Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 09:59 AM

1,178 posts, read 687,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of this is going to be dependent on where you live.

I live in a small town with pretty traditional family values. I'd say most of the working class women I went to high school with had kids by 25, often multiple kids, and often no longer with the father of those kids. They end up pregnant with their high school sweetheart, that doesn't work, and they bust up. It's statistically uncommon for a woman in this situation to be earning even the median income. They're likely going to need some level of financial or other support, like childcare.

I'm not interested in dating someone in this situation. I'd rather date someone with no kids who doesn't work than a low income single mom. It's just usually less drama. I might sleep with the single mom, but that would be about it. I've put the kibosh on several potential relationships that likely would have otherwise gone somewhere, but the kids just annoyed me.

If you live in a major coastal city with people that are career driven, it's unlikely many will be having kids in their 20s, and the dating pool is just better overall.
“You might sleep with a single mom...but that is about it.”
My point exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 11:18 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,477,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
nothing wrong with being a single mother just as long as you realize most men aren't interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
“You might sleep with a single mom...but that is about it.”
My point exactly.
The majority of single moms get no shortage of attention, especially if they are using Tinder or Bumble. Single moms can have sex on demand. Commitment is usually another story. Many single moms struggle to obtain commitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The same can especially be said about deadbeat dads.
Not at all. Deadbeat males in general have little trouble getting female attention. In general, the average male that has served prison time has had more female sexual partners than the average male who has not served prison time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of this is going to be dependent on where you live.

I live in a small town with pretty traditional family values. I'd say most of the working class women I went to high school with had kids by 25, often multiple kids, and often no longer with the father of those kids. They end up pregnant with their high school sweetheart, that doesn't work, and they bust up. It's statistically uncommon for a woman in this situation to be earning even the median income. They're likely going to need some level of financial or other support, like childcare.

I'm not interested in dating someone in this situation. I'd rather date someone with no kids who doesn't work than a low income single mom. It's just usually less drama. I might sleep with the single mom, but that would be about it. I've put the kibosh on several potential relationships that likely would have otherwise gone somewhere, but the kids just annoyed me.

If you live in a major coastal city with people that are career driven, it's unlikely many will be having kids in their 20s, and the dating pool is just better overall.
Women who do not pursue higher education or at most have an associate degree/trade school education are usually mothers by 25, 27 at the latest. This Pew Research data from 2015 supports the claim to an extent. The data is based from a sample of women 40-50 who had ever given birth. Keep in mind that these women were born from 1965-1975, which was a slightly different era. In the sample, median age for 1st childbirth for a woman whose highest educational attainment is high school or less is 24. For associate's/trade school, it is 25. For a holder of a bachelor's degree, it is 28. Master's or higher is 30. If you consider any women that have ever given birth, it probably would push all these figures up higher.

I live in a major United States city, albeit one that is not on the coasts. It is not difficult in this city to find woman who are 30+ with no marriages and no kids.

As for the quality of the dating pool, big cities are not a picnic. Women in large U.S. cities have too much choice and big cities (750,000+ in the metropolitan area) are basically cesspools for the mating market. Some of the worst attributes are there. The best cities for the quality of the pool are the mid-sized cities (150,000 - 750,000). Large enough to have choices, but small enough to avoid the cesspool issues of large city dating.

Last edited by RJ312; 09-02-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 11:41 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Not at all. Deadbeat males in general have little trouble getting female attention. In general, the average male that has served prison time has had more female sexual partners than the average male who has not served prison time.
And what caliber of woman is beating down the door to be with either of these types of men? Exactly!

Old 09-02-2018, 12:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,477,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
And what caliber of woman is beating down the door to be with either of these types of men? Exactly!
The average auto thief has more options in the mating marketplace than the average accountant. It's a turn on for many women across the spectrum to be with a exciting guy. A guy involved in criminal activity is more exciting than an accountant or an engineer.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:11 PM

1,199 posts, read 732,704 times
Quote:
The average auto thief has more options in the mating marketplace than the average accountant. It's a turn on for many women across the spectrum to be with a exciting guy. A guy involved in criminal activity is more exciting than an accountant or an engineer.
You’re reading too much internet and not actually getting it.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:18 PM

102,259 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
lol. Think about the kind of women who'd be into the local auto thief or jailbird. Most guys would prefer not to think about that. They set their sights higher. But I guess now we know what kind of women RJ considers "dateable"....

Old 09-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Nope, you're way off. Or, I gotta get out more.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post

Nailed it, RedWings18!

Old 09-02-2018, 12:46 PM

1,058 posts, read 678,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I just need to vent a little frustration. I am out in the dating game giving 100% just like most single guys in their mid-20's, but I have hit a rut lately where every attractive, single woman I meet has at LEAST one kid and was never married to the father.

Don't get me wrong. I love kids and want to have a family of my own someday. If I were in my 40's and still single, I would accept the fact that there probably aren't going to be too many childless women in my dating pool. But at 26, I'm just not ready for a ready-made family.

So here is my question. Doesn't ANYONE wait to get MARRIED before they have babies anymore? Mitt Romney caught some flack for saying basically the same thing at CPAC last year, but the man is right. Take it from a 26-year-old male who is tired of his dating pool being saturated with kids. Time for the lifeguard to blow the whistle for adults-only swim.

End rant.
I'm with you pimp

Old 09-02-2018, 05:20 PM

272 posts, read 185,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
That's not what I meant, B. I think it's perfectly okay not to want to marry someone who has children -- but I believe it's okay for people of both sexes. Men should not be offended if women don't want to raise their children from prior relationships or deal with custody/visitation/child-support crap.

Absolutely true for both sexes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships