Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
All I'm saying is that it makes no sense for one to say that they do not believe in G-d, because they have to first believe what they're saying is true. Unbelief cannot precede belief in any thing...it's an impossible thought that no one can maintain indefinitely. As for the wind blowing...like the wind the Holy Spirit comes and goes. G-d Blessing all of you folks...
All I'm saying is that it makes no sense for one to say that they do not believe in Santa, because they have to first believe what they're saying is true. Unbelief cannot precede belief in any thing...it's an impossible thought that no one can maintain indefinitely.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,262 times
Default Oooh...that really hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
All I'm saying is that it makes no sense for one to say that they do not believe in Santa, because they have to first believe what they're saying is true. Unbelief cannot precede belief in any thing...it's an impossible thought that no one can maintain indefinitely.
...we have a winner! G-d Blessing you more...

Old 07-03-2012, 06:35 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
folks...rm 'believes' that "a logical mind has it's own rewards." For Plato and Sokrates, it was all about the exaltation of the human mind above all. I know you believe in the philosophy of science, a limited pattern of thinking with roots in the ancient philosophy of Plato. You fantasize quite often that you're Sokrates, the mouthpiece of Aristokles (Plato)...asserting with the voice of platonic philosophy that mind is the king of heaven and earth. In reality you're only exalting yourself, harmonizing your own man-centered philosophy with the ancient Sokratic chorus. Same, same....only different? Not even original!
Y'see, folks (to take on lw's folksy tone...). Instead of directly answering and debating my points as I specifically did with did his, he immediately goes to the ad hominem attack.

Proving, good people, that he's fundamentally incapable of conducting a normal straightforward debate of his own points. Having once blurted his incorrect and easily disproven points out, he then runs away, hurtling insults over his shoulder as he retreats back into his dark cave of dispair and denial.

Heaven forbid he should actually address my logical rebuttals, huh? (A desperate & frantic fear of losing all one's arguments on line, in front of everyone, in logical progression, is a nasty and debilitating pathology, obviously...)

Yuppers, an impressive strategy, lil' guy!. Unfortunately, it's also ineffective.

(BTW, it's Socrates, not Sokrates. At least try to get your snarky & little-minded ad homs spelled right, and lest you argumentatively disagree on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates

Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 AM

707 posts, read 687,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Really because I waited by my fireplace one Christmas eve and he never came. But the universe is still here.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 AM

267 posts, read 216,478 times
Response to thread title.
Cos it's easy and fun.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
(BTW, it's Socrates, not Sokrates. At least try to get your snarky & little-minded ad homs spelled right, and lest you argumentatively disagree on that: SO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediacrates
I can't see the name Socrates anymore without thinking of this movie. I am ruined.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Some people have a hole or an emptiness inside and seek to tear down something else to try to fill that void, or at least bring others down to their level. You could also say that some gravitate to beliefs to try to fill a void. I'd say the latter is not as negative in outlook as the former.
Arguing religion or politics is like arguing over ice cream. Can there really be one best flavor that everybody would or should like? And if you mix all the flavors together would anybody like it? Would it even be any good? Let everybody have their own favorite and let them be able to enjoy it, just don't deprive them of it or force it on anyone.
Arguing over religion is only like arguing over ice cream if people who like vanilla push vanilla on everyone, they only serve vanilla at their shoppe, and that vanilla has razor blades in it. Oh, and I have never heard of someone bombing a school in the name of vanilla ice cream.

Quote:
Let everybody have their own favorite and let them be able to enjoy it, just don't deprive them of it or force it on anyone.
This is exactly why I debunk Christianity and false gods(beliefs). If the Christians and other religions could only grasp this sentence, most of the debunking would probably go away.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
All I'm saying is that it makes no sense for one to say that they do not believe in G-d, because they have to first believe what they're saying is true. Unbelief cannot precede belief in any thing...it's an impossible thought that no one can maintain indefinitely.
Does that also apply to the 10,000+ gods you don't believe in?

Quote:
As for the wind blowing...like the wind the Holy Spirit comes and goes. G-d Blessing all of you folks...
Except the wind is real. The holy spook, not so much..

Old 07-03-2012, 06:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
hitting back at the people that taught you sin was wrong. which is easier? changing your behavior or shutting up your critics.
?????

Old 07-03-2012, 09:38 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
hitting back at the people that taught you sin was wrong.
Or rather, shared the opinions of what bronze age goatherders thought was wrong/sin.

Quote:
which is easier? changing your behavior or shutting up your critics.
?????
Shutting up one's "critics" may not be the easier route but is far more preferable than surrendering ones intellect and reason only to become a mindless drone blindly conforming to a collection of outdated morals authored by ignorant men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality