Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 03:28 PM

49 posts, read 201,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
You do realize, of course, it cuts both ways.
True, but there already exists a lot of support out there for women, from their peers and family to the media and society in general. Men, if not the "villains", are often viewed as we should be "able to handle it". I for one, would not be able to handle someone else's kids and a jealous ex-husband on top of the existing pressures of a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 03:31 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,698,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister85 View Post
True, but there already exists a lot of support out there for women, from their peers and family to the media and society in general. Men, if not the "villains", are often viewed as we should be "able to handle it". I for one, would not be able to handle someone else's kids and a jealous ex-husband on top of the existing pressures of a relationship.
That's not what I meant, B. I think it's perfectly okay not to want to marry someone who has children -- but I believe it's okay for people of both sexes. Men should not be offended if women don't want to raise their children from prior relationships or deal with custody/visitation/child-support crap.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:33 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,460,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister85 View Post
Yeah, I'm going to the South in 6 months or so and I'm kind of scared about this. Seems too many Southern girls get married early and have children early, then get divorced by 25 and are ready for the second go-around.

Fortunately more women are willing to marry up in age, so hopefully in my 30s I can find some woman in her late 20s who isn't a divorced mother!
If you are going to a large Southern metro area, such as Atlanta...or even some of the "secondary" ones, you will have nothing to worry about...nothing. There are so many women from the Northeast and the Midwest that have relocated to Southern cities, especially the larger ones, that it won't be a problem finding dates and a potential relationship.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
That's not what I meant, B. I think it's perfectly okay not to want to marry someone who has children -- but I believe it's okay for people of both sexes. Men should not be offended if women don't want to raise their children from prior relationships or deal with custody/visitation/child-support crap.
Sorry, my mistake. And yes, I agree with that- I wouldn't expect it from a woman either if that was the situation.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you are going to a large Southern metro area, such as Atlanta...or even some of the "secondary" ones, you will have nothing to worry about...nothing. There are so many women from the Northeast and the Midwest that have relocated to Southern cities, especially the larger ones, that it won't be a problem finding dates and a potential relationship.
It'll probably be in Florida, like Jackonsville or Tallahassee. I know Florida is different from the rest of the South, but a friend who went to college in northern Florida said the northern part of the state is pretty old school South. I've lived in various states in the mid-Atlantic so I'm far from the Burt Reynolds "good-ol'-boy" type, ha ha.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,315,377 times
Well, I hope I don't step in it here. But, during my single life, I avoided single moms. Not because I couldn't handle the responsibility of an instant family. Rather it was because I felt she had a "any port in a storm" mentality. Maybe she would have married me because she loved me. Maybe she would have married me because she was struggling on her own. Either way, I would have had my doubts.

Now, if my wife were hit by a bus and I could ever pick myself up off the floor, I wouldn't have a problem marrying someone with a kid or two. As long as our collective family chemistry was good, that is.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:37 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,523,922 times
women with a college education usually wait or do not have them at all.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:49 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,460,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Rather it was because I felt she had a "any port in a storm" mentality. Maybe she would have married me because she loved me. Maybe she would have married me because she was struggling on her own. Either way, I would have had my doubts.
Exactly.

Because the criteria are evidently different than those when picking a "high school/college/grad school/starting out in the work world" spouse, so there is a justified element of distrust to begin with.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 AM

4,907 posts, read 14,180,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I just need to vent a little frustration. I am out in the dating game giving 100% just like most single guys in their mid-20's, but I have hit a rut lately where every attractive, single woman I meet has at LEAST one kid and was never married to the father.

Don't get me wrong. I love kids and want to have a family of my own someday. If I were in my 40's and still single, I would accept the fact that there probably aren't going to be too many childless women in my dating pool. But at 26, I'm just not ready for a ready-made family.

So here is my question. Doesn't ANYONE wait to get MARRIED before they have babies anymore? Mitt Romney caught some flack for saying basically the same thing at CPAC last year, but the man is right. Take it from a 26-year-old male who is tired of his dating pool being saturated with kids. Time for the lifeguard to blow the whistle for adults-only swim.

End rant.
Your generation was raised to have babies without rings. Get over it. Maybe when you have a daughter you'll teach her about how having sex without either condoms or pills produces children which, in turn, makes dating "just that more complicated."

Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,573,660 times
Um, the reason you are meeting so many women with children is that the fathers took off and have nothing to do with what is 50% their responsibility, too.

Hey, I'm with you. I would never get involved with someone who already had children by someone else. But placing all the blame on the woman is a little short-sighted. Why didn't the dad take the kid to live with him (leaving his mom free to date)?!!

Or how about we freakin' close our legs, ladies...until we have real commitment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships