Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 AM

354 posts, read 1,077,361 times

Advertisements

I can't tell if "Razzel" actually read my post and is disagreeing with me or is trying to tell me he knows the Catholic Doctrine better than thoursands of clergy and the Pope? I am a practicing Roman Catholic and I'm telling you we are NOT worshipping anyone or anything other than God. I know what my church teaches.

I don't follow my faith/religion blindly. I'm dispelling the "myth" for whoever is interested in finding truth. If you go to the source (a Catholic) and get a direct answer about something you are confused about however, still decide to go ahead and claim something is NOT what it is.....wouldn't that be gossip? Spreading false rumours and lies? I hope that is not what you are trying to do. Promoting "division" rather than pursuing truth and unity in not pleasing to God.

There is a sin called "presumation".
I do not presume to know who is in heaven and who is in hell. I would guess there are millions of Catholics in hell as well as Protestants, Jews, Muslims, etc.........No religion is exempt because you cry "Lord, Lord I know you".
My job is to be a good Catholic/Christian and to ask the Lord daily for mercy because we are all sinners.

SIN is black and white........but circumstances are not.
To commit sin........you have to be AWARE it's a sin.......and WILLFULLY choose to commit it.
I truly hope God takes into account our life experience......level of intelligence.......education.....country you were born into (3rd world) etc, when passing judgement on our eternal salvation.
We "Christians" have faith.......but are we being charitable in our deeds and words? ("That you do to the least of my brothers....you do unto me.")

For the record: The Catholic Church does not teach us that we are the only religion who can get to heaven. We only know that Christ said he would leave us a "Visible" Church and the gates of hell would not prevail. HISTORICALLY, the Catholic Church was the 1st church (that is not my opinion....read history books that aren't "religious").

Christ suffered and died for our sins so that we COULD enter heaven.......that doesn't mean we are guaranteed it. He gave us the opportunity to ask for forgiveness and to be forgiven. For God to send his only son to suffer and die for us......just affirms in my mind....he WANTS us in heaven. He isn't looking for every little "reason" to send us to hell. Sounds like he is trying to be as merciful as he can without "forcing" his will on us since he gave us free will.

To the other comment about Jesus being a Jew.......you are correct. He certainly was. The Catholic Church acknowledges that.
Jesus could NOT have been a Christian himself because the religion did not exsist until JESUS created it. He was not technically a "Christian"........how could he be? He wasn't following HIMSELF......WE Christians are following HIM! I hope that explantion helps in clearing up the Christian/Jewish confusion?

I certainly don't mind having an intelligent exchange with people if they want to learn what the Catholic Church is teaching but I'm not here to boast that I'm better than anyone else or that I have all the answers. I don't. I'm trying to explain to those who are curious about the Catholic Church and its' true teachings, what we, as an universal instuition believe.
If you are already convinced that Catholics are a cult and are going to hell and want to plug your ears and say "nah, nah, nah.......I can't hear you", then I'm sorry you are choosing to react that way. You have already made up your mind.
I will pray for you and you pray for me.

Don't just take my "word" for it. Please do the research yourself to fully comprehend what my posts are discussing. There is plenty of historical (not religious) material to back up the comments I have made.
"The Cathesicm of The Catholic Church" (sort of like a manual) to dispel any myths you might have about what the teachings are of the Catholic Church is another place to do your research if you are concerned about any of our practices. That is the beauty of this religion. We don't have to go by one person's opinion.
You can't argue with facts.......you can only disagree with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 12:19 PM

27 posts, read 74,696 times
I havent read all the post, and I breifly read the last post. This thread caught my attention because I confess that I have had a negative vibe towards the Cathloic belief in the past, and if someone would say that they were Cathloic I would kinda half hearted judge them, which is completley not fair! First of all, Jesus himself said there is no jew nor gentile, man or women, but we are all christians (not specific to a denomination) anyways, the biggest error ACADIANIRISH pointed out is that we cause division amongst each other which in turn damages the gospel messages. Many times Apostle Paul teaches about being united and staying in one accordance.

The one struggle or gripe I have about the "Cathloic" belief or what have you, would be that in which we are forgiven by grace but we maintain our salvation through works. That is completely against the teachings of the Lord, Human merit alone cannot gaurantee or preserve our salvation.

We as believers in Christ have to strive to unite and follow the one true truth, which is Christ himself. We sometimes (me incl.) get so caught up defending our church or our denomination that we miss the true message of the gospel.

Whether your Cathloic, Baptist, Luthrean, etc... (how do we get so many denominations from one book) we are all children of the light, we must live like we are, not becuase we need to for our salvation, but becuase we want to.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,361 times
AMEN to that, "tverde"!!!!!!

We can't lose sight of the message......
I would think that Satan's motto would be: "Divide and conquer"....... Keep the Christians busy focussing on their differences so in the process of "defending" their faith they will start acting like hypocritics do......which will in eventually turn EVERYONE away from all religion and eventually God.
Cunning plan that serpent has......

Old 03-12-2008, 01:03 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tverde View Post
The one struggle or gripe I have about the "Cathloic" belief or what have you, would be that in which we are forgiven by grace but we maintain our salvation through works. That is completely against the teachings of the Lord, Human merit alone cannot gaurantee or preserve our salvation.
Catholics do NOT believe in justification on works alone. We believe faith combined with works will pave the path to heaven.

Check James 2:14-26.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Catholics do NOT believe in justification on works alone. We believe faith combined with works will pave the path to heaven.

Check James 2:14-26.

There is a difference that we are missing here. Faith without works is a dead faith...I agree that if you believe in something then you should live it, however to say that our works has anything to remotley do with our salvation is blasphemy.

Apostle paul even said it himself, that mans greatest achievments or works are like a filthly rags to the Lord. If we are all Sinners and are only justified and saved through the Sinless Lord Jesus, what makes you think that anything we do is worthy of that gift?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:16 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
There is a difference in Catholicism and Christian in regards to the proper interpretation of the Bible.
One in particular difference abundantly clear is that many Catholics do in fact worship Mary and worship other saints.

Christians only worship The ALMIGHTY FATHER (GOD) and believe that Jesus Christ was the SON OF GOD-not just a man.
How could you have read this thread and still state "many Catholics do in fact worship Mary ect.."

Allow me to make it clear to you, sir. Catholics do NOT worship Mary or any of the Saints. Ever. We do ask for their intercession on our behalf just as you would ask your Bible study group to pray for you in a difficult time. We also do NOT worship statues. They're pretty what can I say? But that is all there is to it. Don't Protestant churches have crusifixes or other representations of Christ in their churchs?

What a silly reason to feel superiour to Catholics.......

Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 PM

738 posts, read 1,883,831 times
[quote=AcadianIrish;3116619]I can't tell if "Razzel" actually read my post and is disagreeing with me or is trying to tell me he knows the Catholic Doctrine better than thoursands of clergy and the Pope? I am a practicing Roman Catholic and I'm telling you we are NOT worshipping anyone or anything other han God. I know what my church teaches.

Neither one.
Sorry that you and others became so irritated because of my post. I truly meant no disrespect to you or to your beliefs.

I do not classify or label myself as a Christian. I need no classification as to what religion I belong to.
My mother was raised Catholic and I have many friends who are Catholic. They pray to the Virgin Mary and other saints and to say Hail Marys for a penance. Correct?????

My mother told me she use to pray:
Hail Mary, Daughter of God the Father, Mother of God the Son, Spouse of the Holy Spirit, Temple of the Blessed Trinity. Hail Mary, my Mistress, my treasure, my joy, Queen of my heart; my Mother and my life, my sweetness, my dearest hope, my very heart and soul.

I am all yours, and all that I have is yours, O Virgin blessed above all things!

May your soul be in me to magnify the Lord; may your spirit be in me to rejoice in God. Set yourself, O faithful Virgin, as a seal upon my heart that in you and through you I may be found faithful to God. Receive me, O gracious Virgin, among those whom you love and instruct, whom you guide, cherish, and protect as your children.

I am all yours, and all that I have is yours, O Virgin blessed above all things!

I meant no disrespect to you or your faith. Truly sorry!

Old 03-12-2008, 01:22 PM

anything being worship in itself or by itself is consider idolitry...Even if you pray to a cross..you pray to the LIVING GOD, u might use the cross in a reminder of him and what did for us..but everything we every need anything that we ever could want, comes from our Lord Jesus.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:08 PM

738 posts, read 1,883,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
How could you have read this thread and still state "many Catholics do in fact worship Mary ect.."

Allow me to make it clear to you, sir. Catholics do NOT worship Mary or any of the Saints. Ever. We do ask for their intercession on our behalf just as you would ask your Bible study group to pray for you in a difficult time. We also do NOT worship statues. They're pretty what can I say? But that is all there is to it. Don't Protestant churches have crusifixes or other representations of Christ in their churchs?

What a silly reason to feel superiour to Catholics.......
I never said that I feel or felt superior to Catholics.

Where did you get that from???????
I was simply stating ONE difference. There are many. I can not and do not judge anyone. How do I know what is in your heart? Who am I?

Again, I meant no disrespect- to anyone-

Old 03-12-2008, 02:17 PM

Razzel you do bring up a good point, Cathloics and Christians alike read the same Bible. Where does it show or state that we should pray to Mary or any other states.

If I remember right, Jesus died for us so that he could become the Mediator between us and God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality