 57th for college educated adults. Link: https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...reas.html?_r=0

I think I’d move to a place where 18 year olds don’t get married and pop out kids.

Old 11-28-2022, 04:44 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Because I only have about 6 months before I turn 35 and I know it will be exponentially harder when crossing that barrier.
Why is that???? Nothing (bad) happens when you reach 35. You will not expire and lose more market value overnight.

Old 11-28-2022, 09:37 PM

880 posts, read 460,948 times
[quote=PassionateNortherner;64515881]I became single at age 34 after a 9-year longterm relationship. I began my adventures in dating 5 months later. I remember creating my Plenty-of-Fish profile on Christmas Day. My advice:

2 - The best guys I've found on the online dating sites are the newbies. Aim for the new users rather than the ones who have had accounts forever because there are reasons they are still looking years later--either they're players or they're weirdos or they lack skills with women. I've tried dating a couple of the oldies and its never resulted in good things.

So that would mean the same for women that'd been on 3 or 4 at once for yrs on end then too , right ! Which incandescently seems to be most of them.
Something l've wondered a lot about this last few wks as l've just joined 2 date sites.
Saw a lot of women still on them l'd seen 10yrs ago when l'd just gone through divorced .

Old 11-29-2022, 05:26 AM

54 posts, read 33,113 times
I think you should enjoy the freedom… I met my husband at 32, was turning 33. Married at 34. It is still young and you have so many options. If you want kids that is another issue. Luckily I did not need or desire to have kids.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:42 PM

63 posts, read 52,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Jeez. In the highly educated white collar professional parts of the country, turning 35 and unmarried is normal. I did a quick skim of your post history and see Houston and from Upstate NY, maybe Albany-ish. I’ve been to Houston many times on business but never lived there. It never struck me as a major white collar professional area with lots of unmarried late-30s men. A quick Google says the Houston metro ranks 57th for college educated adults. Link: https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...reas.html?_r=0

I think I’d move to a place where 18 year olds don’t get married and pop out kids.
I live in Baltimore now. I moved around a bit.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:56 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
I live in Baltimore now. I moved around a bit.
My Mom lived in Baltimore and got remarried at age 73 to a lovely 74 year old man after 9 years of widowhood. They had a wonderful, fun-filled marriage. So, don't give up hope!

Old 12-01-2022, 07:06 AM

63 posts, read 52,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
My Mom lived in Baltimore and got remarried at age 73 to a lovely 74 year old man after 9 years of widowhood. They had a wonderful, fun-filled marriage. So, don't give up hope!
I just know at age 35 I will be filtered out on dating apps. And not taken seriously as a long term prospect if I’m not filtered out. This number repulses a lot of men, for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.