Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2019, 11:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Life is random.
Ha, not when you've seen that it isn't -but, most need a zap in the pants like from an NDE to see it all.
Ever have your life flash before you, every scene? Ha - I have a couple times.
It is neat because I personally believe Seeing is Believing. I did live in KCMO, after all...my favorite city ever.

I like things that can be tested - experienced for one's self.
Put randomness to the test, then.
Put deliberate intention to the test, also - put your belief system to the test...
Your belief system will win out every time.

So believe you can intentionally have a safe driving exp for the next 5 yrs and you will. I mean really believe in
the power of your own will/mind/ intentions/power to create.

Then, take another 5 yrs believing you have no power to effect things AT ALL...none -
you are 'like a leaf blowing in the wind'. You will create all sorts of mishaps. Ha, funny to watch them build.

Random my butt. Dig deeper - nothing is by chance, my friend.

Not picking on 'you', TT- just saying to the group that thinks life is random, ie,
has no pattern or plan or reason...all cowinky-dinkies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 11:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
lucky for us the mods do a good job.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:56 AM

7,137 posts, read 4,546,769 times
I was raised religious but once I went to college and I really thought deeply about it it’s impossible for there to be a god. I do believe in intention and positive thinking. Our founding fathers weren’t religious but thought of god as the great clock winder. They believed he wound up the world and let it go never interfering. References to god in our money and other places was added in the 1950’s. Ritual is comforting and believing that god can intervene is comforting. I know why people are attracted.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Arach - Cells as machines - yes ---with me having the master switch in my brain or mind to
change everything in the cell.
(I have had a Charismatic Church healing from a huge huge, long hip injury issue...and well, other healings after that,
too
And pray for healings that work - cells can be changed - just need a new program sent to them.)
Famous scientist Catherine Pert or Caroline Leaf and the brain- read their stuff on cells...this does have to do with spirituality , btw.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 12-15-2019 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: tipos

Old 12-15-2019, 12:17 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yes, you sit on the chair. You are part of its environment. And yes, one of the things that determines the validity of the claim is how many different conditions the claim holds true for. The chair is a chair no matter where you bring it. The term is uniformitarianism. Its a geology term but it fits.

from my perspective how you interact with that chair makes it a chair and not a zebra. How do I know? I list the observations around the chair and the zerba and I compare them.

If I didn't know what a zebra was, its meaningless description. Unless someone tells me a zerba is like a horse. Then I can relate.
and if someone does not acknowledge spirit
then there can be no meaningful discussion about spirit

Old 12-15-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
and if someone does not acknowledge spirit
then there can be no meaningful discussion about spirit
Again you make a great point. How do we know?

lets list the observations for this "spirit" claim and no spirit claim. And the reason we make the claim of spirit and no spirit.

can we see who is actually acknowledging what by doing that? or is hear say the best way to decide the best choices?

Old 12-15-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Arach - Cells as machines - yes ---with me having the master switch in my brain or mind to
change everything in the cell.
(I have had a Charismatic Church healing from a huge huge, long hip injury issue...and well, other healings after that,
too
And pray for healings that work - cells can be changed - just need a new program sent to them.)
Famous scientist Catherine Pert or Caroline Leaf and the brain- read their stuff on cells...this does have to do with spirituality , btw.
The data says we don't have a master switch that controls everything about the cells in your body.

You can influence them to a degree. That is plenty true.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I was raised religious but once I went to college and I really thought deeply about it it’s impossible for there to be a god. I do believe in intention and positive thinking. Our founding fathers weren’t religious but thought of god as the great clock winder. They believed he wound up the world and let it go never interfering. References to god in our money and other places was added in the 1950’s. Ritual is comforting and believing that god can intervene is comforting. I know why people are attracted.
yupperz, its how I think.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:34 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Again you make a great point. How do we know?
lets list the observations for this "spirit" claim and no spirit claim. And the reason we make the claim of spirit and no spirit.
can we see who is actually acknowledging what by doing that? or is hear say the best way to decide the best choices?
you discarded spirit by claiming it is equivalent to the physical and emotional.
i have every desire to discuss spirit.

it is a very different conversation to discuss "what is god to you" "what is spirit to you"
than it is to discuss "claims that god exists, claims that spirit exists"

i have no interest in the latter
and every interest in the former.

it's like someone who wants to discuss the elegance and beauty and intricacy of mathematics, and someone else comes along and says numbers don't exist. Because all they learned, all they know, all they understand, all they grasp, is letters.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-15-2019 at 12:47 PM..

Old 12-15-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
you discarded spirit by claiming it is equivalent to the physical and emotional.
i have every desire to discuss spirit.

it is a very different conversation to discuss "what is god to you" "what is spirit to you"
than it is to discuss "claims that god exists, claims that spirit exists"

i have no interest in the latter
and every interest in the former.

it's like someone who wants to discuss the elegance and beauty and intricacy of mathematics, and someone else comes along and says numbers don't exist. Because all they learned, all they know, all they understand, all they grasp, is letters.
I think word "discard" is not quite what I did. I list the observations in textbooks and what I know and what I experience. I happily include holy books and what you know and your experiences.

I say happily because I really don't care about anything past being as open and honest as we can be. That is just best we have these days.

I think the system we are in, out to 2 light seconds, is better described as "alive" than "not alive".

That has some implications on what you are calling spirit, I think. I just think theist misinterpret that feedback loop as "spirit". that all.

Like how does your body respond to you being happy. How does your body respond to you being sad. Those kind of things are spirit to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality