Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2023, 12:12 PM

1,438 posts, read 733,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
It's not playing the music, it is self identifying as a musician. That's an identity, and one that a person should have as an adult unless its their professional job. If you're working in sales, or at a restaurant, or in tech to making a living and self identify as a musician who is only doing those jobs to pay for their "art", well, that's a 20 somethings answer. It is ok when one is in their 20s as that's time to dream, but lets get down to reality at a certain point. The music is probably just a hobby, like bass fishing, or white water kayaking. No one identifies as a bass fisherman, or a white water kayaker, when they're a coder for a tech company.
Simple, they identify as the job they get more out of.
Huey Lewis sold "sears aluminum siding" that's what paid his bill's but he identified as a musician because that's where his passion was.

Gordon Sumner (sting) was a teacher but identified as a musician again because thats where his passion was.

if someone works at burgerking and starbucks is he a burger flipper or barista?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 12:23 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
It's like people who call themselves a "writer" because they keep a journal.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:30 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Huey Lewis sold "sears aluminum siding" that's what paid his bill's but he identified as a musician because that's where his passion was.

Gordon Sumner (sting) was a teacher but identified as a musician again because thats where his passion was.

Well that's great because they became very famous musicians. If they never made it big and were still just Huey the siding salesman and Gordon the teacher and continued to identify as "musician" it would be lame.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:33 PM

639 posts, read 377,993 times
Quote:

Sting was in a group with a major label contract and touring professionally before he was 28. Again, he was identifying as a musician in his 20s. Not 30s and 40s. By then hew WAS a professional musician.

Huey Lewis and the News had a major label contract before he was 30, and before then was playing professionally in Clover and touring with Elvis Costello in his mid 20s. Again, all before he was 30.

They were in their 20s. It's ok for someone in their 20s to identify like that. But a grown up who is doing it as a hobby or dreaming of making it big?

NO.

And yes, if you're in your 30s and flipping burgers, that is what you are. If you're making coffee, that is what you are. I was in sales, that was who I was, a salesman. Was it my passion? No. I needed to make a living. If I told someone when they asked what I was or what I did and I said walleye fisherman, they would have, rightly, laughed in my face as an adult.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:38 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
I remember a long time ago on Bill Mahar's Politically Incorrect show there was a kid on from one of those reality shows, Real World I think. Bill asked him his job and the kid said screenwriter. Bill asks if he's sold any scripts. Kid says no. Bill looks at him with stern face and says "You are NOT a screenwriter". Kid looked like he wanted to cry. I don't remember if the audience applauded but then I felt bad for the kid learning a lesson right there on national tv.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:42 PM

2,964 posts, read 1,638,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
It's not playing the music, it is self identifying as a musician. That's an identity, and one that a person should have as an adult unless its their professional job. If you're working in sales, or at a restaurant, or in tech to making a living and self identify as a musician who is only doing those jobs to pay for their "art", well, that's a 20 somethings answer. It is ok when one is in their 20s as that's time to dream, but lets get down to reality at a certain point. The music is probably just a hobby, like bass fishing, or white water kayaking. No one identifies as a bass fisherman, or a white water kayaker, when they're a coder for a tech company.
I agree. If someone wants to call himself a musician though that's fine, gives a little insight as to how they see themselves.

But I've never referred to people by the job they do, like he's a bricklayer. No, he's a person whose current job is laying brick. People rarely stay in the same job all their working life like they used to anyway. Next year he might start selling life insurance. Or become an investment banker.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:44 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Lol So guilty until proven innocent?

would you pay a cover to watch an investment banker work?

This isn't a criminal court trial. People will often rule out option groups that are 90% likely to not work out. They don't have to prove that every option in the group is wrong.

People often pay investment bankers to work. Managing their portfolios, which are infinitely more important to them than an evening of entertainment.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:45 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
They're impressed by a guy who's stable and financially-independent, yup. And what if a guy's really good at investment banking? Why is that "talent" less valuable than music?
And there's another reason - musicians often fell smug and superior, like their skills are special.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:50 PM

2,964 posts, read 1,638,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And there's another reason - musicians often fell smug and superior, like their skills are special.
Many artistic people feel that way. A big ego is part of it.

Another reason to stay away.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:15 PM

1,438 posts, read 733,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Now imagine a man, he's already got an ex who has his child and music, even though it does pay...it's not exactly paying a lot. I mean, what do you classify it as on your taxes? Are you self employed with that? Or is it an elaborate hobby? Is it somewhere in between? A woman who is ambitiously chasing success in a career, especially if she already has kids or wants to have them... Like I can tell you, for many years I set aside all of my hobbies and passions. It was as though my partner expected that I should suddenly become passionate about doing the dishes and changing diapers for fun while he got to keep on playing video games in his "spare time"...which, to the point, he demanded and I didn't get at all.
My distributor had me fill out a tax form like any other job, they are the ones that post my music on all the streaming services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Also, am I remembering right that you were the guy who wanted that "honeymoon phase" energy to keep on permanently? Or am I confusing you with another dude here? (Sorry, I've been here a while and like many things in life it blurs together after a while...)

Well anyhow I can tell you that being the woman who is supposed to do all of the totally unappreciated and not really noticed work while the guy plays and plays and all of shared marital life is about his joy while her experience is being ignored...or maybe she's supposed to just find joy in providing it to everyone else... AND the fella still expects her to be his own special sex kitten when the sun goes down?

What I'm tryin' to say is that women these days are pretty sensitive to the notion of a man who expects her to be the grown up and do all the work while he takes for granted a right to a life of never ending playtime. The second we sniff a whiff of that vibe, we're out. At least...those of us who have seen a little life. It's not "back in the good ol' days women thought this was cool"...it's that back then you were interacting with younger women who did not know any better. The women in your age group now, do. They grew up. Now...maybe you did, too? /shrug...I admit, I don't know you. But are you giving them that impression, though?
I can think of a few examples of artistic types who actually made more money than their partner and still had their income thrown in their face, the friend I mentioned from LA dated/lived with an actor for 4 years every years they were together his income was double hers and one year over triple but her issue was it was sporadic, he would go weeks or months with no work then BAM he would end up getting commercials and bit parts as an extra back to back not change your life money but more than most average working class people get all at once, so she said she was frustrated because technically he was bringing more money into the houshold than she was but they could never plan out for anything because they never knew if next month was going to be a slow or busy month for him.

And another friend who dated a country singer who toured but only regionally as everyone in his band had families and he was with her so they were never gone more than a day or 2, and again he brought home more than she did annually but month to month not so much. but with him it was atleast more predictable than the actor as certain times of the year were consistently busy with fairs, festivals and live events while in the winter months it was back to divebars and honkytonks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships