Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 03:44 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I find it strange that Catholics/Christians believe God sent part 2 of his 3-part self to fake being human and pretend to die for 3 days before zooming back up to heaven to re-assume his deputy godhood.

And this "sacrifice" was supposed to atone for a woman who, thousands of years earlier, disobeyed God #1 and followed a suggestion made by a talking snake.
Well, when you say it that way, it all just seem insane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 03:44 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
If you would put this thread in the Christianity section then it would closed down of the first day ................... Most of the Doctrine of the Catholic church is correct , except the belief in praying to the saints , as I would give the virgin a pass and understand the revelation God has for the virgin but the other saint of heaven , I cannot see the faith there , as Jesus in the understanding I got is that the prayers of heaven from saints will be dry and a dead end , as Jesus said he will judge the generation from what this generation does and does not do and interference from the saints heaven will not happen??? ....................... Other stand is that some in the catholic faith confess that if you are not catholic then you are not saved , which I found to be strictly incorrect and mostly just a religious comment , as there are countless believers in Christ who are saved and know Jesus and were baptized in the Holy Spirit and not Catholic , , as God is diverse and calls us to love them all

Old 11-20-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Transubstantiation was always my sticking point, I just didn't see how it could really happen.
Yeah, I never even believed that as a kid. But I do see the beauty in the Mass.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post

Both Logic and history attest to the fact that an unmarried priest is better able to serve God; without the "distractions" of a wife and family. Both the Priesthood and parenthood are full-time jobs; that are better met and fulfilled by not combining both.

The Church has tried it both ways.

God Bless you,

Patrick
Not really. The distraction of "semen buildup" is much worse And if parenthood is a full time job, how do you explain the millions of parents who have jobs? FWIW, my Presbyterian church has 3 pastors, all married with kids. They manage to get their work done.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I think this could be another whole thread but ... I have always thought it was the other way around. Clergy, teachers, scout leaders are positions that pedophiles take to get close to the children they are attracted to. Being celibate doesn't create a pedophile, a pedophile finds a place where he/she can gain access. Considering that the church, specifically the Catholic church in recent history, has aided these sorts of people by covering their actions and *not* kicking them out is more the problem than celibacy.
I believe, in the Catholic church's case, that the priesthood creates a "hiding place" for sexual dysfunction. I've known a few gay priests who admitted that the priesthood was really their only option in life because it would have "dishonored" their families to come out as gay. So become a priest, and then nobody can question your sexuality anymore. Some of them were still celibate, a couple got HIV (this was early '90s), so obviously not all were being celibate. But it can also be a hiding place for pedophiles who think their "urges" will go away. Ignoring the issue doesn't fix it.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post

God Bless you!

Patrick
Well, thank you Patrick. God bless you too.

p.s. I've known more than one nun who would be able to teach a room full of 9-year-old's, celebrate Mass AND make pumpkin bread. Priests who can only do one job at a time need to take a lesson.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:12 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I think the oddest thing about the Roman Catholic Church is its insistence that it is the original church. A basic review of early Christian history would easily show that not to be true.

The other thing I think is weird is the immaculate conception of Mary. It seems superfluous and unnecessary to Christianity that Mary had to have been conceived as sinless.

As a non-Catholic Christian I obviously don't agree with a lot of the dogma, but I do understand how most of it came about. Also, there is a pretty good Catholic apologist named Karl Keating. I read one of his books, and it was very informative as to why and when the RCC adopted certain beliefs that have been rejected by other Christian traditions.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I can't be part of an institution that massacred thousands, women in fields picking herbs!
Or anyone that hides a pedophile rather than calling the police...I left another group because of this 'not calling the police' thing.
I was Catholic and confirmed by Bishop Fulton J Sheen...I was VERY Catholic.

I do like some things about the Church, tho...and how you are raised with a
'bent' towards the mystical...magical things in life.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:02 PM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Not really. The distraction of "semen buildup" is much worse
Lol! I owe you a rep for that.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:05 PM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
The Church has a very uneasy and kind of dark perspective on sexuality from my observations.
Yes. And it's the same situation in the conservative Protestant churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality