Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 01:53 PM

1,438 posts, read 734,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Obviously, the New York Philharmonic is elite and represents a small minority of musicians, but the pay isn't too bad.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...evels/3732254/

Orchestra members in SF also make decent money.

https://www.sfcv.org/articles/music-...per%20musician.

Chicago too.

https://www.salon.com/2019/05/12/how...-free_partner/
Yep those guys although they are musicians that is a totally different culture, yep it's more steady work but I think I would be bored to tears as there is very little audience engagement.

playing violin in the 6th grade was a chore once my teacher figured out I was having trouble learning to read music(I could not wrap my head around it but I got good at playing by ear so I would listen to this girl in my class who lived on my street practice and mimic what she played) I wonder what my life would have been like had I gone that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 02:41 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think this can depend on location too. In Los Angeles, New York or Nashville, "musician" can mean a broad range of things. For example, you might have someone who writes musical scores, or a guy who gets steady gigs playing backup guitar at awards shows, or a guy who plays in the orchestra. These types often attended conservatory and have more formal musical training. You probably have more people in these cities who earn a decent living by being musicians.

Anywhere else where the entertainment industry isn't a big segment of the economy, you can probably assume that a musician is not very well-paid.
Totally agree with your points above. Also, musicians would probably make a more acceptable BF in large cities like NY. More of a "scene" and people who are later hours in general, eating dinner at 8pm and such. There are many more "alternative" jobs in the arts like museums and art galleries, and generally people out more at night then day jobs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-18-2023, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Totally agree with your points above. Also, musicians would probably make a more acceptable BF in large cities like NY. More of a "scene" and people who are later hours in general, eating dinner at 8pm and such. There are many more "alternative" jobs in the arts like museums and art galleries, and generally people out more at night then day jobs.
You and a few others have mentioned the whole working at night thing, well for most of my adult life even my regular jobs have been at night.

I never understood the stigma of that either, you still get the same or more amount of time together I'm usually asleep when she is at work and she is a sleep when I'm working and there is 8+ hours we are both not at work that we can spend together.

Old 05-19-2023, 12:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
When did being a musician start counting against you in the dating world ?? ?
When? When did it not?

So I ran into an old girlfriend a few years back. Said she said was seeing some new guy.
Oh yeah, I ask? What instrument does he play?

Old 05-19-2023, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When? When did it not?

So I ran into an old girlfriend a few years back. Said she said was seeing some new guy.
Oh yeah, I ask? What instrument does he play?
Yep a friend told me "sorry to tell you fewer women are into musicians but the few that are are reeeaaally into musicians" but it's hard to tell the difference between the "band bunnies" and the "groupies"(there is a difference) The former being the ones who prefer dating musicians the latter being the ones who NSA with musicians but rarely get into relationships with one. He also said I'm at a disadvantage because I'm not into the "party after the show" thing so I'm less likely to be where they all are at once.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:54 AM

639 posts, read 379,684 times
Quote:
You and a few others have mentioned the whole working at night thing, well for most of my adult life even my regular jobs have been at night.

I never understood the stigma of that either, you still get the same or more amount of time together I'm usually asleep when she is at work and she is a sleep when I'm working and there is 8+ hours we are both not at work that we can spend together.
When people have traditional professional jobs, they don't want to date people working second shift. It stinks. I wouldn't want to meet up at 2am or whenever when they get off when I have to be up at 6 or 7 am to work. There is no way we would have the same amount of time together unless we worked the same schedules. There is a reason why people who work in the restaurant industry generally date others in the same industry.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:14 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
When people have traditional professional jobs, they don't want to date people working second shift. It stinks. I wouldn't want to meet up at 2am or whenever when they get off when I have to be up at 6 or 7 am to work. There is no way we would have the same amount of time together unless we worked the same schedules. There is a reason why people who work in the restaurant industry generally date others in the same industry.
Exactly. It’s disingenuous to say that a musician works the same hours his partner is asleep. Are most musicians performing between 11pm and 7am?

Old 05-19-2023, 09:07 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Disingenuous is the right word.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:08 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Seems like a hard lifestyle. You have to be very passionate about it to stick with it for any considerable period of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsXfSII6iy4

Old 05-19-2023, 11:16 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Well yes and no I like to blend different genre's because my taste in music is all over the place, there are many who do the same and some even have record deal with major labels, but there are pros and cons to it, niche artists never gain a HUGE fanbase but they usually gain a very loyal fanbase, most mainstream artists get a few hits and disappear the Beyonce's and Madonna's(who stay relevant for decades) are the exception, it's why underground artists actually make more money over the course of their careers than mainstream artists because their careers last longer.

Oh and I'm no genius sadly, I play 4 instruments at a mediocre level but I think I am creative in that I have an ear for blending genre's.
and speaking of "the abyss"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5n6...d8VVDmJAVJ14RY

When I said niche, it's just that it's going to take a certain type of female to really appreciate what you do. I'm getting an industrial dubstep goth type of EDM vibe going on...and that's a niche group of folks right there. (I do the same w/ beats, but I'm more into hip hop and rare groove..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships