Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 09:16 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

But isn't that just a case of No 9 clarifies no 2" You can't Eve was not not sinless for being talked into eating he apple no more than Adam was sinless because he wasn't the first to do so.

If minor contradictions like that disqualify the Apochrypha, major ones such as we find in the gospels, ought to disqualify those, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 01:59 AM

28 posts, read 17,264 times
well Im a Catholic and think we are the real Christians.

what pisses me of is when people have been repeating: "the Pope is the antiChrist" for 500 years.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhite2017 View Post
well Im a Catholic and think we are the real Christians.

what pisses me of is when people have been repeating: "the Pope is the antiChrist" for 500 years.
Well, you won't hear that from we gobbless dastards at any rate, since we believe in an antichrist no more than an antechrist. But what pisses us off a bit is over a thousand years of claiming Papal authority from one of Jesus' more flawed disciples, put in Charge by a demonstrably fictitious passage in Matthew and sent to Rome (in tradition, at least, if not in fact) as Pope Mark 1

Speaking just for myself, I don't suppose Cephas ever went to Rome, but if he did, it was as no friend to Rome or to Pauline Christianity, which is the basis of the Gospels which are the basis of Papal authority.

And we already did Pope Peter 1st's tomb on the Vatican.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:21 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Assuming that's meant as a serious question:

Anglicans Online | The Nicene Creed
I know what the Nicene Creed is. My question was specifically what in the Creed. identifies one as Christian? How much of it does one have to believe? Do we have to agree on what the terms in the Creed are identified as? There are many people from all sorts of interesting belief systems that can all nod their heads and say "Yes--I agree with that"....but we don't believe the same regarding who God is, who Jesus is, what it means for him to die and rise again, etc.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Seriously. I used to sit in a location at work not far from the desk of a Methodist minister's son. He liked to talk about Christianity. He seemed to hold it in a different light and make an off-handed comment about Catholics not being Christian.

I kept it to myself but thought it was so stupid that I couldn't get mad.

To me, any religion whose scriptural works are ONLY and BOTH the Old Testament and the New Testament, with the emphasis that your faith is put in practice largely through the New Testament, is a Christian religion. Period.

I'm not a religious expert, but I don't know what to make of religions that profess to be Christian but have OTHER books. I just don't know.

So, are Catholics Christians in your mind?
Did Jesus have a New Testament handy with him? No, so to you he wasn't Christian, he was only Jewish?
Did Paul have a New Testament handy with him? No. Did James? No. Did Mathew? No. Did Mark? No.

Wasn't the first "Christian" to have a version of first New Testament cannon actually Emperor Constantine and his less than 1,000 paid Bishops that came to the canonization meeting he requested?

Old 06-09-2017, 08:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
I'll just remind everyone that it was the Roman Catholic Church that believes none of us are true Christians....so there's that. This feud is not entirely one-way.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'll just remind everyone that it was the Roman Catholic Church that believes none of us are true Christians....so there's that. This feud is not entirely one-way.
We europeans are aware of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hoPGiClufk

Old 06-09-2017, 10:40 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The at some time conservative leaders of the RRC considered any heretic to be standing against Christian "unity" as they believed Jesus had commanded through Paul and Peter as representative's of Jesus' authority on Earth, and thus "not Christian," otherwise Christians aren't following the Gospel message of Christian unity, which is a bad reflection on Jesus. It's the classic "No True Scottsman [would support a heresy]" fallacy.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:27 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times
No denomination has a monopoly on Christianity. God did not intend for there to be denominations- this was a man made idea. Catholics certainly can be Christians.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:48 AM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
I held the view that Catholicism was pagan. However, I have realized that Cathocisn is the original Christianity.

Thr impression I get is that Catholics call themselves Catholics while other denominations tend to call themselves Christians.

I also get the impression that Catholics pray to the Virgin Mary and to the saints.

Now I did say 'impression'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality