Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,299,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I agree, I don't see why people are choosing to take offense to what i'm saying. After all, I know that a good 20 or 25% of the American women are not the way I described. I know lots of American people who do not fit into the stereotypes. After all, I am an American myself so I am simply talking about my own culture.

The people who are taking offense to this are obviously the very people that I am describing and they know it.
Don't pretend like you are trying not to provoke. You went on a bad date, you wanted to bash American women because of it, and now you are claiming innocent.

You have the right to your preference, just don't impose it like it is the truth when in reality it is only your biased opinion.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:32 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Aww...I wish I weren't American! Then maybe I could be like a car too.
An AMC Gremlin.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
Don't pretend like you are trying not to provoke. You went on a bad date, you wanted to bash American women because of it, and now you are claiming innocent.

You have the right to your preference, just don't impose it like it is the truth when in reality it is only your biased opinion.
Actually I was just making a realistic commentary on American culture, based on my observations of living in very different places and experiencing different ways of life. I figured you all would take it in stride if you didn't agree with it.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Actually I was just making a commentary on American culture. I figured you all would take it in stride if you didn't agree with it.
Commentary on American culture? You are in the wrong forum.

As for taking it in stride - I don't think any rational person takes anything on here personally. You strike me as someone who holds a lot of bitterness towards American women. Maybe you have had a lot of bad experiences, maybe you like women who are more submissive, who knows? Every culture has their flaws. I can say a lot of bad things about men and women from many different cultures, but what's the point? In the end we all determine who we will become and who we decide to surround ourselves with. I chose not to judge people based on their culture, or their nationality. I do this mainly because I don't feel it is a good indicator of who that person really is. I think that is the crux of our debate.

By all means if you are happier with women from another culture, then why would I stop you? But it is disingenuous of you to bash a certain group and then call it commentary. I know the difference and I don't have to be an American to see it.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:59 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
Commentary on American culture? You are in the wrong forum.

As for taking it in stride - I don't think any rational person takes anything on here personally. You strike me as someone who holds a lot of bitterness towards American women. Maybe you have had a lot of bad experiences, maybe you like women who are more submissive, who knows? Every culture has their flaws. I can say a lot of bad things about men and women from many different cultures, but what's the point? In the end we all determine who we will become and who we decide to surround ourselves with. I chose not to judge people based on their culture, or their nationality. I do this mainly because I don't feel it is a good indicator of who that person really is. I think that is the crux of our debate.

By all means if you are happier with women from another culture, then why would I stop you? But it is disingenuous of you to bash a certain group and then call it commentary. I know the difference and I don't have to be an American to see it.
I have no bitterness towards American women. I just know the flaws and absurdities of American culture and I am speaking on them. You are being way too intense. Chill out.

If you can say bad things about men and women from different cultures. Do it. Why not? Especially if it is your own culture then you have no reason not to. That's how things change, when people wake up and realize the error of their ways.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I have no bitterness towards American women. I just know the flaws and absurdities of American culture and I am speaking on them. You are being way too intense. Chill out.

If you can say bad things about men and women from different cultures. Do it. Why not? Especially if it is your own culture then you have no reason not to. That's how things change, when people wake up and realize the error of their ways.
Make it stop ! Fine, bash American women and then call it commentary, I give up.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:18 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Haha I knew when I saw this thread yesterday that it would stir emotions. For me it won't make me believe one way or the other like I said I would need to travel around the world to draw my own conclusion. I suspect it is alot like what someone finds sexy or not and that in the end is a personal decision. Californiabear says yes, coolhand says no, I just shrug....

I have some experience with latin/spanish women and while latin culture often is different than American in the end even the women I knew came down to their individual personality.

I suppose on a certain level women are women no matter where, then again certain cultures are vastly different compared to American culture, one look at the middle east/Islam will tell you that so women in different cultures might be completely different also I dunno.

No doubt feminism has had a part in changing how American's interact, Sierra was right in another thread that once people at work often met by being at work now you got to be careful giving a compliment because you might get grilled. Sierra says other countries aren't so skittish about s*** like that and I believe her.

I remember a few years ago there was a couple times I met a girl because we worked at the same company now you gotta walk a type rope and create a bubble around you. I saw it last week at my work where a cashier got a guy in trouble because first he was talking to her sometimes in a casual way, something was mentioned to him so he stopped and then she got pissy with him because he became strictly business with her.

But whatever the real answer is it would be nice to be able to travel the world and find out for myself.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
I was lucky enough to get to travel for a year myself, and I'm a woman, so I won't comment on American women. However, I have a few comments to make about American men, though they'll have to be very general b/c I wasn't trying to date them.

We really didn't meet too many Americans at all overseas, but the few we did see stuck out like sore thumbs and I squirmed from embarrassment that they would act like this. One was in the airport in Athens, and it was busy and they had to open up a new window for us to get thru customs. It took a few minutes for the computer to warm up and this was obvious, but not to the man behind us who kept groaning and complaining that it was taking too long, and when his complaints failed to hurry things up, started getting really crude and effin this and effin that, until I asked him to please refrain as I had my children with me. I also told him I sure hoped he wasn't American at which he just looked at me funny but I knew that he was.

Another was in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and wore his favorite Bush election T-shirt everywhere, which I thought he should place a target on also, since Bush was extremely unpopular everywhere we went. When I went to the book exchange in our hotel, there was a really nice hardback book there called The South was Right, about, you guessed it, the Civil War in the US. I knew it had to be his, because I had a chance to talk to him that week and that was pretty much his philosophy. He had several of the Asians at our hotel really upset by his attitude.

The third one was only a little obnoxious, and I probably wouldn't have even noticed this, except that we'd been traveling for quite a while and it really stuck out by then. We were taking a tour in Italy and he kept making these annoying wisecracks about everything. The other people in the tour who weren't American were squirming like crazy and I was getting annoyed too, and I realized that this seems to be an American trait--I don't know why--it's kind of like what you hear on sitcoms all the time, but other people in the world also watch TV. We vowed to watch our wisecracks after that and also to watch the volume of our voices, b/c the loudness of Americans tends to annoy Europeans I think.

Now, I'm sure we also saw other Americans on the trip, but they didn't stick out quite so boldly, as they weren't being obnoxious, which brings me to my main point--people who are behaving nicely don't get the attention that people bahaving badly do. I didn't make any snap judgments about American men based on my limited observations on the trip, because I know that most American men aren't like this, or at least not while they're at home. And I know that I don't behave like the woman that the OP was complaining about either. I have a few extra pounds, but no more than the average European woman of my age and I'm of European ancestry.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:27 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

But whatever the real answer is it would be nice to be able to travel the world and find out for myself.
The best way I think to do it is pick a country, rent a furnished apartment in a semi normal area for 4 weeks and try to live more like a local.

That's what I do and it's a different experience from being in a hotel.

The cost of doing that is reasonable IMHO. And four weeks is just about right.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:44 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The best way I think to do it is pick a country, rent a furnished apartment in a semi normal area for 4 weeks and try to live more like a local.

That's what I do and it's a different experience from being in a hotel.

The cost of doing that is reasonable IMHO. And four weeks is just about right.

Which separates the fact of what I would like to do and can do. I get 10 days paid vacation and I just can't tell the bossman "F*** it I'm going around the world hold my position I'll be back in 4 months".

Everytime I buy a lotto ticket as I'm walking out the store I immediately go in a dream about walking down the streets of Amsterdam or walking along the beach path of Ipanema but it is always a short lived fantasy.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships