Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM

52,325 posts, read 52,791,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Oh, I dropped out of high school.
And, like most drop-outs, I don't have a "career"; just a series of jobs (although admittedly, I have a particularly choice one at the moment).

That does not prevent me from being proud that- in attitude and opinion- I typically find myself aligned with the intelligentsia.
We are brainwashed, well maybe that's a too strong of term, how about highly subconsciously encouraged to think that intelligence and smarts comes only from structured academia.

Many many intelligent and well read people haven't gone to college or have advanced degrees, granted many do,but many don't.

Look at guys like Bill Gates, a Harvard dropout. I think, not sure but I think Thomas Edison didn't go to college.

Some people get pretty egoic about what college they went to blah, blah, blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 01:21 PM

14,565 posts, read 23,094,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I love tattoos, I have a few myself...they don't gross me out, but the "tattoo-less" judgemental people do gross me out.
What's judgmental about not wanting to date someone with tattoos? If I wasn't attracted to redheads, does that make me judgmental? When you were dating, were you judgmental when you didn't want to date someone with (insert random physical trait here)?

That isn't being judgmental, it's simply each and every one of us has traits we want and don't want in potential mates.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:29 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,089,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What's judgmental about not wanting to date someone with tattoos? If I wasn't attracted to redheads, does that make me judgmental? When you were dating, were you judgmental when you didn't want to date someone with (insert random physical trait here)?

That isn't being judgmental, it's simply each and every one of us has traits we want and don't want in potential mates.
It becomes judgemental when you add the words "trashy" and "dirty".

Old 06-20-2009, 01:33 PM

14,565 posts, read 23,094,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
It becomes judgemental when you add the words "trashy" and "dirty".
There is a major difference between "looks trashy/dirty" and actually being trashy/dirty. We've seen both statements made on this thread, but I subscribe to the former fact.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:36 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,089,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
There is a major difference between "looks trashy/dirty" and actually being trashy/dirty. We've seen both statements made on this thread, but I subscribe to the former fact.
That's ok...I agree, there is a difference....I think judgemental people are trashy and dirty....but they don't look it....you have to dig deeper to find the shallowness.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:50 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,128,633 times
9 times out of 10 a tatoo means she's got a serious attitude, sleeps around, or is just plain psycho. That's my experience anyway.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:50 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,383,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Why do people cover tattoos if they are so great? Put them where people can see them. How about on your face and hands?
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Why do women cover their breasts if they are so great?
In an effort to mediate this argument, feel free to put your breasts on my face and hands.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:56 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,355,305 times
Tattoos are great as long as they arent tacky or something that wasnt thought out. every tattoo should be well thought out.

I personally think that most women with tattoos, especially alot are really hot. I wont date a girl that doesnt at least like tattoos. Barely date ones without them. Tattoos add personality in most cases.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:44 PM

733 posts, read 1,929,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I've met a LOT of people with tattoos and body piercings, some became casual friends, some are co-workers... and not one of those people has ever impressed me or caused me to be envious of their permanent body art markings.
you probably didn't impress them either.....

Quote:
And I do agree with yoyogirl, it does make them like low class trash or wannabe artsy/music people on first impression, or they are people with occasional lapses in good judgment.
again with the benighted generalizations.... who says they aren't? Have you taken a good look as some of the most successful rock bands? They aren't "wannabe" artist.....There also happen to be many successful painters, sculptures, mixed media, etc artists to have tattoos.

Quote:
And if I were an employer, I wouldn't hire them for any positions where they would be coming in visual contact with my customers or public unless their tattoos and piercings could be completely covered up. Even then, I would wonder about their commitment to having a serious long term employment to a real career.
well that is your perogative.

Quote:
So how old are you? What's your highest level of education? And what do you do for work?
If you look thru these posts you can find most of this info....though I really don't feel I need to justify who I am to you. Also, if you had read thru this thread, you would have seen the link I posted of the doctors, CEO's, and many other highly respectable people in respectable positions who are heavily tattooed. Just because a person is attracted to a type of art that may not be attractive to mainstream america, doesn't immediately make them any less than someone who is not.

If that were the case, I could lump you in with all the meth heads out there, because most meth heads don't have tattoos because they are too set on getting their next fix, and would rather spend their money on drugs....

but see how ridiculous that would be for me to do?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:28 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,383,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu
So how old are you? What's your highest level of education? And what do you do for work?

Replied by NOLOVELOST:

If you look thru these posts you can find most of this info....though I really don't feel I need to justify who I am to you. Also, if you had read thru this thread, you would have seen the link I posted of the doctors, CEO's, and many other highly respectable people in respectable positions who are heavily tattooed. Just because a person is attracted to a type of art that may not be attractive to mainstream america, doesn't immediately make them any less than someone who is not.

If that were the case, I could lump you in with all the meth heads out there, because most meth heads don't have tattoos because they are too set on getting their next fix, and would rather spend their money on drugs....

but see how ridiculous that would be for me to do?

To corroborate your point, I have a doctorate, a residency, two fellowships, three master's degrees, and two tattoos. I have never found that the tattoos interfere with patient acceptance or my productivity in the hospital. Just my personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships