Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 01:13 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I have plenty of links Sans, its just that I don't agree with everything on them. But if you insist, I'll give a few;

Sciencedaily.com, " Slowing evolution to stop drug resistance?"

Evolution.about.com, Evolution slowed by mass extinctions, by Heather Scoville

Stackexchange.com, is evolution slowing down?

Yahoo.com, Evolution is slow, how did man evolve so rapidly?

I have plenty more, but I do not depend on links, I depend on my own understanding of them.

You can also link Wired.com, " Mass species loss stunts evolution for millions of years."

Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You can also link Wired.com, " Mass species loss stunts evolution for millions of years."

While your on Wired.com, link to " Mass extinctions changes the rules of evolution", by Brandon Keim. I found that interesting.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 PM

33,529 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel
I have plenty of links Sans, its just that I don't agree with everything on them. But if you insist, I'll give a few;

Quote:
Sciencedaily.com, " Slowing evolution to stop drug resistance?"
This article, had you read it is about slowing the evolution of pathogens...It makes no claims about human evolution

Quote:
Evolution.about.com, Evolution slowed by mass extinctions, by Heather Scoville
This one is about the the Permian-Triassic mass extinction at the end of the Paleozoic Era...Again nothing to do with human evolution slowing.

Quote:
Stackexchange.com, is evolution slowing down?
This leads to a question page where readers attempt to answer, but 1...It is not evidence, and 2...The question remains unanswered.

Quote:
Yahoo.com, Evolution is slow, how did man evolve so rapidly?
Yahoo answers Really? You've GOT to be kidding!

Quote:
I have plenty more, but I do not depend on links, I depend on my own understanding of them.
Quote:
Let me know when you have anything that actually supports your point of view...None of these do, and it was just a waste of time looking them up

Old 03-25-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Let me know when you have anything that actually supports your point of view...None of these do, and it was just a waste of time looking them up

Well thats why I am hesitant to give links, I got something out of each one. There was a peice of the puzzle in each link that I learned and gleaned from.

One mans learning is another mans dismissal.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:24 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Well thats why I am hesitant to give links, I got something out of each one. There was a peice of the puzzle in each link that I learned and gleaned from.

One mans learning is another mans dismissal.
Which is what you have done. Sans, my dear chap, has pointed out that none of these references really provide any support for your suggestion that human evolution has stopped (though in fact our substantial control of the environment might have slowed it down, which would of course be nothing to do with God) and your comments make it clear that your method is to look around for anything that seems like it might support your theory and never mind whether it does or not.

The method of extracting 'something' out of each one of these really unrelated subjects and sticking them together with the supaglu of faith is not what adds up to 'learning' but is really dismissal of what the links actually say.

Your theory is a quite interesting one and is not impossible, but it needs better evidential support than this.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Which is what you have done. Sans, my dear chap, has pointed out that none of these references really provide any support for your suggestion that human evolution has stopped (though in fact our substantial control of the environment might have slowed it down, which would of course be nothing to do with God) and your comments make it clear that your method is to look around for anything that seems like it might support your theory and never mind whether it does or not.

The method of extracting 'something' out of each one of these really unrelated subjects and sticking them together with the supaglu of faith is not what adds up to 'learning' but is really dismissal of what the links actually say.

Your theory is a quite interesting one and is not impossible, but it needs better evidential support than this.

Your simply not reading my theory correctly, I have never said evolution stopped, I said it was reserved. I said it has stopped physically, and listed multiple areas where it has not stopped.

You and Sans do not learn as I do, do not see as I do, I glean far differently than you. I feed far differently.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
Quote:

You and Sans do not learn as I do, do not see as I do, I glean far differently than you. I feed far differently.
Image Detail for - http://informedfarmers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/feeding_5-jpeg.jpeg

.................(Sorry; couldn't resist..)

Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Image Detail for - http://informedfarmers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/feeding_5-jpeg.jpeg

.........................................(Sorry; couldn't resist..)

Well all done in questionable taste, but I am accustomed to it by now. Original taste, I have never been compared to pigs before. The evolution of insults has not stopped. But it has stopped evolving within me, which is what I mean by " We learn differently." I have learned that such insults are not necessary and evolved beyond issuing them out.

Debate is still evolving, and I view certain behavior during debate as appalling; but thats just my view of it. I am not so self absorbed in my views, that I must rail on others just because they learn on different levels than I do, and their disagreement or different views must now suck insults out of me reserved for them.

In fact, I view such behavior as primordal petty immaturity. But I know it can be " Evolved beyond" " If" the person finally understands that and excerts their will to change.

But you have to get pass that " Good feeling" you get from degrading others, in whatever manner you are pleasing yourself in doing it.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:00 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
Actually, it's been well established that pigs have a very high level of intelligence, so perhaps I was misplacing my imagery this morning. They can be taught: you obviously cannot.

(As well, don't ever ignore the emoticons. They are there for a reason! )

Also recall: you specifically admitted that you see, feed and glean differently than others do! Perhaps more correctly, you will not or can not accept that others might have more gained or experienced eduction or experiences than yours. You also do not engage in honest debate: you don' ever say: "You know, your extensive and informative link makes a good point there. I'll have to possibly reconsider mine!", or "You've asked some interesting questions of me. I"ll try to answer them with my ideas on such-and-such a perspective." Nope. Never.

We research-oriented and relentlessly peer-reviewed professionals know that we have to do our homework earnestly. We are more than used to vigorous critiques and requests to explain our perspectives or hypotheses. Unfortunatley, God-defeners have no such experience nor capability to respond in kind. So we also know how to find credible links by tenured and established authors on the Internet (note: by comparison, those titles from self-acclaimed Christian "Universities", AiG or The Creation Museum, etc. always prove to be faked, quote-mined and unreliable).

We do not post the supercilious [look it up...] crap so many devout myth-believers selectively provide as some sort of "proof", only to find out that in fact they make quite the opposite point when more thoroughly examined.

Last edited by rifleman; 03-25-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,724 times
Perhaps a rise in marked octogenerian immaturity, sans alzheimers, is evidence of/for reserved evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality