Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Or......loyal sons who love their moms and couldn't handle the injustice, sons who watched their fathers abuse or berate their moms? Let's not forget, there really ARE some men out there who treated their women very well and respectfully, even when it wasn't popular to do so.

Yes, that too.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
If you have never cracked a history book...sheesh, I can't start now.. I can't type that much..what do we have..... how many thousands of years of written history...and you've never learned any of it?

Unbelievable...

I've cracked plenty of history books. History happened. You, however, appear to have special insight on something I missed.

So are you simply NOT sharing your wisdom, or is it just pretense? You pretend I'm simply refusing to see, or perhaps too stupid to see, and therefore carry on with your feigned and self-vaunted superiority?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
How precisely DID men "have the power", what was this power, how did they abuse it and since they apparently no longer have said power, what are women doing differently with it?
Men still have a lot of power, but they're sharing it more and more with women. When people say "men had/have power" it means look at who's in charge politically, who's running industry and corporations and universities, who's running the media and the military. If you look at who was doing all of this 100 years ago, it was universally old white men. Today, there's still a lot of old white men in the picture, but other people are making inroads, and rightly so. Society isn't made up of only old white men, so all aspects of leadership should reflect that.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Agreed..... if we're truly honest about it...we sexes are equally to blame for this stuff. It's terrible, too..because no one, single gender is innocent of doing so. Individuals might be blameless, the the gender, as a whole, is not. There are good and bad people in both genders. It's really not fair to judge everyone, based on the experience of some.

You know, something else that hasn't been discussed here? Men had the power. Oh I know that there were some strong women out there who fought like mad for women's rights, dont' get me wrong. We need to realize though, that there were men (they had the power)...but there were men out there who saw the injustices against women. We women wouldn't have the rights we have today if it weren't for the backing of some really great men out there. That seems to be something that a lot of women....AND men, forget.
Hi beachmel,

Tsk, tsk, you are looking at it far too simplistically. I have spend some time reading history and economics. Many histories revolve around military power which of course completely disregards the finance behind it as one example. The gold coins paid to the legions were not see marching about the Roman world but legions would not have been were it not for finance.

If men have power what has power over men? How many times in history do I read of a woman whispering in a man's ear? How did John the Baptist lose his head? Why did Nero burn the Christians in pitch? How many other times do I see noble women guide their sons to the status of emperor or king?

Power was a matter of class, not sex. As usual, women tend to lag at the top but are not quite so miserable at the bottom as the worst of men.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Men still have a lot of power, but they're sharing it more and more with women. When people say "men had/have power" it means look at who's in charge politically, who's running industry and corporations and universities, who's running the media. If you look at who was doing all of this 100 years ago, it was universally old white men. Today, there's still a lot of old white men in the picture, but other people are making inroads, and rightly so. Society isn't made up of only old white men, so all aspects of leadership should reflect that.

Okay, so far they "had" the power, and not just men, but WHITE men apparently.

So while this does NOT answer the other questions (or portion of the same question, as it were), it BEGS the question of how these white men came to be in such a position of power, let alone held it for the remainder of history? What is it that separated the men from the women, since I cannot imagine that women only developed intelligence or the ability to think/organize AFTER the 1960's?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I've cracked plenty of history books. History happened. You, however, appear to have special insight on something I missed.

So are you simply NOT sharing your wisdom, or is it just pretense? You pretend I'm simply refusing to see, or perhaps too stupid to see, and therefore carry on with your feigned and self-vaunted superiority?
No, no special insight just a knowledge of history ...which, BTW, isn't just events and dates.

Here's a sample:

Women could not vote in the U.S. until the 20th century.

Beating wives was not illegal until the second half of the 20th century in the U.S.

19th century: Women , upon marrying, became the PROPERTY of their husbands. They could not own their own land or business, their children belonged to their husband, and he could literally throw her out of the house at any time without even her clothes (he owned her clothes) or her children.

Well into the second half of the 20th century employers had lists, "Men's jobs", "Women's Jobs" and guess which paid more no matter what it consisted of ?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, no special insight just a knowledge of history ...which, BTW, isn't just events and dates.

Here's a sample:

Women could not vote in the U.S. until the 20th century.

Beating wives was not illegal until the second half of the 20th century in the U.S.

19th century: Women , upon marrying, became the PROPERTY of their husbands. They could not own their own land or business, their children belonged to their husband, and he could literally throw her out of the house at any time without even her clothes (he owned her clothes) or her children.

Well into the second half of the 20th century employers had lists, "Men's jobs", "Women's Jobs" and guess which paid more no matter what it consisted of ?

But plenty of Women's Studies (ahem) clearly indicate superiority of women in so many ways -- HOW could all of this have come to pass? And WHAT changed in the 20th century so that women managed to overturn these things which apparently had lasted for thousands of years at the hands of evil men?

Are you saying it took thousands of years for women to figure out what was wrong and speak up? Thousands of years to figure out a way around whatever it was men did to keep you down?

Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
HOW could all of this have come to pass? And WHAT changed in the 20th century so that women managed to overturn these things which apparently had lasted for thousands of years at the hands of evil men?
No one is saying that men were evil, but those in power were certainly content with the status quo. Changes happened in society with industrialization, mass media and communication, and the overall Progressive movement that encouraged a lot of social change in the 20th century. Before then very few people would have questioned the roles of women, blacks, even children in society. It was more a recognition that the ways of life in the modern world had to be different those of the past, and there was a grassroots popular movement to make real change.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:07 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Inquiring minds want to know:

How precisely DID men "have the power", what was this power, how did they abuse it and since they apparently no longer have said power, what are women doing differently with it?
Lets see
One of the main ways was that women could not vote, thus had no power over legislation which inacts law that control peoples day to day lives.

Other things like women were not allowed an education, were not allowed to own property and could not hold most jobs meant women had no financial power which contributed to no legal power. That in itself if abuse when one segment of the population purpously denies another segment the same liberties.

Men no longer have exclusive rights to this power so are finding it increasing difficult to abuse it. I dont know that women as a whole are doing anything different. According to some, women are trying to gain a monopoly on this power and put men in the same position women were once in. Others will argue that women are rightfully harnessing this power to improve society and their own lives.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
No one is saying that men were evil, but changes happened with industrialization, mass media, the progressive movement that encouraged a lot of social change in the 20th century. Before then very few people would have questioned the roles of women, blacks, even children in society. It was more a recognition that the ways of life in the modern world had to be different those of the past.

So things were FINE before; in which case, men had the power and things were just fine.

You're not going to tell me that things weren't fine, women simply had no idea things weren't fine, are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships