Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2019, 05:54 AM

3,061 posts, read 915,232 times

Advertisements

I have just posted this in another thread, but as it is applicable to this topic also, here it is.

GNB Proverbs 13: 24; If you don't punish your son, you don't love him. If you do love him, you will correct him.

KJV... He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him.

Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them. are diligent to discipline them

I watched my young son stretch his hand out toward a pot of boiling water in which I was cooking crabs, I told him twice that it was very hot and it would burn him, he defied me and put his hand on the pot, remembering the pain, he now listens to my warnings.

As God allows us to make our own mistakes and to suffer the consequences and learn from the pain of our mistakes, so too do I with my children.

Pain is the great instructor and the beginning of wisdom.

Most of the knowledge, wisdom and insight that I have gained, was gained through the suffering and pain that I have experienced from the mistakes that I have made throughout my life.

FOOT PRINTS IN TIME.

I’ve left them in the desert, on the beach and in the snow
On the mountain tops, the river beds, in fact everywhere I go
Tiny footprints …... indentations to mark the pathways that I’ve trod
And yet they vanish from the sight all, except the piercing eyes of God

And he’s always been inside me, since the day I ceased to crawl
He watched me take my first small step, saw me stumble, he saw me fall
Life lets me make me own mistakes, and 'god'. . . . how many have I made
But thank the Lord I’ve learnt from them, that’s how life's game is played

The life I’ve lived, the guilt, the shame, but I wouldn’t change a dot
Cos it’s made me who I am today, and to me that means a lot
I’ll never be an Einstein, a Rembrandt, or Khayyam
But I’ve gained a greater inner peace, and I’m content with who I am

Undoubtedly I’ll fall again, mistakes will knock me off my feet
But they’ll be new encounters mate, past sins I’ll not repeat
For I store the memory of my crimes, like others store their gold
And my treasure house keeps growing as my future life unfolds...…...The Anointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 06:15 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Earlier in my life as I've mentioned I believed a lot of what we've been discussing. I no longer believe we are born into sin or that we have to be saved. I think we are here just to experience all of it.. the good, the bad, the ugly. Everything lives and dies. I enjoy looking at religions or teachings outside of Christianity that help me to just appreciate nature and the time I have here. I pay attention to my dreams, and understanding coming through peoples NDEs, ADCs, but I don't live and die by words written 2000 years ago. I pay attention to the spiritual experiences people are having today. Those are more valid for me. I try to remember we are all just walking each other home. Whatever you conceive of home being whether that is your particular religion or nothing. We share this time here.
you mean you are looking at life as it is and not how you want it to be? In terms of what you believe? that's not good here. We should be discouraging everybody from using science that aligns a statement of belief to the system we are in. In a practical sense, Its just not good for atheism.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, you mentioned god several times, along with
phrases that were "god-like".
Are you now switching over to karma?
Yeah, if I said God - it was cuz of the topic title, sorry.
Cuz, tho I personally am 'into God very much' - I have no agenda or care about others' beliefs -
tho, I certainly give 'my take ' on things.

Karma is a good word - but misunderstood so much as if it is 'punishment', for Pete's sake,
so that's why I use it sparingly.
But, I see this system in life like a *boomerang - or *impersonal cause and effect--or *stupid is as stupid does.
George leaving the lit cigar in Susan's cabin on a counter is an example.---not really 'karma' -
If you *sow stupid you get the consequences and visa versa.
(I just happen to carry it over from past lives...why? Not cuz I read that - but because I really, really was shockingly shown
that more than once - why, I dunno...it did make me realize that I am a very
very slow learner - continuing to make the same mistakes over and over! Wasn't a great thing to see.
People sometimes think people see themselves as a famous person in a past life and glamorous it -
not me.)

Old 12-15-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yeah, if I said God - it was cuz of the topic title, sorry.
Cuz, tho I personally am 'into God very much' - I have no agenda or care about others' beliefs -
tho, I certainly give 'my take ' on things.

Karma is a good word - but misunderstood so much as if it is 'punishment', for Pete's sake,
so that's why I use it sparingly.
But, I see this system in life like a *boomerang - or *impersonal cause and effect--or *stupid is as stupid does.
George leaving the lit cigar in Susan's cabin on a counter is an example.---not really 'karma' -
If you *sow stupid you get the consequences and visa versa.
(I just happen to carry it over from past lives...why? Not cuz I read that - but because I really, really was shockingly shown
that more than once - why, I dunno...it did make me realize that I am a very
very slow learner - continuing to make the same mistakes over and over! Wasn't a great thing to see.
People sometimes think people see themselves as a famous person in a past life and glamorous it -
not me.)
thats right. And some people think that being human is more than what being human means. Addressing it as "why does god allow it to happen," ignores the fact that if god is there he made us exactly this way for a reason. we may not know that reason ... thats true enough.

But, Its a mystery as to why an omni, all loving, all powerful thing-a-ma-gig is doing it is not the most reasonable explanation for us seeing things that do not line up with observations.

agin, it boils down to the traits of thing. When theist list traits of a god that line up to the traits of the universe, its just more reasonable.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:28 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you mean you are looking at life as it is and not how you want it to be? In terms of what you believe? that's not good here. We should be discouraging everybody from using science that aligns a statement of belief to the system we are in. In a practical sense, Its just not good for atheism.
I don't know what is or isn't good for atheism. I don't consider myself an atheist so wouldn't know. As far as science goes not really looking at that either. Its happening but it isn't at the forefront of my thoughts. By nature I just mean the cycle of the seasons, the Wheel of the Year, animals, that kind of thing.

I'm open to hearing everyone's views and trying to understand. It ain't over till its over. I may learn many many more things before I die. I've undergone a few spiritual transformations and may yet undergo more. Whatever happens I consider it to be notes from my time on Planet Earth. Came or got here, explored, thought some things. Taking it all in. Thats all.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I don't know what is or isn't good for atheism. I don't consider myself an atheist so wouldn't know. As far as science goes not really looking at that either. Its happening but it isn't at the forefront of my thoughts. By nature I just mean the cycle of the seasons, the Wheel of the Year, animals, that kind of thing.

I'm open to hearing everyone's views and trying to understand. It ain't over till its over. I may learn many many more things before I die. I've undergone a few spiritual transformations and may yet undergo more. Whatever happens I consider it to be notes from my time on Planet Earth. Came or got here, explored, thought some things. Taking it all in. Thats all.
Exactly right; IMO.

many us just describe the events around us to the best of our ability. We never really say we are atheist or theist, we just describe the system around us as best we can. We actually don't really care about a statement of belief about god in the end. Then other people, with different agendas labels us to meet their needs.

Answering to atheism or theism is so woefully incomplete we might as well just ignore these people. But keep a well oiled police force around.

red flag statements

"due to my atheism/theism I must answer"
"for practical reason we should just follow this or that"

neither of those base lines are evidence of anything but the state of the machine we are talking to. to me.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:51 AM

22,189 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Exactly right; IMO.

many us just describe the events around us to the best of our ability. We never really say we are atheist or theist, we just describe the system around us as best we can. We actually don't really care about a statement of belief about god in the end. Then other people, with different agendas labels us to meet their needs.

Answering to atheism or theism is so woefully incomplete we might as well just ignore these people. But keep a well oiled police force around.

red flag statements

neither of those base lines are evidence of anything but the state of the machine we are talking to. to me.
two questions:
1. and in your view, the difference between a human and a machine is_________ what?
2. how does your answer to 1. above relate to "religion and spirituality"

Old 12-15-2019, 07:58 AM

22,189 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Exactly right; IMO.

red flag statements

so then since you label humans as "machines" you are saying that is to "meet your needs" and because of an "agenda" you have?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-15-2019 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-15-2019, 08:01 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,773 times
Quote:
Exactly right; IMO.

Yea. I'm not trying to write a Bible or even a modern day creation myth. Labels are restricting. I call myself Pagan cause its the closest I can come. But I also have some traditions from my family and teachings from all over. I screw up and its on me, end of story. Its not some priest's fault, or some religions fault, or because it was written in a holy book. I take responsibility for my spiritual life. Sometimes I think it would be easier to pass the buck and blame it on some teaching. But no.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
But, Its a mystery as to why an omni, all loving, all powerful thing-a-ma-gig is doing it is not the most reasonable explanation for us seeing things that do not line up with observations.
Good morning Arach,
It's just me that when someone says, It's a mystery - I comment- It doesn't have to be.

Nothing about this 'all powerful whatever' need be a mystery.
What idiot said that; that God works in mysterious ways?
Someone that didn't become still and know God, that's who!
The way things work is actually so simple.

Those into the Bible and want to refute this - look to Jeremiah --So saith the Lord - know and understand me...Ch 9
And also Jer 33:3 --Call to me and I will answer u and tell you great and
unsearchable things you do not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality