Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:37 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Well here's the issue that ya gotta kinda open your mind up to understand. We're not bringing a new form of music or art, some new clothing line or health food craze. We are bringing a message that we truly believe will make an eternal difference in their lives. If we truly believe what we believe, it would be irresponsible not to share the good news of Jesus Christ with them. I don't know if you can grasp that, giz, but my whole point rests on that issue.

All, listen carefully: Christians REALLY believe Jesus was the Christ, the Messiah. Christians REALLY believe that He came, as God, and died as an atonement for our sins. Christians REALLY believe that to have eternal life, one must believe and call on the name of Jesus. And Christians REALLY believe that He's coming again.

We(I) really believe that. For me not to tell you about that would make me a poor example of Christ.
I don't think anyone doubts your beliefs, or that you feel Christianity is the greatest thing since sliced bread... but you're right, I don't understand why that means you need everyone to feel the same way. I BELIEVE in Judaism, but have never tried or desired to convert anyone - what you believe is between you & God (or whomever/nobody), not me & you. And to give a silly metaphor, I know that R.E.M. is the greatest rock band of our time, but I don't feel obligated to hand out pamphlets about them... or to suggest you're misguided & doomed for eternity if you disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
You're an atheist. This sentence makes perfect sense to me.
Okay, then how about this one... I am a JEW, and would never bring up religion while visiting Africa (except maybe in casual conversation). In fact, I'll be traveling there next spring, and don't plan to bring any Bibles or yarmulkes with me.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think anyone doubts your beliefs, or that you feel Christianity is the greatest thing since sliced bread... but you're right, I don't understand why that means you need everyone to feel the same way.
Well everyone doesn't have to feel the same way. And I'm not a 'shove my Bible down your throat' Christian. But if I believe what I say I believe, then I am instructed to share that information.

Quote:
I BELIEVE in Judaism, but have never tried or desired to convert anyone - what you believe is between you & God (or whomever/nobody), not me & you.
Again, as I stated above, I'm just giving information. Sharing the best news the world has ever had. Your decision is between you and God, but an idle Christian is an idol Christian.

Quote:
And to give a silly metaphor, I know that R.E.M. is the greatest rock band of our time, but I don't feel obligated to hand out pamphlets about them... or to suggest you're misguided & doomed for eternity if you disagree.
If I was truly doomed if I disagreed with you on REM, I would fully expect you to tell me. To do otherwise would be callous.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Okay, then how about this one... I am a JEW, and would never bring up religion while visiting Africa (except maybe in casual conversation). In fact, I'll be traveling there next spring, and don't plan to bring any Bibles or yarmulkes with me.
You are Jewish, yes, but you question the existence of God. Now, maybe even a hard-core, God-fearing Jew wouldn't evangelize, but then, there's not much to evangelize about, is there? But a Jew who knows their Messiah, wonder what they would do?

Last edited by Alpha8207; 07-10-2007 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: added word 'maybe'

Old 07-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
You are Jewish, yes, but you question the existence of God. Now, maybe even a hard-core, God-fearing Jew wouldn't evangelize, but then, there's not much to evangelize about, is there? But a Jew who knows their Messiah, wonder what they would do?
They still wouldn't evangelize or proselytize, because that is firmly against our beliefs... we feel you are born a Jew or Gentile, and that's that. Doesn't mean you're doomed for not being one, but rather that you just have a different destiny. Guess that's where my open-mindedness comes from (on almost every subject), because Judaism doesn't approve of belittling or judging those who aren't like us.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:24 PM

Oh, and what do you mean by "knows their Messiah?" If you mean accepting Jesus as the Messiah, that is not a Jew... sorry to anyone who calls themselves a Messianic Jew, but we just consider them another branch of Christianity.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:33 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,723 times
Quote:
. sorry to anyone who calls themselves a Messianic Jew, but we just consider them another branch of Christianity.
I always have a one liner when I run into them..

You know what you call a Jew for Jesus? A Christian.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
I always have a one liner when I run into them..

You know what you call a Jew for Jesus? A Christian.
Yes, exactly.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
If I was truly doomed if I disagreed with you on REM, I would fully expect you to tell me. To do otherwise would be callous.
Ahhhh, but that's my point... I don't feel it's my duty to call you wrong (which is really what you're doing), even if I truly consider myself to be right. What you believe is YOUR business, not mine, and I don't feel any obligation to "save the world" - even if their disbelief in R.E.M. might send them to Hell. Maybe I'd play R.E.M.'s albums in your presence to enlighten you, but never would I say you SHOULD believe. Anyway, I guess we just have a different view on this, so it's hard to see each other's perspectives.

Btw, how would you feel if I "told you" you're going to Hell for not being a Jew? You'd probably say I was wrong or tune me out, since you know that Jesus is the way.. And that's my other point, that we all have a different idea of what's correct... so it just turns into a "neener, neener, I'm right & you're wrong" bickering, which is totally pointless.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Oh, and what do you mean by "knows their Messiah?" If you mean accepting Jesus as the Messiah, that is not a Jew... sorry to anyone who calls themselves a Messianic Jew, but we just consider them another branch of Christianity.
So you can be an atheist and still call yourself a Jew, but if you believe in Jesus, you lose your Jewish-ness???

I didn't know that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality