Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 08:51 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Which separates the fact of what I would like to do and can do. I get 10 days paid vacation and I just can't tell the bossman "F*** it I'm going around the world hold my position I'll be back in 4 months".

Everytime I buy a lotto ticket as I'm walking out the store I immediately go in a dream about walking down the streets of Amsterdam or walking along the beach path of Ipanema but it is always a short lived fantasy.....
There comes a time when it's good the tell the boss man to F off.

I've never met anyone out here who regrets leaving their job in the US. Everyone is glad they took the plunge. I've met lots of people who gave up their jobs to vagaband and I don't think i've ever met someone who regretted it. Also there is work to be had overseas if you need cash flow.

10 days of vacation per year? That sucks so bad.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:02 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
There comes a time when it's good the tell the boss man to F off.

I've never met anyone out here who regrets leaving their job in the US. Everyone is glad they took the plunge. I've met lots of people who gave up their jobs to vagaband and I don't think i've ever met someone who regretted it. Also there is work to be had overseas if you need cash flow.

10 days of vacation per year? That sucks so bad.

Well I could probably ask for a few extra days extended not paid, but even then talking about a month or so would have me filling out employment applications when I got back and my company in my line is doing better than alot of others right now.

I'm single, technically there isn't anything holding me back except myself but then again overall I like my area,like the overall stabilty and freedoms in America, I'm not going to just sell everything on a whim so I can womanize across the world. I have a house paid off, guitar and gun collection and a stressfree life overall so I have a place to come back to but you still need a cash flow coming in to support yourself at least I do and the only way that happens is to hold a job. And I'm not the vagabond type.

So, maybe sometime with two weeks paid, I'll pick a spot and f*** around there for a week or so if even as a tourist. I'm not looking to score a wife anyway I just want to have fun. Brazil is definately a place I'd like to visit anyway.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:50 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Which separates the fact of what I would like to do and can do. I get 10 days paid vacation and I just can't tell the bossman "F*** it I'm going around the world hold my position I'll be back in 4 months".

Everytime I buy a lotto ticket as I'm walking out the store I immediately go in a dream about walking down the streets of Amsterdam or walking along the beach path of Ipanema but it is always a short lived fantasy.....
I do understand completely. I always have an excess of places to go over what time I have and what I can afford. Personally I chose my profession which sends me to a lot of different places and also chose to be an independent contractor, but all of that has it's own drawbacks and pitfalls.

However you can do something with those 10 days every year if you plan right.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 PM

888 posts, read 887,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Independence is continually considered the ideal in the US and its like running my knuckles over a cheese grater every time this comes up. I want capable, not independent. Is a steering wheel capable or independent? It cannot possibly be independent of the vehicle and it is capable. I am completely dependent on my capable wife as she is dependent on my capability. Alone, we cannot do it all. Many relationships look like counter fortresses rather than additions.
Its the weak man who seeks independent women because he wants a woman capable of completely functioning without him because he fears his own weakness. He quivers in fear at losing his job and hopes for the woman to pick him up. I do not have this weakness.
You made some interesting comments, but I'll just focus on this one.
I think it's obvious, as we truly live in a world of interdependence, that achieving what we call independence will never wipe out total interdependence. I actually thought that it was such an obvious point in life (that noone is theoretically independent) that I didn't even bother to mention it in the post. Most of us understand the "control what you can, and let go of what you can't" maxim as mature adults. It's not a hard and fast rule, but to maximize your level of what we choose to call independence, one should maximize control over what is realistic from a personal standpoint. Your spouse - ultimately - is not responsible for your happiness. We are dependent from day one, so when we talk about independence, we really talk about moving away from dependence and minimizing dependence, and maximize reasonably independence.

Therefore, based on my above argument, it is quite clear that your comment that a weak man seeks independent women (and not a strong man) is total BS. I could give countless arguments to prove my point, but you should be able to surmise my intentions from the analysis of the first portion of your post.

To be clear, a man who seeks a strong and independent woman DOES NOT mean that he is WEAK. It's a BS comment that was made - and I'm sure many women will agree with me.

For the record, there are STRONG men who have fought tooth and nail for years in order to strive for greatness, to build strength and confidence for their own lives, and we simply desire women who value the same things.

Get it? There is nothing weak about it.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Well I could probably ask for a few extra days extended not paid, but even then talking about a month or so would have me filling out employment applications when I got back and my company in my line is doing better than alot of others right now.

I'm single, technically there isn't anything holding me back except myself but then again overall I like my area,like the overall stabilty and freedoms in America, I'm not going to just sell everything on a whim so I can womanize across the world. I have a house paid off, guitar and gun collection and a stressfree life overall so I have a place to come back to but you still need a cash flow coming in to support yourself at least I do and the only way that happens is to hold a job. And I'm not the vagabond type.

So, maybe sometime with two weeks paid, I'll pick a spot and f*** around there for a week or so if even as a tourist. I'm not looking to score a wife anyway I just want to have fun. Brazil is definately a place I'd like to visit anyway.
I had given thought to living overseas and that is a possibility at some point due to my goals and my profession. However it's unlikely I will give up my base here in the USA.

But you've got a good setup and no reason to give that up.

Argentina might be worth a look. I have dated some Argie girls that came to the USA to work for a winter and I think there is a lot of potential there. All my friends that have gone absolutely love it. I keep going to Australia and NZ which keeps me from going to Argentina but it's on the list.

I think it's pretty easy to get to now with direct flights from Miami.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:58 PM

4 posts, read 3,633 times
She was judging me the whole time.
what!!?? my gosh! is she a judge. will if not, tell her not to judge u coz ur not a book.. (just kidding.. )

kidding aside, cheer up, everyone is unique, some women act that way and others may not.

good luck in finding someone u like!!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:28 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
Actually, Magnolia Thunder's post was neither racist nor bitter.
Now this thread is starting to lose all credibility, because the OP (while making decent money overseas) seems to lack emotional intelligence.
Maybe that will explain your problems.

Magnolia Thunder is right that many American women are independent and do not want to be dependent on men, etc... even if that is a trait more common amongst women over the age of 30.

MT said many women not ALL women.

MT also says that many males are insecure around independent women - this is totally true. Many not all. (I'm a guy who seeks out independence as I don't want the responsibility of catering to the insecurities and self-esteem problems of dependent women).

Magolia Thunder did make a slight error when talking about curvy bodies, and that's where I think you interpreted the so-called "racism".
So many women from so many different cultures have curves, and are very sexy. This is not solely the domain of American women. I can rattle off a list of countries who have just as many beautiful and sexy girls as the US. If anything, many American women need a lesson on how to dress attractively to show off those curves. The comment about Asian girls looking like 12 year old girls also stained otherwise sensible comments...probably an emotional retort that if MT just hung out in the Tokyo airport for a few hours, MT would understand that not all Asian girls look like 12 year olds.

But it's hardly racist...it's a combination of emotional irrationalism and ignorance. But overall the post was acceptable, and shouldn't be deleted on the grounds of racism, LOL.
I need to clarify something right away: PLEASE know that the "12 year old boy" comment was NOT aimed at Asian woman and I'm distressed to think any of you thought it was. I was actually using that phrase to go along with other characterists that insecure men sometimes have -- i.e., when the OP called his date a BIG woman, sometimes men refer to any woman who is not a size zero to 4 as "big" .... I meant absolutely no disrespect to women of any country and I'm sorry if it came out that way.
Thank you for bringing that to my attention -- sometimes I'm so busy trying to convey a thought that my words do not clearly convey my meaning.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:34 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Asians do two things better than anyone. Cars and women.
They're dependable, look great and will run for a lifetime if cared for.
Besides, western women have better things to do.
Something about fish and bicycles.

And a word of advice for you that disagree with the OP, let the bitterness go. Life is to short.

So, let me understand you: you put cars and women in the same group? Possessions?
And yes I can and DO have it both ways -- I'm an American woman, after all.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:21 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
You made some interesting comments, but I'll just focus on this one.
I think it's obvious, as we truly live in a world of interdependence, that achieving what we call independence will never wipe out total interdependence. I actually thought that it was such an obvious point in life (that noone is theoretically independent) that I didn't even bother to mention it in the post. Most of us understand the "control what you can, and let go of what you can't" maxim as mature adults. It's not a hard and fast rule, but to maximize your level of what we choose to call independence, one should maximize control over what is realistic from a personal standpoint. Your spouse - ultimately - is not responsible for your happiness. We are dependent from day one, so when we talk about independence, we really talk about moving away from dependence and minimizing dependence, and maximize reasonably independence.

Therefore, based on my above argument, it is quite clear that your comment that a weak man seeks independent women (and not a strong man) is total BS. I could give countless arguments to prove my point, but you should be able to surmise my intentions from the analysis of the first portion of your post.

To be clear, a man who seeks a strong and independent woman DOES NOT mean that he is WEAK. It's a BS comment that was made - and I'm sure many women will agree with me.

For the record, there are STRONG men who have fought tooth and nail for years in order to strive for greatness, to build strength and confidence for their own lives, and we simply desire women who value the same things.

Get it? There is nothing weak about it.
Hi HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal,

Using an expression like "get it", is a brain stem like statement of intimidation that is a display of weak minded aggression, hence your entire point unravels at the display. It means you cannot let the argument stand on it own. Capitalization is understood as yelling on the internet.

In comparison to men who are willing to take some risks, they are comparatively weak. They are not risk takers and want complete insulation from fallout. Also, how many time do I have to hear that those who value complementary divisions of labour seek weak women? Can someone explain to me the strength, principle and confidence behind having separate bank accounts? Of course not, because its absurd. If someone is going to jump in and say, oh but we share an account as two independent people, the the oxymoronic nature of the concept is exposed.

A relationship, by definition, is the opposite of independence. Therefore an independent relationship, to avoid the oxymoron, implies an attenuated one. So before you go to bed at night be sure to say "I don't really need you hun", where she says "I really don't need you either dear". If its just a euphemism for a working spouse, then lets dispense with it as an inaccurate abuse of the term.

As stated, what anyone should desire in a mate(again oxymoronic to independent) is capability.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
You see, "bashing" women is against the rules. We can "bash" men all day and all night, but don't dare speak up about how women act these days.

Women want to know why men are they way they are? Perhaps because women MAKE them that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships