Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:56 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Oh no, he said that to Jeff and I meant Jeff as well, sorry for the confusion.
its 5 till five-im easily confused this close to quitting time-lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 03:57 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
But yet again ILNC, you are adding to the word of God! The Bible does not say IF they accept Him, but ALL WILL BE.
I think Alpha already answered this:

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpha8207:
I really can't get my arms around why this is so difficult for you to grasp. All the nations are blessed by Jesus. The rains fall on the just and the unjust. The entire planet, universe even, is blessed by Jesus. All the people on this board are blessed by Jesus. But that's doesn't mean they are all saved, unless you bend and stretch.
IMO, ILNC (don't you just love acronyms ) isn't adding to the Word of God. She is using Scripture to interpret Scripture.

BTW, not everything needs to be turned into an argument for Universalism. IMO, this is off topic.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Quote:
Oh kay, I was just pulling a country out of thin air for the purpose of making a point, and I obviously should have picked another country. Shall we pick China? Or any country that doesn't have such large Christian numbers???
Large are small, chances are there is the Christian gospel being preached there or missionaries trying to get in there with the gospel. And that is being blessed by Christ IMO.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
They don't seem to be complaining.
Of course they're not complaining, when the missionaries are bringing food, clothing & medicine... heck, if I were in their situation, I'd say ANYTHING to get those simple needs taken care of. "Sure, I believe in Jesus - now pass the bacon!" Also, most of those people are very naive & uneducated, so they really don't know any better... not that being a Christian is necessarily a bad thing, but they often don't have the capacities to make that decision logically.

Quote:
And it's not an ultimatum, it's the best news they've ever heard. Don't believe me though, ask one of them.

I have a cousin who's a missionary in Africa right now. And by the way, do you think they are religion free before they meet Christ?
No... but they have their OWN religions/beliefs, which probably made them happy until missionaries came along. Who are you to say otherwise, or to imply they were "misguided" or doomed for having their own unique beliefs? The Africans have a beautiful culture, and it's sad to see them eradicated & turned into carbon-copies of Western Christians. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:07 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Pretty much. God empowered the people that are there. They came to that country out of obedience to God. God gave them their provision. God, in short, is manifesting Himself right there before thier eyes.

And forgiveness of sins isn't a hell-fire and brimstone message. It's just a simple, "There's only one way for your sins to be forgiven before a Holy and Just God, and that's in His Son, Jesus Christ, The Risen King."

Also, for the record, unless I'm mistaken, the areas you mentioned in you earlier post are predominantly Muslim. Where do non-Muslims go in the Muslim faith?
Wow I go cut the grass for an hour and you guys have written a novel already!

Forgiveness for sins may not be a fire and brimstone message but surely it's mentioned, right? Otherwise, what would be the point? It's either believe and go to heaven or don't and go to hell. It's pretty simple and there's really no way to avoid the topic, correct?

Also, you are correct, I think the majority of those populations are Muslim but I was really trying to reference well-known areas of Africa that are currently having problems. I should have just stuck with Africa because I don't think there's a place on the continent that couldn't use a little help.

As far as where non-Muslims go I have heard it before, and if I am not mistaken, it is something very similar to the Christian hell. I truly don't know to be honest with you but something in the back of my mind tells me that that is their belief.

If I were to go to Africa, as an atheist, I would not even bring up the subject of religion. I have no desire to try and influence masses of people with my own wealth and generosity.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Very interesting, I have never seen it from that POV!
Which is exactly why I posted about it... knowledge is power!

Old 07-10-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Forgiveness for sins may not be a fire and brimstone message but surely it's mentioned, right? Otherwise, what would be the point? It's either believe and go to heaven or don't and go to hell. It's pretty simple and there's really no way to avoid the topic, correct?
Actually, that's not the case in Jewish beliefs... we atone for our sins every year at Yom Kippur, but nobody is EVER "condemned to Hell" for not atoning. It's complicated, but we don't believe in the concept of Heaven & Hell the way Christians do - either you're a good person or not, and you simply don't receive the same rewards (both in life & death) if you're bad. There is a belief of a short "punishment period", after which you are sent where everyone else is after death. All this aside, Judaism focuses more on doing good things while living, and really tries not to focus on the afterlife. And we certainly don't use any scare tactics to force people into believing!! Here's an article which should explain better than I can:
Judaism 101: Olam Ha-Ba: The Afterlife

Old 07-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Btw, here's a great quote from that link I just posted, which summarizes our beliefs quite beautifully:

"Judaism is not focused on the question of how to get into heaven. Judaism is focused on life and how to live it. Non-Jews frequently ask me, "do you really think you're going to go to Hell if you don't do such-and-such?" It always catches me a bit off balance, because the question of where I am going after death simply doesn't enter into the equation when I think about the mitzvot. We perform the mitzvot because it is our privilege and our sacred obligation to do so. We perform them out of a sense of love and duty, not out of a desire to get something in return. In fact, one of the first bits of ethical advice in Pirkei Avot (a book of the Mishnah) is: "Be not like servants who serve their master for the sake of receiving a reward; instead, be like servants who serve their master not for the sake of receiving a reward, and let the awe of Heaven [meaning G-d, not the afterlife] be upon you."

Old 07-10-2007, 04:27 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No... but they have their OWN religions/beliefs, which probably made them happy until missionaries came along. Who are you to say otherwise, or to imply they were "misguided" or doomed for having their own unique beliefs? The Africans have a beautiful culture, and it's sad to see them eradicated & turned into carbon-copies of Western Christians. Just my opinion, of course.
Well here's the issue that ya gotta kinda open your mind up to understand. We're not bringing a new form of music or art, some new clothing line or health food craze. We are bringing a message that we truly believe will make an eternal difference in their lives. If we truly believe what we believe, it would be irresponsible not to share the good news of Jesus Christ with them. I don't know if you can grasp that, giz, but my whole point rests on that issue.

All, listen carefully: Christians REALLY believe Jesus was the Christ, the Messiah. Christians REALLY believe that He came, as God, and died as an atonement for our sins. Christians REALLY believe that to have eternal life, one must believe and call on the name of Jesus. And Christians REALLY believe that He's coming again.

We(I) really believe that. For me not to tell you about that would make me a poor example of Christ.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:34 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
If I were to go to Africa, as an atheist, I would not even bring up the subject of religion.
You're an atheist. This sentence makes perfect sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality