Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:55 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times

Advertisements

I know that believers will look at this question and say of course not, it's strictly between each individual and God. However, if you look at America for example, I would think it would have one of the highest per capita numbers of souls who are bound for heaven if you compare our highly religious society with other nations, it only stands to reason. Asian or Middle Eastern nations don't seem to fare very well in that department. I know we've addressed this issue somewhat on other threads from the point of view that people who aren't exposed to Christianity are going to be left out. This seems to suggest that certain nations or cultures were greatly favored by God as history unfolded and religious influences began to spread. There are various stories in the Bible such as the plight of the Israelites in ancient times as well as descriptions of wars that would make one think that God was clearly on one side or the other. Do you think there's any truth to that and could America be seen as one of those favored nations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 12:01 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,723 times
No.

I hate to break it to you, but a lot of Americans are hypocritical in their religion. They scream it from the rooftops, but at the end of the day, many are neither compassionate or righteous.

I think if there is a God, that s/he/it is smart enough to favor people who are good regardless of nationality, not because they boosted his/her/its ego by shouting hallelujah the loudest.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:11 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
[quote=MontanaGuy;1039704....that would make one think that God was clearly on one side or the other. Do you think there's any truth to that and could America be seen as one of those favored nations?[/QUOTE]

To quote Bernard Gunther (poet):

Inside
or
outside
depends
on
which
side
your
inside
or
out
of

Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I know that believers will look at this question and say of course not, it's strictly between each individual and God. However, if you look at America for example, I would think it would have one of the highest per capita numbers of souls who are bound for heaven if you compare our highly religious society with other nations, it only stands to reason. Asian or Middle Eastern nations don't seem to fare very well in that department. I know we've addressed this issue somewhat on other threads from the point of view that people who aren't exposed to Christianity are going to be left out. This seems to suggest that certain nations or cultures were greatly favored by God as history unfolded and religious influences began to spread. There are various stories in the Bible such as the plight of the Israelites in ancient times as well as descriptions of wars that would make one think that God was clearly on one side or the other. Do you think there's any truth to that and could America be seen as one of those favored nations?
Don't get me started!

The Bible says that God is not a respector of persons, but also that the Jews are the "chosen" people. I personally don't get alot of questions that go along with what your post brings up, but basically, when it comes down to the eternal destinies of His creation, I think that all eventually will recognize that Jesus is their saviour, in this life or the next, as that is what the Bible says. Otherwise, it seems a great injustice to those who are born into cultures that actually prohibit religion, or into non-Christian religious families.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,970 times
IMHO, Israel..Jewish people are Gods chosen people, and when one becomes a Christian,,(accepts Christ) they are grafted in.

For the second part of the question..does God favor a nation? Of course I think he would, or could...goes back to that verse..If my People who are called by my name...

I think any nation that would submit themselves to God thru Jesus and turn from sin would def have Gods favor. I think thats why you see alot of Christians on the political bandwagon. We (they) see that Gods hand has been on the US for a long time, and as a nation we have turned our backs on him....IMHO of course, and we (they) dont want that to happen, that being not having Gods favor.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
IMHO, Israel..Jewish people are Gods chosen people, and when one becomes a Christian,,(accepts Christ) they are grafted in.

For the second part of the question..does God favor a nation? Of course I think he would, or could...goes back to that verse..If my People who are called by my name...

I think any nation that would submit themselves to God thru Jesus and turn from sin would def have Gods favor. I think thats why you see alot of Christians on the political bandwagon. We (they) see that Gods hand has been on the US for a long time, and as a nation we have turned our backs on him....IMHO of course, and we (they) dont want that to happen, that being not having Gods favor.
How does a nation as a whole accomplish such a thing? Aren't nations made up of individuals? Each with their own understanding and relationship with their Creator?

Don't numerous verses state that all the nations of the earth shall be blessed?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:46 PM

668 posts, read 682,486 times
Does God favor America?

Maybe South America, the people there seem to be very happy (Argentina, Chili, Uruguay, and Brazil haven't visited the rest), and those countries are not to bad off economically.

I'd go there, but I was born here...

Of course not, God doesn't favor any place.

(he might not like Lesotho much)

Old 07-10-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
How does a nation as a whole accomplish such a thing? Aren't nations made up of individuals? Each with their own understanding and relationship with their Creator?

Don't numerous verses state that all the nations of the earth shall be blessed?
Blessed thru Christ..yes.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land 2 Chron 7-4.

Ill us the US as an example...if the US really turned from all the things that we as a nation were doing wrong, repented, really sought GOd in prayer..dont u think we would see a huge turn around?

Old 07-10-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Blessed thru Christ..yes.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land 2 Chron 7-4.

Ill us the US as an example...if the US really turned from all the things that we as a nation were doing wrong, repented, really sought GOd in prayer..dont u think we would see a huge turn around?
My question is how would this be accomplished? Our nation is made up of over 300 million individuals. Should we incorporate religion into our government to make all of us see what "we're" doing wrong, and force everyone to "repent"? I think the verse you have quote does not refer to an entire nation, but to individuals that are willing to stand in the gap for their country, prayerfully.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
My question is how would this be accomplished? Our nation is made up of over 300 million individuals. Should we incorporate religion into our government to make all of us see what "we're" doing wrong, and force everyone to "repent"? I think the verse you have quote does not refer to an entire nation, but to individuals that are willing to stand in the gap for their country, prayerfully.
I agree w/you. I think (IMHO) that weve become a "melting pot" of other religions and ideas, and certianly now..say compared with a hundred years ago, it would be almost impossible-without the help of God, to have a counrty wide revival. So yea, standing in the gap, cause not all believe in GOD, or even if there is a God, like I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality