Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 07:59 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times

Advertisements

Too many words so most people probably won't read it.

This post absolutely wins the thread though.

Some portion of every generation thinks this is the time that the world will end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I have two words for this thread: moral panic.

I am a bookworm. While there is little interest in our society in anything that was written before, say, 1920, I find the writings of "premoderns" absolutely fascinating. What ancient Greeks wrote, and what ancient Romans wrote, and what medieval scholars wrote, and what humanists wrote -- it's riveting not just for what their writings reveal about their world, but for what they reveal about ourselves. And the one constant in social commentary that I see again and again, self-perpetuating for thousands of years, since the time of ancient Sumer (whose founding religious myth centered on a teenage girl disobeying her mother, acting immodestly, and getting raped by a god) is this intense hand-wringing about young people, and especially young women, getting sluttier and more spoiled, and not getting punished enough for having a good time. Surly ancient moralists sound remarkably similar to today's busybodies. Cato the Elder, foaming at the mouth about matronly virtues going to hell in a merry striped cloak, would feel right at home in a middle-American suburb, worried sick about teenage girls losing their virginity without getting any "security" in return.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doglver View Post
From a mother's point of view watching the behaviour of the girls in our area, what is the deal with how easy girls make themselves for guys? Where have the morals gone to and the self esteem? I'm talking about good students with intact families that go to church, belong to clubs after school and plan on going to college but when it comes to guys, they give it up so easily before even dating and being in a committed relationship! A father I know found a maids costume, handcuffs and other "toys" in the back of his daughters car the other day. Of course the daughter said it didn't belong to her. Just a teenager! Any insight as to what has happened since the days we were teens in the 70's and 80's???

If you want a Non BS answer, listen to Tom Leykis on the radio. I don't agree with everything he says but he is on the money in regards to how Amercian women have changed over the last 50 years.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
What ancient Greeks wrote, and what ancient Romans wrote.
Everything they wrote was plagiarized from a much earlier civilization. Not trying to debate you but I always shake my head when people START with the Ancient Greeks/Romans.

Quote:
since the time of ancient Sumer (whose founding religious myth centered on a teenage girl disobeying her mother, acting immodestly, and getting raped by a god) is this intense hand-wringing about young people, and especially young women, getting sluttier and more spoiled, and not getting punished enough for having a good time.

Not that you're wrong, but I never herd this....

Regardless, once again, it's amazing how people talk about ancient Sumer with such high regards. All we have found were some clay tablets that a guy named Zecharia Sitchin claims is the only one who can decipher the language.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Well, that's the thing. If you can't verbalize to a teenager why they shouldn't do a pleasurable behavior, they're going to do it. "It's just wrong" is an argument that never holds water with teens. They need a reason.
I can verbalize it just fine. And I have, to my own son. Introducing sex into a relationship completely changes the dynamics of that relationship. It may cause stronger deeper feelings, it can make you think you are feeling more than is really there. It is a tricky thing, sex is. For teen boys, it's mostly their hormones raging. For teen girls, it's mostly how do I get the boy. Completely different reasons, and lots of grounds for misunderstandings and hurt. Better to wait until the brain matures a bit more, to handle those complexities. Of course, there is also the whole pregnancy/std thing...but hopefully that's basic training these days.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,320,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I can verbalize it just fine. And I have, to my own son. Introducing sex into a relationship completely changes the dynamics of that relationship. It may cause stronger deeper feelings, it can make you think you are feeling more than is really there. It is a tricky thing, sex is. For teen boys, it's mostly their hormones raging. For teen girls, it's mostly how do I get the boy. Completely different reasons, and lots of grounds for misunderstandings and hurt. Better to wait until the brain matures a bit more, to handle those complexities. Of course, there is also the whole pregnancy/std thing...but hopefully that's basic training these days.

Great post! I think your son is very lucky to have you for a mom.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:48 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Everything they wrote was plagiarized from a much earlier civilization. Not trying to debate you but I always shake my head when people START with the Ancient Greeks/Romans.
So what? If that's even true, it further proves my point.

Quote:
Not that you're wrong, but I never herd this....
That's a shame.

Quote:
Regardless, once again, it's amazing how people talk about ancient Sumer with such high regards. All we have found were some clay tablets that a guy named Zecharia Sitchin claims is the only one who can decipher the language.
Nonsense. You should read Erich Zehren for a change.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
You should read Erich Zehren for a change.

Looks interesting. Another one for the collection. Thanks.

The Crescent and the Bull: A Survey ... - Google Books

Old 05-20-2010, 08:52 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
Quote:
Looks interesting. Another one for the collection. Thanks.

The Crescent and the Bull: A Survey ... - Google Books
It's one of my favorite books.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
How do you make parents help their kids to be prepared? You can't. Pretending that everyone is going to make sure their kids have everything they need to handle their emerging sexuality is naive.
You def can't control your kids 100%, but you CAN give them everything you think they'll need to make the best decision.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:27 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,437,376 times
Man, what I just don't like is that these neighborhood girls hang out in packs , with mostly guys surrounding 1 or 2 girls, while late at night in front of my house, leaning or sitting on my car. They have houses nearby where they can hang out, yet they know that they are up to no good , so they hide from their parents.

It's not my kid, so I really don't care, but I fear for my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships