Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 04:55 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
Where I used to work, the women made up about 75% of the employees. Whenever we got delivered equipments for the office, it was always the men who had to go down 4 floors to the main reception and do the hard work of carrying it back up. The women claimed it was men's job, lol. We, men, didn't mind anyway and did the work [and we ended up sweating which was annoying], but we just found it hilarious that the double standard about wanting equality at the workplace, yet they are the ones designating and telling us what "mens job" were.

Funny times.
See, I don't think that's right! I really don't. I mean, everyone is not endowed with equal strength, however, if you're physically capable for doing the work (and, might I add DRESSED FOR IT)...it should not be considered men's work. I don't know where you worked and whether or not the women were wearing heels or workboots, but if they're dressed appropriately, for hauling stuff, there's no reason why they couldn't help. For the record....I, personally, find very few things which fall under the category of MEN'S work. How can women justify using that statement...especially when they get so rabid hearing the words "women's work"? It's ridiculous!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 PM

81 posts, read 300,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I haven't had a partner for years. That is not to say I never have sexual release, there's just no one else involved.

If there's going to be some other person involved, I want it to be in the terms of an exclusive, committed relationship, not just a "fling".
Fair enough. Still, I don't think you should judge someone for living THEIR lives they way they want.

You are like my sister, she won't have sex with someone unless it is a committed relationship. She went 5 years without it!

Last edited by SecretlySad; 01-19-2010 at 05:09 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Beachmel, in my experience, they're NOT physically capable of lifting such things as air conditioners, generators, safes, water heaters...

Old 01-19-2010, 05:08 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
See, I don't think that's right! I really don't. I mean, everyone is not endowed with equal strength, however, if you're physically capable for doing the work (and, might I add DRESSED FOR IT)...it should not be considered men's work. I don't know where you worked and whether or not the women were wearing heels or workboots, but if they're dressed appropriately, for hauling stuff, there's no reason why they couldn't help. For the record....I, personally, find very few things which fall under the category of MEN'S work. How can women justify using that statement...especially when they get so rabid hearing the words "women's work"? It's ridiculous!
We were working as a Careers Advisers, and the stuff we ere carrying up were mainly new computers, chairs, air conditioners, water heaters and other office stuff. It wasn't something we had to do everyday, but it came up once in a while. The women were dressed formally and some did wear high heels, but not many.

The only thing that annoyed us was that the men were a tiny minority and we had to carry too much really. The men only made up about 20% or so of the workers, so it was too much workload. But since it wasn't an everyday task, we just let it slide. We should have called them out on their double standard crap, but we were too stupid and naive.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:15 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
It is silly. My group is now very small and it's just me and one male colleague and our boss. He had back surgery a few years, so all the lifting is left to me. OTOH, I do use carts and the elevator when necessary.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:17 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoMariaUrameshi View Post
Feminism - Salon.com

It just seems like more and more people are miserable.Every married person or person in a relationship that I know is unhappy and they tell me don't get married and have kids it ruins everything. Or "men suck, they are pig, dogs" or "women are too independant, they need to get back to the kitchen". Everyone is always getting divorces, its like you're bound to fail if you marry. I remember there was a time that people stayed married for life now, people have 48 hour marriages.

I glad that feminism allowed me to work, get an education, vote, and gave me abortion rights but I never asked for it to make everything equal! I hate "going Dutch" or paying for dates and meals for a man, I believe that a man is suppose to pay for dinner and dates, I would only pay for a guy unless it's his b-day, graudation, he got a promotion or a raise. I miss men being MEN! Holding doors, taking charge, being the leader, being go getters. There is nothing more sexier than a dominant Alpha male.

I don't 'serve a man' just because it tells me to in the Bible. I serve a man out of respect to him. I serve a man out of love for him. I serve a man out of a loyalty to him.I like the view from atop my pedestal and see no reason to come down.If you enjoy your feminism, then more power to you. Just don't take away my right to not be a feminist.

I agree I think its gone too far.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
We were working as a Careers Advisers, and the stuff we ere carrying up were mainly new computers, chairs, air conditioners, water heaters and other office stuff. It wasn't something we had to do everyday, but it came up once in a while. The women were dressed formally and some did wear high heels, but not many.

The only thing that annoyed us was that the men were a tiny minority and we had to carry too much really. The men only made up about 20% or so of the workers, so it was too much workload. But since it wasn't an everyday task, we just let it slide. We should have called them out on their double standard crap, but we were too stupid and naive.

How does sexism in the workplace feel ????

Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretlySad View Post
Fair enough. Still, I don't think you should judge someone for living THEIR lives they way they want.

You are like my sister, she won't have sex with someone unless it is a committed relationship. She went 5 years without it!
Good for her.....that's something to be proud of. Would you rather have a sister who slept with every Tom, Dick and Harry, just because she was horny....even though she felt nothing for them? Would you rather have a sister who was being called a tramp or a sister who was being a "good girl"? Having been in that situation myself, believe me, it's not really cool hearing how your older sister was the town ****. My hubby and I both have siblings who were terribly promiscuous.....it's embarrassing. Again, you should be proud of your sister... I think highly of her already, and I don't know her!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It is silly. My group is now very small and it's just me and one male colleague and our boss. He had back surgery a few years, so all the lifting is left to me. OTOH, I do use carts and the elevator when necessary.
Every job I've ever worked at, I've actually relished the opportunity to do something to change the pace of the day. Also, if you're working a desk job, it's awfully nice to be able to get a bit of physical exercise in. I can just see you Braunwyn! LOL I can't imagine you sitting back, just because you're a woman, but I can see you being sensible and using a cart and elevator...it's just sensible.

The thing that irritates me about some workplaces is this, they expect women to "dress like women"...wear feminine shoes with a bit of a heel, and wear feminine dress clothes as well. The men then complain because the women don't have to do the "men's work". I challenge the men out there who complain...buy yourself some heels and put on a dress, then go out and pack boxes!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:

As sad as it is that some women find it "beneath" them to get up and help. Consider yourselves gentlemen for not calling them out. It isn't right...and if it's any consolation to you, the other women in the office either would have made fun of me for getting up and helping, or there would have been a few more join us in our endeavor...if I had been working there! It's just silly, it really is, and it is NOT right!

I don't have anything to prove.....really, so I hope that no one thinks I'm trying to show off.....but seriously, I get kind of miffed when I try to help do something and a man says, "Nooooo, what are you doing? That's heavy. Let us guys get that!"

I grew up on a farm, bucking hay, slopping hogs, etc. My father had a construction company and built chain link fences....I had to load rolls of fence wire on to the truck. I have worked "like a man"...but sensibly, using appropriate lifting techniques and/or equipment in order to avoid injury. There are a whole lot of women out there who "pretend" to be helpless....I don't know why and could never figure it out. I prefer to show that I can hold my own....and never want to be considered the "weaker" sex.

I am baffled by women who will go work out at a gym 3 days per week, lifting weights, go jogging 5 miles per day a couple days a week and then pretend to be helpless little children...baffles my mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships