Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Seems like someone's admitting that they believe in god due to an argument from ignorance.
Well yes, Credit of a sor to Jimmie that he accepted that al the evidence pointed strongly to no soul and no afterlife, and he preferred to place his faith in the very remote possibility with very littel supporting evidence and that arguable that there actually was 'something (unspecified) more that would give him what he wanted to believe.

I an equally small measure I can grant him kudos for going that far and buzzing off before it could be pointed out that such Faith is based on nothing but itself and the fallacy of argument from ignorance.

I would rather die than live with a head like that, but it's his choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Seems like someone's admitting that they believe in god due to an argument from ignorance.
Precisely. Its not like this soul stuff has not been investigated to death and conclusions drawn by folk a lot smarter than us.

What he want us to concede is all that has been scientifically proven or dis-proven, we should still remain sceptical and leave a tiny gap for gawd and his fairy tales possibly being true.

It is the age old tactic of theists to try balance the playing fields to suggest we all have this "faith" in what is believable or what we rational folk accept as fact. The two are not even comparable.

We do not have an apologetic branch in science, we are not left to draw our own conclusions, facts are presented and peer reviewed. We plebs can read and research further if we so choose. In the religious domain, all you have is a 2000+ yo book that has already been thoroughly debunked as historical fact. It remains only as a mythological text with no historical accuracy whatsoever.

In the world of reality we are not grasping at straws to maintain some sort of belief like the woos do with accounts of NDEs or OOBEs as "proof" of an afterlife. ALL of these happen in a living brain. A dead brain cannot be resuscitated that is why when a patient is declared brain dead, you may pull the plugs of the machines keeping the body alive. In the world of harsh reality, if it cannot be replicated under controlled conditions, it is not valid.

According to scriptures, godman appeared to many and interacted. Where is he now? Why can he not appear and remove all doubt/disbelief?

No we have to become mindless zombies and check our brains in at the church foyer and simply accept the bumph dished out by the stand-up comedian behind the pulpit. Give ourselves over to emotional manipulation and then only does gawd "appear" in fuzzy feel good emotional crap. THIS hardly constitutes any sort of "evidence". Even this "experience" has been replicated by external stimuli to a living brain. Scientists already know which parts of the brain to stimulate to get this exact effect.

The answer, he/god/jesus does not exist. Whoever the jesus fella may have been, he is long dead. The one reported - or should I say invented in the bible - never existed.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:54 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Well yes, Credit of a sor to Jimmie that he accepted that al the evidence pointed strongly to no soul and no afterlife, and he preferred to place his faith in the very remote possibility with very littel supporting evidence and that arguable that there actually was 'something (unspecified) more that would give him what he wanted to believe.

I an equally small measure I can grant him kudos for going that far and buzzing off before it could be pointed out that such Faith is based on nothing but itself and the fallacy of argument from ignorance.

I would rather die than live with a head like that, but it's his choice.
To the contrary. My experience leads me to believe the chances are overwhelming that there is a creator. I was trying to approach my argument from the perspective of a skeptic.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Precisely. Its not like this soul stuff has not been investigated to death and conclusions drawn by folk a lot smarter than us.

What he want us to concede is all that has been scientifically proven or dis-proven, we should still remain sceptical and leave a tiny gap for gawd and his fairy tales possibly being true.

It is the age old tactic of theists to try balance the playing fields to suggest we all have this "faith" in what is believable or what we rational folk accept as fact. The two are not even comparable.

We do not have an apologetic branch in science, we are not left to draw our own conclusions, facts are presented and peer reviewed. We plebs can read and research further if we so choose. In the religious domain, all you have is a 2000+ yo book that has already been thoroughly debunked as historical fact. It remains only as a mythological text with no historical accuracy whatsoever.

In the world of reality we are not grasping at straws to maintain some sort of belief like the woos do with accounts of NDEs or OOBEs as "proof" of an afterlife. ALL of these happen in a living brain. A dead brain cannot be resuscitated that is why when a patient is declared brain dead, you may pull the plugs of the machines keeping the body alive. In the world of harsh reality, if it cannot be replicated under controlled conditions, it is not valid.

According to scriptures, godman appeared to many and interacted. Where is he now? Why can he not appear and remove all doubt/disbelief?

No we have to become mindless zombies and check our brains in at the church foyer and simply accept the bumph dished out by the stand-up comedian behind the pulpit. Give ourselves over to emotional manipulation and then only does gawd "appear" in fuzzy feel good emotional crap. THIS hardly constitutes any sort of "evidence". Even this "experience" has been replicated by external stimuli to a living brain. Scientists already know which parts of the brain to stimulate to get this exact effect.

The answer, he/god/jesus does not exist. Whoever the jesus fella may have been, he is long dead. The one reported - or should I say invented in the bible - never existed.
By the same token, billions of people throughout history have believed in God. A significant % of those are educated, intelligent people.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
By the same token, billions of people throughout history have believed in God. A significant % of those are educated, intelligent people.
And there are highly intelligent people who think they are Elivis, Jesus, from the future, past and even some who think they are invisible. Education and intelligence doesnt mean you know everything or that what you say or think is true.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is our own choice to decide if life has meaning. We alone either seek or do not seek for a meaning and it is our own responsibility as to what we do with our findings.

If one finds a purpose for life, they alone, assume the role of fulfilling or not fulfilling that purpose.
Good words here!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
And there are highly intelligent people who think they are Elivis, Jesus, from the future, past and even some who think they are invisible. Education and intelligence doesnt mean you know everything or that what you say or think is true.
Generally though, educated, intelligent people would not blindly follow something with no evidence.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 PM

267 posts, read 216,555 times
Quote:
Generally though, educated, intelligent people would not blindly follow something with no evidence.
This is completely denied by the fact that billions of educated people have and do believe in god.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I imagine life to be like a blank sheet of paper. I am the author of my life and am free to write my story in any way I want to.

What is unacceptable about this point of view?
Seriously, if it's okay with you that your life has no inherent purpose or meaning, it's okay with me. There's nothing unacceptable about that point of view if it makes you happy. Personally, I couldn't live that way.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:14 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,247 times
Quote:
Argumentum ad populum

This is how nonsensical your argument is.

Lemmings running off a cliff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality