Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:47 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not dumb, just willing to suspend knowledge and judgment to accept what you THINK are God's very own words because you allow that God CAN do anything and make anything work. You refuse to consider whether or not the words you believe are actually from God (you test the Spirit of nothing) or if they are really intended to teach history or just to convey a lesson or principle or whether or not there is any evidence or reason to believe God DID do ANY of the things you think He is capable of.
Well one of your buddies says I'm dumb and you say I'm not. I am in a quandary now as to whom to believe.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not dumb, just willing to suspend knowledge and judgment to accept what you THINK are God's very own words because you allow that God CAN do anything and make anything work. You refuse to consider whether or not the words you believe are actually from God (you test the Spirit of nothing) or if they are really intended to teach history or just to convey a lesson or principle or whether or not there is any evidence or reason to believe God DID do ANY of the things you think He is capable of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Well one of your buddies says I'm dumb and you say I'm not. I am in a quandary now as to whom to believe.
I am not responsible for what anyone else thinks, buddy or no. I have figured you out, Eusebius. Your silly rationalizations (Freeze dried food, etc.) expose your willingness to suspend all rational thought and knowledge to simply excuse and accept what you read as fact no matter how preposterous it might be.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:56 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Mmmm...so, what is the "debate" here, exactly? All this based on that cartoon? (Which I actually see humor in, albeit a different g humor from the OPs) For me, its pretty simple. When I came to Faith, the questions I had been carrying for so long, became irrelevant. At least in how these questions relate to my current state of being. I still revisit them ,on occasion, but from a different perspective. I don't need the answers to them ,yet, and asking them does not make me any more intelligent or reasoning of a being.

Rather, they served more to make me seem arrogant and foolish, in the face of so.etching to big for my human brain to wrap around. A little humility doesn't hurt. My Faith, also, does not mean that I reject science. Truthfully, I find science as fascinating and thought provoking as anyone. We were given our powers of reasoning, analyzing, and our burning curiosity, for a purpose. To not put those things to good and beneficial use would be a sin, in and of itself.

K must don't find that using those things to try and disprove the existence of God, and to ridicule believers, is a proper application. Rather, that seems a waste, of time and talent, better used elsewhere. If all the effort to disprove God, and to prove Him, for that matter, were applied to cancer research, we'd be seeing more headway, methinks.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:05 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Can you imagine, you die, your idea of god and heaven is real, and then:
I find it quite amazing this notion that we've evolved from monkeys is actually ascribed to and taken seriously.

Why have we not seen any evidence of the evolving monkey over at least the last 2000 years let alone the existence of Mankind?

Could it possibly be because the whole idea isn't happening?

Maybe the process just happens veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy slow

Certainly it helps explain a population of 6+ billion humans << sarcasm

Old 05-02-2016, 08:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I find it quite amazing this notion that we've evolved from monkeys is actually ascribed to and taken seriously.

Why have we not seen any evidence of the evolving monkey over at least the last 2000 years let alone the existence of Mankind?

Could it possibly be because the whole idea isn't happening?

Maybe the process just happens veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy slow

Certainly it helps explain a population of 6+ billion humans << sarcasm
Oh, jeez.

Eusie Jr.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:13 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Oh, jeez.
Eusie Jr.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,

Old 05-02-2016, 08:32 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Firstly, humans did not evolve from monkeys. Instead, monkeys and humans shared a common ancestor from which both evolved from around 25 million years ago.

Kind of like asking...How can I share common grandparents with my cousins if my cousins and my grandparents are still alive?

Evolution is not a linear process...it's a branching process.
Quote:
Evolution has not stopped.
  • Monkeys are evolving
  • Apes are evolving
  • Humans are evolving

Evolution is not a process in which species universally progress up a "ladder".
Quote:
Maybe the process just happens veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlNLT_qy4F0

Old 05-02-2016, 10:52 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:

That's were you are wrong. Your Jesus was a black dude - well, darker than modern middle easterners. People have been getting lighter skinned over the ages. Some quicker than others, depending on where they live. In Africa, not so much. Far north, quite a bit.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:35 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
It isn't...other than by scientifically ignorant creationists.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:47 AM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It isn't...other than by scientifically ignorant creationists.
Well said.

Anyone saying we think humans came from monkeys is displaying an ignorance bordering on stupidity. Calling a chimpanzee a monkey is like, you know, dumb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality