Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 11:36 AM

740 posts, read 1,233,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
This is precisely what the article that I linked asserted ...Too, it may sound like mere semantics, but note that I made it a point not to attribute the collapse to entitlement programs for single mothers. I never said that entitlement programs "FOR" single mothers (as in WIC/Welfare etc) collapsed the economy....I said the entitlement programs (as in sub prime lending) "UTILIZED" by single mothers collapsed it...they were overwhelmingly the demographic that was approved for these loans which they defaulted on.

Just a slight nuance that I think might have gone overlooked...other than that though, I agree with your statement...Ill have to read the link at a later time though, as I have some traveling to do at the moment.
No worries, I totally understand now and believe you are correct that single moms, among many others, used these programs to buy things that they never should have been able to buy. I would really like to see a demographic breakdown of the delinquent subprime mortgage market by age, gender, household composition, and marital status. Thus far I have only seen race and ethnicity data. I wish I had the time to pull the raw data and analyze it myself. It would be a cool out-of-specialty publication
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:46 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
solytaire wrote:
Quote:
I enjoyed reading this article that outlines how the entitlement programs utilized by low wage earning single mothers, many of whom were dependant on child support from fathers to help pay for home loans they couldnt afford, pretty much single handedly collapsed the economy.

American Thinker: It's the Culture, Stupid
There are some valid points in the link you provided but it's a mistake to exaggerate the importance of women who couldn't afford their mortgage payments because there were a number of other factors that came into play. I was living in Phoenix and had put a house up for sale at a time in which there were already about 55,000 other houses for sale in the greater Phoenix area. Prices for homes has risen to a ridiculous level and there was one year that Phoenix has the largest yearly increase in the nation which was something like 47%. I had to lower my price five times and it took me 14 months to finally sell it. This was also happening nationwide and as housing prices tumbled there were a huge number of people who owed more on their mortgage than their house was worth. A large number of these people defaulted on their loans which had a serious impact on the economy.
Banks are responsible for much of the difficulty as well because they gave loans to people who simply couldn't afford to buy a house. They also had created various kinds of new loans which made it easier to qualify for a house but increased the probability that the buyer would end up defaulting at some point.
Since this thread is about anti-women sentiment I'm merely suggesting that the role that single women played in our current economic mess needs to be put into perspective with a great many other contributing factors.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
Misogyny predates the current economic collapse, does it not? So why was there so much hatred for women before that? Who "singlehandedly" caused all the other economic collapses in history before this one, huh? And why were women hated even when they had no economic autonomy, no political independence, and indeed, no means to cause any kind of economic collapse?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
This is precisely what the article that I linked asserted ...Too, it may sound like mere semantics, but note that I made it a point not to attribute the collapse to entitlement programs for single mothers. I never said that entitlement programs "FOR" single mothers (as in WIC/Welfare etc) collapsed the economy....I said the entitlement programs (as in sub prime lending) "UTILIZED" by single mothers collapsed it...they were overwhelmingly the demographic that was approved for these loans which they defaulted on.

Just a slight nuance that I think might have gone overlooked...other than that though, I agree with your statement...Ill have to read the link at a later time though, as I have some traveling to do at the moment.
Hi solytaire,

Yes and no. What collapsed the economy was the cessation of the expanding money supply which, in our debt based currency the dollar, expands with debt via fractional reserves. Since consumer debt long ago has flooded our economy via dead unproductive personal capital in housing, the bomb was already lit. The idiot fractional reserve theorists always use fixed or circulating capital examples without showing expense and personal capital based ramifications. So it just extended the eventual demise of consumer based expansion of the money supply.

So after sub prime collapsed, we essentially demonetized bad debt which created conditions much like 1870 aka the Long Depression with the demonetization of silver and green backs. See the Wizard of Oz, the slippers in the book were silver and it was about the scheming bankers.

We need to stop expanding the money supply with consumerism and dead personal capital. A house is no factory. So it would have ended in much the same way but to a lessor extent. Why does Wall Street keep such a system in place? Volatility makes money for them in fees like you wouldn't believe. The Dutch had the right idea about Wall Street. Its a garbage dump.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Misogyny predates the current economic collapse, does it not? So why was there so much hatred for women before that? Who "singlehandedly" caused all the other economic collapses in history before this one, huh? And why were women hated even when they had no economic autonomy, no political independence, and indeed, no means to cause any kind of economic collapse?
Hi Redisca,

I disagree about this universal hatred of women. Yet, the poor are not properly described as puppet masters. Single mothers are not the villain here.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I disagree about this universal hatred of women. Yet, the poor are not properly described as puppet masters. Single mothers are not the villain here.
I exaggerated, obviously. But it's undeniable, that anger and resentment towards women felt by a certain constant minority of men long predates the latest economic crisis.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I exaggerated, obviously. But it's undeniable, that anger and resentment towards women felt by a certain constant minority of men long predates the latest economic crisis.
Hi Redisca,

Indeed, I call it psycho sexual frustration of the lower status males. The British army during the red coat days called it the military. I used to call it my basement when I was 16.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
what i take from all 102 pages is this: if you're a weak man, you are totally f*cked. stronger male peers, and especially women, are just not geared for any sympathy towards non-familial males. these beaten-down men turn into wretched, intolerable people that hate everything. (the same thing happens to some women, but i'm not sure what leads to it.)

this thread makes me feel bad for picking on people back in high school.
Is this one more of the accusations of such men being "bitter", because it isn't true at all?

Older single unmarried men are actually quite happy that things worked out as they have.

Their complaints are more in the nature of revultion and disgust for the constant criticism that they are both unwilling to commit while at the same time having no qualities that women demand. Neither is true - its just an excuse that women use to justify repeatedly making such bad decisions and then having to have the full power of the state used to bail them out.

Its pure pleasure to miss out on the "privilege" of partaking in that!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck
She was at it again tonight. I guess that the other women are getting fed up with her shoving her jewelry in their face. One told her a bracelet was "ugly" and her response was a lot like the shaming language used here.

School girls in love were such a pain but to see this in a twice divorced middle aged woman is difficult for some. I just love the entertainment value and thank my lucky stars I'm not paying off a divorce settlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
The people in your life sound so cartoonish. Have you ever seen the movie Edward scissor hands? I picture you living in that kind of community.
First men get criticized for generalizing about women. Now he gets specific and you don't like the example!

I thought women lapped up such gossip. Oh sorry, I guess that I'm generalizing.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 PM

740 posts, read 1,233,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
solytaire wrote:

There are some valid points in the link you provided but it's a mistake to exaggerate the importance of women who couldn't afford their mortgage payments because there were a number of other factors that came into play. I was living in Phoenix and had put a house up for sale at a time in which there were already about 55,000 other houses for sale in the greater Phoenix area. Prices for homes has risen to a ridiculous level and there was one year that Phoenix has the largest yearly increase in the nation which was something like 47%. I had to lower my price five times and it took me 14 months to finally sell it. This was also happening nationwide and as housing prices tumbled there were a huge number of people who owed more on their mortgage than their house was worth. A large number of these people defaulted on their loans which had a serious impact on the economy.
Banks are responsible for much of the difficulty as well because they gave loans to people who simply couldn't afford to buy a house. They also had created various kinds of new loans which made it easier to qualify for a house but increased the probability that the buyer would end up defaulting at some point.
Since this thread is about anti-women sentiment I'm merely suggesting that the role that single women played in our current economic mess needs to be put into perspective with a great many other contributing factors.
Yes. There was far more at play in the economic crisis than single women who received child support buying houses they could not afford. Basically it was a classic bubble, like the Dutch Tulip Mania, South Sea Bubble, etc.. Everyone from the public to top financiers assumed housing would go up and mortgage-backed bonds were safe investments, even those that had heavy subprime tranches. The risks were improperly assessed because no one really understood the models used to assess them.

Plus side, I am trying to rent in PHX right now, and if it wasn't for owning 3 pets I could have my pick of nice spots for almost nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships