Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I neither agree with you or believe you. In my view, and I am not Christian, most Christians believe the birth narrative.
No they don't lol. Most evangelicals believe it but they are a minority. Why are you going out of your way to defend christ if you are not christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,593,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
No they don't lol. Most evangelicals believe it but they are a minority. Why are you going out of your way to defend christ if you are not christian?

Because I believe in the truth; and Jesus is truth.

And Christians do not hold a monopoly on truth.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Because I believe in the truth; and Jesus is truth.

And Christians do not hold a monopoly on truth.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
I don't need to talk to anyone, I can read. 2Sam. 7:8-16 does not even mention Solomon, your creating a new prophecy to match your gripe.
Talking to you is like trying to explain nuclear fusion to my cat. It's astonishing how many of you theists just don't understand the basics of what you proclaim as 'truth'. I just don't have the patience to speak to bone-heads any more so again, go speak to a rabbi. It's their scripture and their prophecy. They understand what is being said....you obviously don't. Now go to.........
1 Chronicles 22:1-19

1: Then David said, This is the house of the LORD God, and this is the altar of the burnt offering for Israel.
2: And David commanded to gather together the strangers that were in the land of Israel; and he set masons to hew wrought stones to build the house of God.
3: And David prepared iron in abundance for the nails for the doors of the gates, and for the joinings; and brass in abundance without weight;
4: Also cedar trees in abundance: for the Zidonians and they of Tyre brought much cedar wood to David.
5: And David said, Solomon my son is young and tender, and the house that is to be builded for the LORD must be exceeding magnifical, of fame and of glory throughout all countries: I will therefore now make preparation for it. So David prepared abundantly before his death.
6: Then he called for Solomon his son, and charged him to build an house for the LORD God of Israel.
7: And David said to Solomon, My son, as for me, it was in my mind to build an house unto the name of the LORD my God:
8: But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build an house unto my name, because thou hast shed much blood upon the earth in my sight.
9: Behold, a son shall be born to thee, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies round about: for his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quietness unto Israel in his days.
10: He shall build an house for my name; and he shall be my son, and I will be his father; and I will establish throne of his kingdom over Israel for ever.
11: Now, my son, the LORD be with thee; and prosper thou, and build the house of the LORD thy God, as he hath said of thee.
1 Chronicles, from The holy Bible, King James version

...and from a Hebrew-English Bible

מִסָּבִיב: כִּי שְׁלֹמֹה יִהְיֶה שְׁמוֹ, וְשָׁלוֹם וָשֶׁקֶט אֶתֵּן עַל-יִשְׂרָאֵל בְּיָמָיו. 9 Behold, a son shall be born to thee, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies round about; for his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quietness unto Israel in his days.
1 Chronicles 22 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre

v1 David said, ‘We will build the *temple of the *LORD God here. Also, the *altar for *burnt *sacrifices for *Israel will be here.’
v2 David ordered the foreigners that lived in *Israel to gather. Then he chose some of them to cut blocks of stone for the construction of God’s *temple. v3 David provided a large amount of iron. This was to make nails and other bits for the doors of the gates. Also, he provided more *bronze than people could weigh. v4 And he supplied more *cedar wood than they could count. The people from the cities called Sidon and Tyre had brought a lot of this *cedar wood to David.
v5 And David said, ‘My son Solomon is young. He does not yet have experience for the task. The *temple that he will build for the *LORD must be great. It must be famous among the nations because of its greatness and its beauty. Therefore, I will prepare all that I can for it.’ So, David got large amounts of the materials ready before he died.
v6 Then David called for his son Solomon. David told Solomon that he (Solomon) must build a *temple for the *LORD, the God of *Israel. v7 David said to Solomon, ‘My son, I had wanted to build a *temple for the name of the *LORD my God. v8 But the *LORD sent his word to me. He said, “You have killed many people. You have fought many wars. You must not build a *temple for my name. This is because you have spilt much blood on the earth. (In other words, you are responsible for the deaths of many people.) And I have seen what you have done. v9 But you will have a son who will be a man of peace and rest. I will give to him peace from all his enemies round him. His name will be Solomon. And I will give to *Israel peace and quiet while he is king. v10 He will build a *temple for my name. He will be my son, and I will be his father. I will establish the *throne of his *kingdom over *Israel for all time.”
1 Chronicles - Free Bible Study Commentary in simple English

Last edited by Rafius; 04-11-2012 at 10:35 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 04:40 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,284,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Buddha was not

Also According to different parts of the Bible, Jesus was the son of Joseph depending on which gospel you choose

OH not to sound too much like a dweeb, but if Virgin Birth DID occur, really, then the offspring would have to be female, because the Y chromosome to determine masculine gender can can only be introduced by a male.
And no, as Meesterr-Chung already pointed out, that argument about Divine Conception has already been applied to the above list, with the exception of the aforementioned Buddha who was not divinely conceived.
If one accepts the virgin birth then it is not much of a leap to think the god that caused a virgin to become pregnant could also make the child male.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 AM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
If one accepts the virgin birth then it is not much of a leap to think the god that caused a virgin to become pregnant could also make the child male.
Ahhh, the beauty of make believe...One can leap to any scenario that suits ones fancy...

Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,593,760 times
[quote=Rafius;23821706]Talking to you is like trying to explain nuclear fusion to my cat. It's astonishing how many of you theists just don't understand the basics of what you proclaim as 'truth'. I just don't have the patience to speak to bone-heads any more so again, go speak to a rabbi. It's their scripture and their prophecy. They understand what is being said....you obviously don't. Now go to.........
1 Chronicles 22:1-19

1/quote]

Your scraping the bottom of the barrell, God didnot promise David that Jesus would come through Solomon. And Chronicles does not show that.

Whats it feel like to try and make a false claim true?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Quote:
My criteria matters to me and the majority of humans in history and this present world; your criteria is the minority. The story of Christ has superseeded normal narratives and has superseeded history; thats why the story has survived. History has already determined that Jesus was the greatest man who ever lived bar none!

And that is fact! His life was a fact, and these historians have contributed to his existence in one manner or another;

Tertullian
Josephus
Suetonius
Thallus
Lucian
Celsus
Plingy the Younger
Sextus Julius Africanus
Tacitus
Origen
Dionysius the Areopagite
Hegesippus
Conon
Porphyry of Tyre
Polycarp
Eusebius
Irenaeus
Ignatius
Justin Martyr
Phlegon
Mara Bar-Serapion

Just to name a few.
You forgot Mohamid..

Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
The only way you will understand this is through time travel. You have to put yourself back as if you are there and walk through it all...use your minds eye and see events unfold..to blindly use scripture...is like the captain of a ship navigating with a map and never lifting up his eyes to gaze at and study the horizon and water.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Your scraping the bottom of the barrell, God didnot promise David that Jesus would come through Solomon.
I didn't say that he did. I said that the Jewish MESSIAH must come through Solomon. It is YOU claiming that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah not me.

Jesus has no blood-line back to David via Solomon and that's what the Messiah MUST have. The scripture I gave you is saying that whomever sits on the throne of David (ie The Messiah) must come from David via his son Solomon. It's that simple pal. The Jews know it and that's why they don't accept him as the Messiah, that and that he did not fulfil any of the other prophecies that the Messiah is required to fulfil.
He did not gather ALL the Jews from all over the world back to Israel.
He did not establish the temple on the mount.
He did not cause all the people to worship one god.
He did not bring world peace
He did not cause ALL Jews to obey the laws of the Mitzvot.

...and don't you go coming up with that old crap about all those things are going to get done when he comes back because NOWHERE in the Jewish scriptures does it say that the Messiah will come, get killed and then return at some unknown future date to finish the job. In fact, the opposite is true because, according to the Jews, when the Messiah comes he will fulfil ALL the prophecies THERE AND THEN. NO coming back. NO second chance.

....so, even if we disregard the fact that your man-god has no blood-line back to David, he did not fulfil the required prophecies for the Messiah so, your Jesus cannot be the Jewish MESSIAH. Get it now?

Quote:
Whats it feel like to try and make a false claim true?
Why ask me???? You're the expert on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality