Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I agree w/you. I think (IMHO) that weve become a "melting pot" of other religions and ideas, and certianly now..say compared with a hundred years ago, it would be almost impossible-without the help of God, to have a counrty wide revival. So yea, standing in the gap, cause not all believe in GOD, or even if there is a God, like I do.
Stand In The Gap...an old Petra song. Man, I feel old and nerdy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 02:15 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
I have to side with arguy here.

I can't really explain all the details, it's a pretty complex thought pattern.

But all through the Old Testament the nations are exalted to make Jehovah God their God. And what's that verse "Bless is the nation whose God is the Lord." Isn't that in Psalms?

Anyway, this isn't a salvation issue, which may be where you're getting caught up Jeff. But the Bible clearly shows that God favors those who seek Him nationally. Look at Ezekial, Jeremiah, Nehemiah(esp), Habakkuk, et al.

God clearly shows favor to nations and or peoples who move, as a whole, in His precepts, and yes, I believe America was one of those nations.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:35 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
I'm not sure whether Christians really understand what they are doing when they make certain accusatory mentions of people going to heaven and hell. The way I understand it: You must accept Jesus into your heart, and ask forgiveness for your sins. OK, and as MontanaGuy mentioned some people just don't have the luxury of hearing about it. Well, we have received a pretty vast amount of responses from the Christians stating that God has a place for those who have not heard.

Alright, so here we go again... I'll pose the question one more time. If you have to hear about Jesus in order to either accept or refuse him, why spread the message at all? Like I said before, Christians are trying to play "spiritual tag". If they can let someone know about it, than they either have to become a part of the church or not. They feed, clothe, and give medical aid to people in poor parts of the world, but in the end they give them an ultimatum: Become Christian or you shall perish forever! Well, if they had simply not told them at all than these poor people wouldn't have to worry about it alongside with the worry that they may not live to the next day because they are being genocidically eradicated.

So, does God favor certain nations or cultures? Well, the Christian attitude would make it appear that way. After all, let's look at the Christian fundamentalist theory again. You must accept Jesus into your heart and by doing so you'll go to heaven. Well, that's great that we here in America have the largest media market in America. We have the internet, cable TV, satellite dishes and radio, 24 hour news stations etc etc.. so it's very easy to spread the message. We also live in one of the richest countries in the world and have life ten times better than any person could ever dream of in Africa. Yet, we are the ones with the knowledge of God that must be spread. We have been given the daunting task of informing the world of this message so that others may enter heaven. Of course, most of us here in the States do not have to worry about it because we are already Christians. So, we get to live life on earth in top condition. Big houses, nice cars, air conditioning, soft beds, McDonald's, good jobs, etc.. etc... then when we die we get to go to heaven. Boy, our previous life must have been a really good one!!!

Of course, as part of our good fortune in having these luxuries we must spread the word. Because if we don't spread the word than these people in other parts of the world will have an easier chance at heaven than I would. After all, if they don't hear about it, God has a place for them. SO, we MUST spread the word. That way we can give everyone the same chance that we have. This way, they can live miserable lives of famine, war, hunger, rape, and torture, and be forced to make a spiritual decision so that they can live a happy afterlife.

This is a self-centered egotistical way of looking at your own spirituality. If you want to help people in Ethiopia, the Darfur region of Sudan, the Congo, etc... that's wonderful. But, don't go over there with a message of Christ and win these people's hearts by feeding and clothing them and then give them a spiritual ultimatum.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
But, don't go over there with a message of Christ and win these people's hearts by feeding and clothing them and then give them a spiritual ultimatum.
They don't seem to be complaining.

And it's not an ultimatum, it's the best news they've ever heard. Don't believe me though, ask one of them.

I have a cousin who's a missionary in Africa right now. And by the way, do you think they are religion free before they meet Christ?

Old 07-10-2007, 02:43 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
They don't seem to be complaining.

And it's not an ultimatum, it's the best news they've ever heard. Don't believe me though, ask one of them.

I have a cousin who's a missionary in Africa right now. And by the way, do you think they are religion free before they meet Christ?
No, they probably aren't. But, I can imagine that it wouldn't be a very hard way to convert people. Let's say I believe in an ancient african religion. I'm living a life of severe pain, agony, and suffering. I've watched my entire family be murdered and my wife raped. Now, I finally make it to freedom or something like it. I am in a Christian refugee camp. They are feeding me, clothing me, and nurturing my wounds. They are so nice and friendly, and they tell me about this other God who is so much more compassionate and friendly. They explain to me that by accepting him our lives will be much better. And look, they are already showing me that life is better by feeding and aiding me. Maybe I was wrong all these years? However, they did make one point VERY clear. If I don't accept this God I will burn for eternity in a giant lake of fire. So, showing their kindness and generosity and what their God has already done for me I better be a believer because now I have been given a choice.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
No, they probably aren't. But, I can imagine that it wouldn't be a very hard way to convert people. Let's say I believe in an ancient african religion. I'm living a life of severe pain, agony, and suffering. I've watched my entire family be murdered and my wife raped. Now, I finally make it to freedom or something like it. I am in a Christian refugee camp. They are feeding me, clothing me, and nurturing my wounds. They are so nice and friendly, and they tell me about this other God who is so much more compassionate and friendly. They explain to me that by accepting him our lives will be much better. And look, they are already showing me that life is better by feeding and aiding me. Maybe I was wrong all these years? However, they did make one point VERY clear. If I don't accept this God I will burn for eternity in a giant lake of fire. So, showing their kindness and generosity and what their God has already done for me I better be a believer because now I have been given a choice.
I guess I just dont see it as to go to hell or not go to hell...I see it as a reconciliation with my creator thru Jesus, I now have a friend, a savior, for me it wasnt...I dont want to go to hell so ill just believe, it was a longing to know a God that was loving he sent his only son to die for me. Im not disagreeing w/u, I just see it from a complete diff angle.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Pretty much. God empowered the people that are there. They came to that country out of obedience to God. God gave them their provision. God, in short, is manifesting Himself right there before thier eyes.

And forgiveness of sins isn't a hell-fire and brimstone message. It's just a simple, "There's only one way for your sins to be forgiven before a Holy and Just God, and that's in His Son, Jesus Christ, The Risen King."

Also, for the record, unless I'm mistaken, the areas you mentioned in you earlier post are predominantly Muslim. Where do non-Muslims go in the Muslim faith?

Old 07-10-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I guess I just dont see it as to go to hell or not go to hell...I see it as a reconciliation with my creator thru Jesus, I now have a friend, a savior, for me it wasnt...I dont want to go to hell so ill just believe, it was a longing to know a God that was loving he sent his only son to die for me. Im not disagreeing w/u, I just see it from a complete diff angle.
That's a good post right there. These folks are humbled and are ready to receive the message of a God that wants a one-on-one relationship with them. There's nothing in this from a worldly standpoint for the Christians, these are some of the poorest people on the planet.

These missionaries are genuinely concerned for their eternal salvation. Nothing else and no strings attached.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:51 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
So, are you speaking primarily in terms of economics?

I know many, many happy but poor Kenyans who wouldn't trade their faith in Jesus Christ for 1M US dollars.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Does God favor America?

Maybe South America, the people there seem to be very happy (Argentina, Chili, Uruguay, and Brazil haven't visited the rest), and those countries are not to bad off economically.

I'd go there, but I was born here...

Of course not, God doesn't favor any place.

(he might not like Lesotho much)

Old 07-10-2007, 02:52 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I have to side with arguy here.

I can't really explain all the details, it's a pretty complex thought pattern.

But all through the Old Testament the nations are exalted to make Jehovah God their God. And what's that verse "Bless is the nation whose God is the Lord." Isn't that in Psalms?

Anyway, this isn't a salvation issue, which may be where you're getting caught up Jeff. But the Bible clearly shows that God favors those who seek Him nationally. Look at Ezekial, Jeremiah, Nehemiah(esp), Habakkuk, et al.

God clearly shows favor to nations and or peoples who move, as a whole, in His precepts, and yes, I believe America was one of those nations.
Not at all. I don't see how a nation of over 300 million people would agree, as a whole, on what precepts to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality