Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,000 times

Advertisements

All of this debate is moot. Legally, it is the woman's decision. The U.S. Supreme Court has held that a man may NOT have a veto over a woman's abortion decision: "it is the woman who physically bears the child and who is the more directly and immediately affected by the pregnancy, as between the two [i.e. the mother and the father] the balance weighs in her favor." (Planned Parenthood of Central Missouri v. Danforth, 428 U.S. 52, 1976.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
Child support is a responsibility, not a right.

Though, I certainly see your point.
Whose responsibility?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:04 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Whose responsibility?
I didn't make the statement, but my answer would be both. A child is the financial responsibility of both parents. No parent should be allowed to "sign off" THAT responsibility, otherwise taxpayers wind up picking up the tab for these kids.

You absolutely positively don't want to support a child? Then don't have sex. I shouldn't have to pay to raise your "mistake".

Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I didn't make the statement, but my answer would be both. A child is the financial responsibility of both parents. No parent should be allowed to "sign off" THAT responsibility, otherwise taxpayers wind up picking up the tab for these kids.

You absolutely positively don't want to support a child? Then don't have sex. I shouldn't have to pay to raise your "mistake".
Makes sense.......but why does just the mother decide the fate of the pregnancy? Why does the father have equal responsibility but not equal rights?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Makes sense.......but why does just the mother decide the fate of the pregnancy? Why does the father have equal responsibility but not equal rights?
Because her body is the vessel. If men carried the child, it would certainly be reversed.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 PM

604 posts, read 1,186,379 times
Quote:
Because of many reasons....follow the logic of the argument. Not only what professorsenator said about federal law, but even IF men were granted a say in abortion, even IF the woman had to get the man's consent, that wouldn't help your case, because what are you fighting for? The right to abandon your unborn child. And fighting for this right, for any reason, will never make sense.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Because of many reasons....follow the logic of the argument. Not only what professorsenator said about federal law, but even IF men were granted a say in abortion, even IF the woman had to get the man's consent, that wouldn't help your case, because what are you fighting for? The right to abandon your unborn child. And fighting for this right, for any reason, will never make sense.

Actually, I'm not fighting for anything. I'm just asking questions. I have never been, nor will ever be, in a situation such as this.

That being said......the question I am asking is: why should a man have responsibilities but no rights when it comes to a pregnancy?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 PM

604 posts, read 1,186,379 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm not fighting for anything. I'm just asking questions. I have never been, nor will ever be, in a situation such as this.

That being said......the question I am asking is: why should a man have responsibilities but no rights when it comes to a pregnancy?
Well, first-off, are you really asking why should a man have responsibilities? I have to address the first part of that question before I can understand what you're getting at here.......So I guess I don't understand the question.....both parents have responsibilities. What rights are you talking about?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Already answered. You cannot expect to have control over a woman's body. It's really that simple.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:04 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,478,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Already answered. You cannot expect to have control over a woman's body. It's really that simple.
It's really NOT that simple.

As I said in an earlier post, ask any doctor: a pregnant woman in a doctor's office is 2 patients, not 1.

It is, medically, more that just "her body."

Quote:
Why does the father have equal responsibility but not equal rights?
EXACTLY my point. The only logical answer is: You either have rights AND responsibilities, or you have neither. A woman who wants a baby in spite of her partner's wishes, and still expects child support, just wants to have her cake and eat it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Sorry Merth, I think its neat. I especially like the cast with "where the wildthings are" painted on it.
I wonder if you would also want a cast of the father's penis. Painted with sea monkeys, perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships