Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 01:10 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times

Advertisements

THIS is MY THREAD.....NOMO HOMO......WILL BE TOLERATED>>>>>>YOU WILL BE REPORTED AS ATTEMPTING to HIJACK MY THREAD with YOUR LIMITED MIND(s) get THAT!!!!!!! Otherwise STAY on TOPIC!!!!!!......PITTS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I respectively disagree.....apparently you have never heard of :

(1) THE CRUSADES

(2) JIHADS

(3) THE INQUISITATIONS

(4) HOLY WARS

(5) SALEM WITCH TRIALS

ADD to that all the violence against GAYS.......GAY suicides........other minorities......other religious minorities........heretics......scientists..... AD NAUSEUM..........perhaps you are using the "new math" I keep hearing about; but from my University education the numbers add up AGAINST ORGANIZED RELIGION as the largest purveyors of WAR/MISERY and DEATH/DESTRUCTION our species has ever known!!!

Crusades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jihad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inquisition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holy war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salem witch trials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO.....organized religion encourages....hate, prejudice, violence, wars and IGNORANCE!

dont forget native americans

Old 08-15-2010, 10:47 AM

141 posts, read 293,167 times
Please do not lump all of us Christians into the same group as those who reject science and its advancements. Many of us are able to accept evolution/the big bang as very sound scientific theories. It would be, in my opinion, a dishonor to God to reject evolution, as I think it was a brilliant work on His part... and since I believe the Bible is a very...metaphorical (is that the right word) piece of literature, that the world wasn't literally created in seven days, etc. There is much hyperbole/literary device usage in the Bible, to take everything as it is, and literally interpret it would be kind of foolish and backward, it's said that Jesus used parables when he taught, etc, so it does seem kind of strange that people are willing to take the Bible so literally (and cherry-pick/misinterpret verses)

Anyway, I love my God very much, and I am deeply religious, but I have grounding in reality, and I am willing to accept both my religion and science, and I believe they can co-exist, I wish others could feel that way, too.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:56 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaomao View Post
Anyway, I love my God very much, and I am deeply religious, but I have grounding in reality, and I am willing to accept both my religion and science, and I believe they can co-exist, I wish others could feel that way, too.
Seriously, how does one do that? Everything between belief in a deity with zero evidence vs. all that man has learned about the origin of our universe would make my head explode, they just don't fit.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:35 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Seriously, how does one do that? Everything between belief in a deity with zero evidence vs. all that man has learned about the origin of our universe would make my head explode, they just don't fit.
Before I gave up my theistic beliefs, it was fairly easy to just insert god as the mover and shaker of science. I was uncomfortable with the thought that I had no basis for my god belief; however, it allowed me to still claim belief in god, and tamp down my fears of hell, while accepting the evidence of science.

I don't have an issue with his world view; his type of thinking is progressive. At least, he is not rejecting all the evidences for science in order to maintain his theistic beliefs. I'm just happy to meet another theist on this board that accepts science.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:52 PM

31 posts, read 67,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I respectively disagree.....apparently you have never heard of :

(1) THE CRUSADES

(2) JIHADS

(3) THE INQUISITATIONS

(4) HOLY WARS

(5) SALEM WITCH TRIALS

ADD to that all the violence against GAYS.......GAY suicides........other minorities......other religious minorities........heretics......scientists..... AD NAUSEUM..........perhaps you are using the "new math" I keep hearing about; but from my University education the numbers add up AGAINST ORGANIZED RELIGION as the largest purveyors of WAR/MISERY and DEATH/DESTRUCTION our species has ever known!!!

Crusades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jihad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inquisition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holy war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salem witch trials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO.....organized religion encourages....hate, prejudice, violence, wars and IGNORANCE!

As I said before, the math is as old as your disbeliefs are untrue. We can reasonably say over 100 million deaths attributed to atheism and that is just in the last 100 years. And most of the deaths in religion can be attributed to extremist islam. whether you take it away or not the Atheists are clearly efficient at butchery and causing agony to their fellow human beings, but then again as an atheist you cant really say its evil can you because to you there is no evil and there is no god. What a crazy mixed up bunch you atheists are.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 PM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_catholic View Post
As I said before, the math is as old as your disbeliefs are untrue. We can reasonably say over 100 million deaths attributed to atheism and that is just in the last 100 years. And most of the deaths in religion can be attributed to extremist islam. whether you take it away or not the Atheists are clearly efficient at butchery and causing agony to their fellow human beings, but then again as an atheist you cant really say its evil can you because to you there is no evil and there is no god. What a crazy mixed up bunch you atheists are.
You seem to have a habit of being wrong, but I understand that it is because of your bias toward what you believe, and your prejudice against those that don't share those beliefs...
I suggest you watch this video till the end. It will not only help you understand atheists a bit more, but will refute your false claims about deaths caused by atheism...They were caused by bad political systems and leaders, not atheists...

YouTube - Sam Harris - Misconceptions About Atheism

Old 08-16-2010, 12:27 AM

141 posts, read 293,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I don't have an issue with his world view; his type of thinking is progressive. At least, he is not rejecting all the evidences for science in order to maintain his theistic beliefs. I'm just happy to meet another theist on this board that accepts science.
*Her

Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_catholic View Post
Yes there are some religious fundamentalists but does that make christianity as a whole wrong? We cant really compare the horrid acts of atheists and their supposed utopian regimes can we?
Ever heard of pol pot, stalin, lenin, mao. D. D'souza correctly pointed out that atheism has been responsible for more deaths in the last 100 years than all the religious wars of all religions throughout history put together. I know that atheists will argue that they didnt do it in the name of atheism, but it doesnt really matter as atheism was at the core of their beliefs. Thats like saying that the pope orders the killing of a million people and yet religion wasnt responsible because he didnt specifically say he killed in the name of religion.

What did those communists say, religion is the opiate of the masses? Sure sounds like they they were practicing their atheism fully to me.
If you carefully read my thread title and opening post; I make NO mention against any religion "being wrong". The tenent of my thread is to debate that SOME assertions made by all religions are not only incorrect but dangerous to minorities, science, mathematics and the future of humanity as a thriving and viable species.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Ashville Native !!! ... You do have very strong convictions !

You appear to be so certain, so absolutely convinced that you are correct regarding those old, old fables written so long ago !

For your sake you had better be extraordinarily sure that you are right and without the slightest doubt !

Perhaps some day soon you will have a most opportune encounter with the Master as Paul did on the Damascus Road ! ( It's in the New testament of the Bible) Then perhaps your will view this matter in a much different light !

Gods Peace ! Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar
My convictions are also strong.....I am certain that no God wrote the Bible; because at 12 years old I saw so many absurd/ ridiculous statements that science has proven wrong; that after I was confirmed as a Roman Catholic I refused to participate in any more ritualistic behaviors/ceremonies and essentially left the church.

The age of the Earth for instance ......it is BILLIONS of years old not thousands and this is just one example of many; which I have addressed earlier in this thread.

However do NOT assume that I do not necessarily believe that there may be a "top dog" in our Multiverse....but to my mind it is all a relative hierarchy....the oldest species with the most advanced technology would be at the top of the heap.

If I were to instantly appear in biblical times with some of our current battery powered electronics....well I'd instantly be taken for a God and all powerful and knowing, it's all relative.

I for one do not worry about any type of "punishment" in your afterlife...for I strive to not hurt others and to be a loving/giving and non-judgemental person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality