Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2023, 09:36 AM

8,737 posts, read 3,908,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I know at least three women who are seemingly helpless and constantly call on their mates to take care of the simplest tasks. What perplexes me is the mates seem happy with the fact they must come to the rescue to change a light bulb, kill a bug, air up a tire, make a decision, etc. Perhaps it boosts their egos, IDK.
Quote:
Do you never think about trivial things independently when observed or when brought up in conversation? Because you seem to be expressing thoughts and opinions on these same trivial things relative to other persons.
No, I’ve never thought about whether a woman asks me to kill a bug or not - yet alone relative to my friends’ wives or girlfriends. I simply responded to (and disagreed with) your comment; it’s nonsensical to me you’d consider it an important point of mention relative to the thread. It’s also odd to me you think of it in terms of ‘boosting male egos’; mind if I ask if you are a man or a woman?

A professional career-minded woman is still a modern woman, even if she hates spiders or has a desire to ‘traditionally’ stay home/bond/breastfeed her baby for several months. That said, I think you’ve lost sight of the feelings involved and the bigger picture regarding ‘the simplest tasks’; many couples help each other relative to such. It’s a positive gesture within the context of a loving, healthy relationship rather than a ‘do it yourself’ attitude, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
This reminds me of when me and my partner were traveling in Sicily, I had rented a car which was manual like most cars there at the time. On our way back to the hotel, something was definitely very wrong with my stomach. We made it back only to find out my partner had left her purse, and passport at some restaurant 1 hour drive back. Unfortunately for me, she couldn't drive stick so I had to drive back with her, fighting my stomach the whole way (many many pit stops ).
Today, a ‘modern’ woman could have just taken an Uber and/or contacted the police. ;-) Point being, it’s whether or not a woman is self-supporting and can manage life on her own i.e. the bigger picture (as opposed to driving a stick, changing a tire or whatnot).

That said, both of you missed the boat by carrying passports to restaurants and such while traveling.

Old 11-29-2023, 10:36 AM

36,634 posts, read 30,953,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
No, I’ve never thought about whether a woman asks me to kill a bug or not - yet alone relative to my friends’ wives or girlfriends. I simply responded to (and disagreed with) your comment; it’s nonsensical to me you’d consider it an important point of mention relative to the thread. It’s also odd to me you think of it in terms of ‘boosting male egos’; mind if I ask if you are a man or a woman?

A professional career-minded woman is still a modern woman, even if she hates spiders or has a desire to ‘traditionally’ stay home/bond/breastfeed her baby for several months. That said, I think you’ve lost sight of the feelings involved and the bigger picture regarding ‘the simplest tasks’; many couples help each other relative to such. It’s a positive gesture within the context of a loving, healthy relationship rather than a ‘do it yourself’ attitude, lol.
Again, its not about asking to kill a bug. The post I responded to: I also like “practical girls” who know how to at least change a tire or drive stick. is regarding practicality. The poster sees changing a tire of driving a stick shift as practical while my examples were things like killing bugs. So I used examples of marriages in which the wives were not practical IMO and it has nothing to do with being a professional career minded person or a SAH.

Not sure why you find that so distressing and are hung up on killing bugs. Simple tasks, that is the big picture. When you have a spouse that must rely on you for everyday things all the time. I'm not talking about doing nice things for one another or positive gestures. When a spouse is called away from work to come home to kill a bug or go to the store to help pick out something, or take the dogs to the vet, or put air in your tire, or meet the cable guy, etc., etc. or it dosen't get done. Or when a spouse "cant" wash a load of clothes, or cook dinner, or change a diaper under any circumstances, etc.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:21 AM

8,737 posts, read 3,908,111 times
Quote:
Simple tasks, that is the big picture. When you have a spouse that must rely on you for everyday things all the time. I'm not talking about doing nice things for one another or positive gestures. When a spouse is called away from work to come home to kill a bug or go to the store to help pick out something, or take the dogs to the vet, or put air in your tire, or meet the cable guy, etc., etc. or it dosen't get done.
Point being, I think there’s a huge distinction between ‘must rely’ vs. prefer not to do. The big picture is relative to how you treat each other i.e. do you yell at them they’re helpless (relative to a simple task) or do you gladly help each other?

That said, you’ve certainly changed the goalposts/context as it now involves being called home from work in order to kill a bug or put air in tires, lol.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 11-29-2023 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Corrected my error in copying the quoted post

Old 11-29-2023, 12:08 PM

27,663 posts, read 28,756,270 times
Quote:
When you have a spouse that must rely on you for everyday things all the time. I'm not talking about doing nice things for one another or positive gestures. When a spouse is called away from work to come home to kill a bug or go to the store to help pick out something, or take the dogs to the vet, or put air in your tire, or meet the cable guy, etc., etc. or it dosen't get done. Or when a spouse "cant" wash a load of clothes, or cook dinner, or change a diaper under any circumstances, etc.
I think of pumping air in a tire, filling up the oil tank, talking to the cable guy or roofer or electrician, etc., as manly things to do. Washing clothes or cooking dinner or feeding the baby are usually things that a woman does.

It doesn't have to be that way, of course. But more often than not, that is how things works out. Division of labor and all that.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Point being, I think there’s a huge distinction between ‘must rely’ vs. prefer not to do. The big picture is relative to how you treat each other i.e. do you yell at them they’re helpless (relative to a simple task) or do you gladly help each other?

That said, you’ve certainly changed the goalposts/context as it now involves being called home from work in order to kill a bug or put air in tires, lol.
I did not change goalposts I did not go into great detail in my initial post. I did not say prefer not to, I said "seemingly helpless and constantly call on their mates to take care of the simplest tasks" and "come to the rescue". In my mind that implies more of relies on.
I didn't think I had to draw a picture.
The original definition of practical was changing a tire and driving a stick. No problem with that?

Old 11-29-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think of pumping air in a tire, filling up the oil tank, talking to the cable guy or roofer or electrician, etc., as manly things to do. Washing clothes or cooking dinner or feeding the baby are usually things that a woman does.

It doesn't have to be that way, of course. But more often than not, that is how things works out. Division of labor and all that.
I agree it is generally the tasks each take. The point of practicality to me is that the other CAN do those things and does not have to rely on the other to do so.
For example, I can and do put air in my tires. I carry a gauge in my car and we have an air compressor, but if my son or grand is there I will ask them to do it, if not I do it. Same for checking and adding oil. I can certainly call, set up appointments and meet repair people, but if I'm at work and someone else is not, I ask them to do it. I also ask them to carry heavy stuff when they are there.

I did most of the cooking, etc. when I was married, but if I was sick, or busy, or had to work late, etc. my spouse could/would do it.
That is having a practical mate, IMO. Agreeing on a division of labor is great, normal I would say but couples also need to be flexible and pragmatic.

I know and have known spouses who could not or would not or just did not ever switch the division of labor even when it meant things not getting done or having to call the other away from what they are doing, including their job, to do it for them.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:39 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,519,188 times
Quote:
Today, a ‘modern’ woman could have just taken an Uber and/or contacted the police. ;-) Point being, it’s whether or not a woman is self-supporting and can manage life on her own i.e. the bigger picture (as opposed to driving a stick, changing a tire or whatnot).

That said, both of you missed the boat by carrying passports to restaurants and such while traveling.
Not every location has Uber (back then I doubt Sicily had either). And I doubt police would drive your purse back to your hotel. But never tried that.

But, point is not about modern woman vs traditional woman. But being able to drive stick. Too many people get driver's licenses without being able to drive this class of car lol.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Not every location has Uber (back then I doubt Sicily had either). And I doubt police would drive your purse back to your hotel. But never tried that.

But, point is not about modern woman vs traditional woman. But being able to drive stick. Too many people get driver's licenses without being able to drive this class of car lol.
Because only 3.7% of cars in the US are manuals. What would most people even use to learn to drive one? And like myself I learned on one 46 years ago. Have never had the need or opportunity to drive one in over 40 years. Most likely couldn't now.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:28 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,519,188 times
Quote:
Because only 3.7% of cars in the US are manuals. What would most people even use to learn to drive one? And like myself I learned on one 46 years ago. Have never had the need or opportunity to drive one in over 40 years. Most likely couldn't now.
Back when I was a kid just about every sports car was a stick. Now I guess that has changed. Also, if you know how to drive a motorcycle, essentially it would be very quick for you to pick up a stick on a car.

But regardless, if you have a driver's license but cannot drive an entire class of transmission, I think it's time to introduce two classes of driver's license.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:31 PM

22,636 posts, read 47,782,880 times
Quote:
But regardless, if you have a driver's license but cannot drive an entire class of transmission, I think it's time to introduce two classes of driver's license.
Oh, please...

I learned how to drive a stick in the early 80s.
I have NOT had to drive one since.
Why should I carry - and pay for - two licenses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.