Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeeighty2 View Post
Hmmm... I guess it depends in the situation? I am very "pro-choice" if the girl wants to keep the baby, it shouldn't matter what any one thinks, the same way if she doesn't, however... it does take 2 to tango, and I would give him the chance to at least know what is going on...
Well the argument that is really being made here is that if she's going to keep the baby against the wishes of the father, then she should be solely responsible for raising the child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:38 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
After reading this interesting paper
Bastardy and Baby Farming in Victorian England

I wonder if anyones opinion would change if a woman didnt have the choice of a safe legal abortion or an regulated adoption.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:59 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Great post. By having sex, even with contraceptives, are you not assuming the risk of pregnancy and giving consent for life to possibly develop?
I'm inclined to this view. If you don't want to risk pregnancy, then don't have sex.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
i dont think a man should force a woman to carry the child to term. but i do think that a man should have the option of relinquishing parental/financial responsibility if he does not want the child, but she does.

ultimately it is still her choice.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
This would condemn millions of innocent children to lives in which they will not receive the financial support they need in order to grow and thrive.

All of you hardcore anti-choice people need to remember that you can't have it both ways. You can't scream that choice needs to be taken away so that the children get a fair shake, and then say that the fathers get a Get Out Of Jail Free card. If it's all for the kids, then both parties need to buck up and take responsibility for accidents.

(Note: I don't know if the person to whom I'm replying is hardline anti-choice, I'm just using his post as an example)
Completely agree.

I find this subject mind boggling really because it's not like it's new information. Nothing has changed. It still takes two to make a baby. Sex still can eventuate in pregnancy. The foetus is still only able to grow and develop within a woman's uterus AND once a pregnancy occurs the ultimate choice as to whether or not it continues still rests with the woman. Children still have the right once they exist to be cared for and nurtured and supported by BOTH parents REGARDLESS of whether one or the other parent would like to abdicate their responsibilty.

Ultimately I believe that people need to accept the status quo as it stands AND work out how that impacts them and act accordingly.

If you're a man then exercise your choice at the point of the process where you are able to make it IF you don't want to be a parent. IF despite your best efforts to the contrary you end up being a parent then seriously quit whining and get with the program. There's a child in this world that comes from you. Is your blood. I don't want to hear about how you don't have any choices. You have plenty and you need to exercise them responsibly. Why compound the issue by trying to skip out? Your child, regardless of how you feel about the mother or the circumstances surrounding the birth, deserves that.

If you're a woman and you don't want to be a parent you need to exercise your choice at the point of the process where you are able to make it IF you don't want to be a parent. It just turns out you have choices with regard to birth control in order to prevent pregnancy AND you have choices with regard termination should birth control fail. Exercise BOTH these choices responsibly. IF despite your best efforts you end up pregnant then in my opinion unless you're dealing with a rapist or psychopath then you have a moral obligation to yourself AND your offspring AND the father to discuss what happens now AND in the future. I believe the ultimate decision does rest with the woman BUT pregnancy is NOT an opportunity to play power games. Think long and hard about the impact your choices now will have on your child both in the immediate and long term future. Your child deserves parents that are present, and responsible. If that's not you or it's not the male contributor then think long and hard about abortion or adoption OR a life of single parenthood and the impact both economically and emotionally on your child.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:07 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No because the man has no say in what the woman does with her body.
Ask any doctor - when a pregnant woman comes into their office, there are 2 patients, not 1. It's more than just her body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
A man's choice ends when he allows a pregnancy to happen. Men would do well to remember that. Men can prevent pregnancies too. If you don't want kids, get snipped, don't have sex or if you do, make darned sure you're, at least, double protected.
**** happens. And when it does, it's both people's responsibility.

Men who get snipped can still get a woman pregnant. Nothing is fool-proof.

Another thing that people would do well to remember: birth control failures happen ALL the time, but not everyone gets pregnant as a result. The people who do, it's because they have the unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on your perspective) luck of being more fertile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The fetus is living within her. I believe that would count for eminent domain.
If that were true, the father would have no rights whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If the man does not want the child and there was no marriage or committed relationship, then I dont believe he should have to take any responsibility.
Agreed. But it should be in writing that he relinquishes his parental rights while the woman still has the option to abort.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
I don't understand the women that view a fetus as some kind of invader. I actually find them to be absolutely repulsive.
And I find THIS repulsive:
Pregnancy Belly Cast Kits, Belly Painting Kits & More!

The deification of pregnancy at its most absurd.

Hey, I feel like I'm gonna drop a big load when I go to the bathroom later. Quick - someone paint my butt!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Nothing to do with abortion and I agree that is a separate thread.

It just seems that whilst your plan has covered the rights of the father and the mother in the initial stages it does not cover the rights of the child.

Once the child is born it has rights. It has the right to see its mother and father. Any pre-existing agreement between the parents would eventually become null and void once the child is able to start making decisions about access to their parents.

Not criticizing your thoughts by the way, just trying to establish where the kid fits into this.
I don't think that happens until the kid is 18.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:43 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I'm inclined to this view. If you don't want to risk pregnancy, then don't have sex.
so, what about people in committed relationships who take every precaution they can because they have made a committed decision to not have kids?

Let me guess, you and Texian think that those sorts of people don't need to get married and shouldn't be having sex.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,220 times
I feel the father should have just as much a right as the mother. I dont care whos body the baby is in, it takes 2 to make it. Women get abortions every day without the father having any idea that his child is about to die. It should be a mutual decision. It goes the other way also. If the woman decides that she can and will raise a child then she will, but normally not with out taking quite a bit of money from the father. What if hes not ready? She has options, he doesnt. The man in the situation can get screwed and cant say anything about it. There needs to be laws protecting the men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships