Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 04:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I understand exactly what you are talking about. I have no problem with that kind of swearing.
But trust me, the kind of bitter and angry swearing I hear from people getting angry at religion is NOT the same thing.

Don't kid yourselves people.
the thing I disagree with ozzy is lumping all us non believers together. we all do not follow the same dogma of anti-religion nor were we indoctrinated into personal relevance and "springboarding science" is what decides how we teach to how the universe works.

most of us believe we are part of a larger more complex system and most of us feel freedom of religion shows the emotional and intellectual maturity of a society.

And i can fill that claim with foul and suggestive language.
it would be just as true.

Just don't show it to my mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 05:18 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, actually yes, but we don't know that either.
If all we had about the battle of Waterloo was a Book compiled of all the other Books on the battle written 150 -200 years after the event and first memoirs (lost or suppressed) not extant, then the splendid words: "The guard dies, it does not surrender' would probably be canonical today (in France, it is) because we would not know that it was invented by a journalist and we would no more know that Cambronne denied that he ever said it, and that he did not die, but surrendered. No more than we could know that Jesus' body was removed from Joseph's tomb and taken to Galilee (if that was the case) and the explanation of the empty tomb was never given in the account that was allowed to survive.

It is significant that any early accounts have been lost or suppressed, because a Jesus anything like the Gospel Jesus ought to have got into Josephus at least, and that a faux -account had to be inserted means that Josephus, inexplicably, failed to mention the fellow or what he said about him had to be suppressed. It is also possible that he was too insignificant to get any attention, but I reckon the Temple business (unless it is totally made -up) had to be bigger and more violent than depicted, as Pilate and his entire complement of troops would be on guard during any festival. Jesus could never have got away with it, otherwise.

Yes, there's more to this story than meets the eye, because the church saw to it that we never got to see it.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:46 PM

50,844 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
a belief in god is doesn't matter.
But the rest does matter.

a reasonable amount of love, compassion, understanding, empathy, altruism, and a willing to help are what matter.
Damn. Now I have to agree with you on something.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:39 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
the thing I disagree with ozzy is lumping all us non believers together. we all do not follow the same dogma of anti-religion nor were we indoctrinated into personal relevance and "springboarding science" is what decides how we teach to how the universe works.

most of us believe we are part of a larger more complex system and most of us feel freedom of religion shows the emotional and intellectual maturity of a society.

And i can fill that claim with foul and suggestive language.
it would be just as true.

Just don't show it to my mom.
Obviously most atheists are not this way.

I guess I should use the label "Anti-Theist" to be more specific. Or is it Anti-Religion?

Old 01-31-2019, 07:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
I understand exactly what you are talking about. I have no problem with that kind of swearing.
But trust me, the kind of bitter and angry swearing I hear from people getting angry at religion is NOT the same thing.

Don't kid yourselves people.
Presumably, you're talking about this forum.

Examples of this kind of "bitter and angry" swearing?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:12 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Presumably, you're talking about this forum.

Examples of this kind of "bitter and angry" swearing?
Not people on this forum. But some of the anti-theist people I've seen clips of. I'm sure all of the heroes of the people on this forum. George Carlin is mild, if anything. But then he usually had something constructive to say, which differentiates him from the rest.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:54 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Well, actually yes, but we don't know that either.
My point is that it seems to me that accuracy in reporting or attribution is much less important than whether or not what was written has any application or value for whomever is reading it.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 PM

50,844 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
My point is that it seems to me that accuracy in reporting or attribution is much less important than whether or not what was written has any application or value for whomever is reading it.
And my point is actually similar, but let me explain.

I consider myself a Buddhist, but wisdom is where I find it. If I find wisdom in the New Testament, that's fine. I've yet to find much in the Old Testament. If I find wisdom in some part of Hinduism, that's fine. If I find wisdom in something Donald Trump says (highly unlikely), that's fine, too.

I don't need the bible. I don't need to be a christian.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
And my point is actually similar, but let me explain.

I consider myself a Buddhist, but wisdom is where I find it. If I find wisdom in the New Testament, that's fine. I've yet to find much in the Old Testament. If I find wisdom in some part of Hinduism, that's fine. If I find wisdom in something Donald Trump says (highly unlikely), that's fine, too.

I don't need the bible. I don't need to be a christian.
Of course not. Neither do I.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Obviously most atheists are not this way.

I guess I should use the label "Anti-Theist" to be more specific. Or is it Anti-Religion?
Didn't I already do this? Atheists are non -theistic. They cannot be 'anti' something they don't think exists.

But many of them (including myself) are anti -religion or, more specifically anti the influence of organised religion. We don't mind about religion itself, provided it doesn't impact society the way it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality