Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 01:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I have learned to dislike the militant atheists as much as the evangelicals;
they are both the same, two sides of the same coin. I want nothing to do with them.
Oh, Mattie jo...you don't know militant till you've dated a militant vegetarian!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 02:22 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh, Mattie jo...you don't know militant till you've dated a militant vegetarian!!!
Eek! Run for your lives!

Old 10-26-2017, 02:25 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Aint that the truth lol, or those freaks who hate fur, they don't seem to mind breaking the law because of their belief. I could just see somebody throwing paint on my mom's furs before she became a Christian, my mother was a beauty Queen, you wouldn't know it, but she would win a fist fight with most men. The things I saw my mom do lol.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:03 PM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
...or been the mother of one.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:35 PM

197 posts, read 86,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Being an ex-Southern Baptist, I can tell you that a majority don't even recognize the possibility that anyone could believe anything else, particularly the older generations. I was raised in a small southern town in the 60's and 70's and I didn't know of other religions, other than what I perceived were small cults as portrayed on TV. Not going to church was synonymous with Devil-Worship and labeled you a social outcast. We had a few Lutheran and Methodists in town, but they were simply misguided but acceptable.
Thank you.

I used to hear all the wonderful things about Southern people who live by their slogan "southern hospitality"

A Caucasian colleague helps me see the myth about that phrase.

Southern Baptist
Heterosexual
Caucasian

According to my colleague, I need to satisfy the first 2 categories. At the very least, I have to be a Christian Baptist. Otherwise, southern hospitality will become southern hostility.

Although my colleague is a white man, he's not from the South. His words seem credible as I can see how Christian Baptists on city-data react towards non Christians, plus the news about Bible belts. However, I would love to hear from you directly if I may. Is it true that Southern hospitality only applies to Christians?

Old 10-26-2017, 04:33 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
Thank you.

I used to hear all the wonderful things about Southern people who live by their slogan "southern hospitality"

A Caucasian colleague helps me see the myth about that phrase.

Southern Baptist
Heterosexual
Caucasian

According to my colleague, I need to satisfy the first 2 categories. At the very least, I have to be a Christian Baptist. Otherwise, southern hospitality will become southern hostility.

Although my colleague is a white man, he's not from the South. His words seem credible as I can see how Christian Baptists on city-data react towards non Christians, plus the news about Bible belts. However, I would love to hear from you directly if I may. Is it true that Southern hospitality only applies to Christians?
"Baptist" is a pretty diverse label. Southern Baptist Convention is substantively different from, say, General Association of Regular Baptist. And all of it mixes with different subcultures, including those derived from the antebellum South.

All that said, in general, I'd say the Southern hospitality doesn't react well to violations of its own cultural norms, which are historically classist.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:55 PM

197 posts, read 86,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
the Southern hospitality doesn't react well to violations of its own cultural norms, which are historically classist.
Do you mind expanding this statement? I don't quite understand it. What is the cultural norm of that phrase?

Old 10-26-2017, 05:33 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
My grandmother and Mother became Pentecostal because My grandmother finally talked her best friend into attending church at the Southern Baptist{1930's} but my grandma's friend was black and they wouldn't allow my grandma's friend, and so there was only one other church in that town and it was Pentecostal lol.

But I am no longer Pentecostal, and while I am sure Southern Baptists are completely innocent of racism in this day, it was a thing back in the day, but a great deal of my family are proud southern Baptist and they sure are not racist.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 10-26-2017 at 05:41 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 06:20 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
Do you mind expanding this statement? I don't quite understand it. What is the cultural norm of that phrase?
Well this article is an okay summary and I think the key is the phrase from the initial quote from Abbott:
Quote:
A traveler, with the garb and the manners of a gentleman, finds a welcome at every door.
In other words if you have the outward signifiers of being of the same privileged class, you're showered with kindness. But if you're poor, or "the help", it's a different story. One ugly expression of it was the attempts to justify Jim Crow laws (separate restrooms for "colored", etc) with the notion that blacks were fundamentally unsanitary.

I think the stereotype of being asked what church you go to is in part a form of social triangulation to make sure you're a good churchgoing Christian just like the inquirer, which illustrates that there's a lot of class consciousness / angst.

My exposure to Southern custom is not very deep though so I'll defer to people who live or have lived there rather than merely visited. I'm sure there are wide variations between states and particularly between urban and rural areas, etc.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:48 PM

840 posts, read 774,549 times
Jesus Christ stated:

“Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake.” (Matthew 5:11)

The basic reason why true Christians are persecuted is that they are no part of the present wicked system of things.

Jesus told his disciples:

“If you were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, on this account the world hates you.” (John 15:19)

Similarly, the apostle Peter stated:

“Because you do not continue running with them in this course to the same low sink of debauchery, they are puzzled and go on speaking abusively of you.” (1 Peter 4:4).

Early Christians were persecuted because they refused to stop preaching in the name of Jesus, in search of those interested in following him, though living in a world governed by Satan the Devil.

Christ commissioned his followers:

“You will be witnesses of me . . . to the most distant part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)

Faithful Christians today have zealously carried out that commission (Revelation 7:9), worldwide, and united in their beliefs & practices (1 Corinthians 1:10). Therefore, they too have been persecuted--and are still being persecuted in places even today.

"The Face of Prejudice Through the Centuries"

"Prepared to Preach Despite Persecution"

"The Apostles Preach Fearlessly"

A few modern counterparts:

"We Would Not Compromise Our Faith"

"[Russian] Appellate Court
Rules to Keep Dennis Christensen in Pretrial Detention"

"Determined to Be a Soldier of Christ"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality