Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 07:08 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,797,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Whether I present information to you or not based on your ridiculous qualifications, isn't going to prove anything. It is a known fact that many support abortion, protest businesses and have sectors that are lesbian
Sectors? Who has sectors? Arguing that protesting and boycotting businesses is anti capitalist is a huge stretch, and applies just as much to Christians boycotting things.

Quote:
but the problem is I'm not going to be able to provide any proof that they practice witchcraft because most of the posters on here do not believe it exists. That is where we differ. If you acknowledge that witchcraft exists and explain what you think it is, it's one thing, but if you deny it exist, then how do I even begin to meet what you expect me to?
You can try explaining what you think it is, and defending your ideas. You are asking others to agree with you and prove your point for you before you start, which is pretty poor form for a persuasive essay. You are the one asserting that feminists are witches, which is actually not what you started defending.

The original statement by Pat Robertson was "Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." You seem to think that means that if you show that there exists feminists who support legal abortion, feminists who practice non-Christian religions, and feminists who are lesbian you have somehow proven his statement true. This is not the point. The statement you are defending is that feminism as an ideology advocates these things, not that feminists as individuals do. You are trying to switch tasks to something with a much lower bar...

Slippery, but not slippery enough.

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,217,482 times
Quote:
Did you even read that before you posted it? Do you not comprehend what you read? None of that validates Robertson's charges. Where is the part about killing children? Which is the part that you are interpreting as feminists "practicing witchcraft?"

I see "opposing racism and fighting bigotry against lesbians", would you care to explain how that serves to authenticate Robertson's claim that feminists are trying to make women become lesbians?

That you would resort to so desperate a tactic, as though we wouldn't actually read your list or compare it to what Robertson said.....shame on you for wasting our time with such blatant dishonesty.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:14 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,018,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Are these the scarey feminists? NOW?
No the women discussed in this column are and they share the similar views

Could Argentina's Repulsive Pro-Abortion Protests Come to the United States? - US News

Old 03-04-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:

NOW’s actions have established the organization as a major force in the sweeping changes that put more women in political posts; increased educational, employment and business opportunities for women; and enacted tougher laws against violence, harassment and discrimination.

NOW is a multi-issue, multi-strategy organization that takes a holistic approach to women’s rights. Our official priorities are winning economic equality and securing it with an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that will guarantee equal rights for women; championing abortion rights, reproductive freedom and other women’s health issues; opposing racism and fighting bigotry against lesbians and gays; and ending violence against women.
So not telling women to kill their children (advocating legal abortion and a woman's right to choose is not the same as advocating the termination of a pregnancy, let alone killing a child)

Not telling women to leave their husbands and become lesbians (Protecting the legal rights of LGBT individuals is not the same as trying to turn women gay)

And, the kicker, no witches at all! None! Where are the witches? I was promised witches! I am very dissapointed.

So to sum up, NOW engages in none of the behaviors attributed to feminism by good old PR.

Next!

-NoCapo

Old 03-04-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Did you even read that before you posted it? Do you not comprehend what you read? None of that validates Robertson's charges. Where is the part about killing children? Which is the part that you are interpreting as feminists "practicing witchcraft?"
Abortion? Are you familiar with that?

Again, your interpretation of witchcraft will not be proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I see "opposing racism and fighting bigotry against lesbians", would you care to explain how that serves to authenticate Robertson's claim that feminists are trying to make women become lesbians?

That you would resort to so desperate a tactic, as though we wouldn't actually read your list or compare it to what Robertson said.....shame on you for wasting our time with such blatant dishonesty.
They do at least most of the things that he stated, but that doesn't mean that's all they are about. You are moving the goal post because as I stated before, this is not a discussion, this is you trying to win an argument. We aren't discussing what they believe, we discussing if they exhibit the 4 views that were pointed out. Can you stick to your point please?

Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
So not telling women to kill their children (advocating legal abortion and a woman's right to choose is not the same as advocating the termination of a pregnancy, let alone killing a child)
A difference of perspective. If a woman says she wants to terminate a pregnancy, she is taking life.

Quote:
Not telling women to leave their husbands and become lesbians (Protecting the legal rights of LGBT individuals is not the same as trying to turn women gay)
Never said it did. Not sure where you got that from

Quote:
And, the kicker, no witches at all! None! Where are the witches? I was promised witches! I am very dissapointed.
You were not promised witches. I have already said, I can't prove someone being a witch especially if people like you don't believe they exist.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
A difference of perspective. If a woman says she wants to terminate a pregnancy, she is taking life.
I get that, but NOW is not advocating getting abortions, they are advocating that a woman should have the right to get an abortion. The right to choose. So the using NOW as an example of feminism pushing women to kill their children fails.

Quote:
Never said it did. Not sure where you got that from
OK, so why did you use the blurb about NOW to try to support your contention that feminism is turning women gay? So we agree that NOW is not doing this

Quote:
You were not promised witches. I have already said, I can't prove someone being a witch especially if people like you don't believe they exist.
Well great, so NOW isn't promoting witchcraft either...

So it appears you have established... nothing. And that is after lowering the bar from showing how feminism promotes these 4 "evils" to showing how some feminists are promoting the 4 "evils.

Recall how I mentioned iron sharpening iron? This is the point where you have the opportunity to examine your own viewpoint and shore it up. Look at what you are defending, what you are claiming and improve your arguments or abandon indefensible ones. This is the point of banging conflicting ideas together.

-NoCapo

Old 03-04-2015, 07:32 PM

33,595 posts, read 37,235,200 times
Quote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=does...hcraft&tbm=nws

There is over 82,000 articles on witchcraft that has made the news recently. Pick one.
There are 1,060,000 results when I search for alien abduction news, so do you believe that too?....How old are you anyway?

"During many ages there were witches. The Bible said so. The Bible commanded that they should not be allowed to live. Therefore the Church, after doing its duty in but a lazy and indolent way for 800 years, gathered up its halters, thumbscrews, and firebrands, and set about its holy work in earnest. She worked hard at it night and day during nine centuries and imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches, and washed the Christian world clean with their foul blood. Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been. One does not know whether to laugh or to cry."
Mark Twain

Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,270,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I am surrounded with them, and they are beyond awesome.
Lucky you! It takes a strong, secure man to be a feminist.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:36 PM

888 posts, read 455,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
"During many ages there were witches. The Bible said so. The Bible commanded that they should not be allowed to live. Therefore the Church, after doing its duty in but a lazy and indolent way for 800 years, gathered up its halters, thumbscrews, and firebrands, and set about its holy work in earnest. She worked hard at it night and day during nine centuries and imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches, and washed the Christian world clean with their foul blood. Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been. One does not know whether to laugh or to cry."
Mark Twain
Great quote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality