Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 05:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The foul language of non-believers tells me everything I need to know about non-believers.
It gives you just the excuse you need to stick your fingers in your ears. You should access Dawkins' hate mail/love mail videos and see how this pose of Christian offended by bad language (never mind toxic hostility) is a hypocritical ploy, cynically exploited as an excuse not to Listen. We can read you people like a book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 07:14 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
The foul language of non-believers tells me everything I need to know about non-believers.
yeah ozzy., I agree with some of your stuff. That being ... both camps have knuckle heads in them. But "foul langue of non-believers tells you ...." sounds exactly like some of the knuckle head rhetoric I hear in theist fundy camps. I hate the fact that soft spoken laid back people are instantly taken as "insightful". Some of them are laid back soft spoken liars.

foul langue doesn't determine the validity of a claim. remove the foul langue and see what is said.

The Bleeping sun is hot today.
The sun is hot today.

what? so the word bleep made the claim wrong? or does the fact that my thermometer in my car reads 2 degrees?

well, actually the sun is always hot, in a relative way.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It gives you just the excuse you need to stick your fingers in your ears. You should access Dawkins' hate mail/love mail videos and see how this pose of Christian offended by bad language (never mind toxic hostility) is a hypocritical ploy, cynically exploited as an excuse not to Listen. We can read you people like a book
yeah, I agree with.

ozzy tends to drift a bit.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:05 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
And THIS is the criteria you use to judge whether holier-than-thou Christians are the beloved of God which doesn't include skeptics?????

No wonder Christianity is on the way out!!

Quote:
The decline of Christianity is a widespread, ongoing phenomenon that has affected the Western world, developed countries and denominations in the post-World War II era, which have shifted towards a post-Christian, secular, globalized, multicultural, and multireligious society. Infant baptism has declined in many nations. Thousands of churches have had to close or merge and mainline Protestant denominations in the United States lost many members of their congregations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_of_Christianity

Old 01-31-2019, 09:27 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Even if many churches are poisoned, and many Christians are way off as compared to scripture and Jesus' message and ministry, it doesn't mean God/Jesus are going anywhere, or are going to disappear. They will be around and waiting, like the imagery of Jesus at the door knocking. Our cheap and often foolish ways won't discourage the eternal. They know us, even if they can't force us to change.

The years fly by, times change, nations rise and fall, the cosmic cycle continues. Much of that is the nature of existence. But some things remain, regardless of what we do. Those who refuse to acknowledge that part of nature and the universe will understandably live under a dark cloud of gloom that taints all their thoughts and words. We see a lot of that cold gloom on this forum.

Have a narrow scope - heavily focused on man and transience - and be caught up with the meaningless of it all. Broaden the scope to sense and see the eternal (including the vastness of nature and the universe), one can be encouraged. Man is just a drop in the huge sea of the universe, and we need to position ourselves relative to that. But man wants himself to be king and center of his universe, which will always be foolishness.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-31-2019 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-31-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, I agree with.

ozzy tends to drift a bit.
So do I Sometimes I shock myself when I post and look back at what the Topic is.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:25 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
God isn’t Mother Theresa. He doesn’t swoop down like Superman. He gave us free will. He can just shut back and watch us destroy ourselves. He owes us nothing. I have had some very trying times and have asked where he is. No answer. He isn’t obligated to answer. Or maybe he has and I’m too busy or jaded to realize it. So, I don’t think he ever came to me to help or intervene into my problems, yet I still believe in Him. Maybe I, or even you for that matter, need to go through some bad garbage for some reason. We will never know.
Yeah, I have that same issue with my god( Flying Spaghetti Monster). Sometimes I feel like he/she just isn’t listening to me. But, I’ll keep eat spaghetti and believing.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Even if many churches are poisoned, and many Christians are way off as compared to scripture and Jesus' message and ministry, it doesn't mean God/Jesus are going anywhere, or are going to disappear. They will be around and waiting, like the imagery of Jesus at the door knocking. Our cheap and often foolish ways won't discourage the eternal. They know us, even if they can't force us to change.

The years fly by, times change, nations rise and fall, the cosmic cycle continues. Much of that is the nature of existence. But some things remain, regardless of what we do. Those who refuse to acknowledge that part of nature and the universe will understandably live under a dark cloud of gloom that taints all their thoughts and words. We see a lot of that cold gloom on this forum.

Have a narrow scope - heavily focused on man and transience - and be caught up with the meaningless of it all. Broaden the scope to sense and see the eternal (including the vastness of nature and the universe), one can be encouraged. Man is just a drop in the huge sea of the universe, and we need to position ourselves relative to that. But man wants himself to be king and center of his universe, which will always be foolishness.
Yep, yep; when the earth is a cinder circling a white dwarf sun ready to explode, God and Jesus will exist then, exactly just as much as they do now., for my money, anyway.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:

there is a difference between religion and a "god" thingie. there is something, thats what the data suggest. so people that predict us being part of a larger more complex that may be "life" will always out number militant atheism. but a christian god thing will probably fade because it, and the people that follow it, counter observation. IMO that is.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:55 AM

73 posts, read 34,172 times
Quote:
Even if many churches are poisoned, and many Christians are way off as compared to scripture and Jesus' message and ministry, it doesn't mean God/Jesus are going anywhere, or are going to disappear.
Who is the determinate of the poisoned churches and way off Christians? You can't use the bible as reference because they also use the bible as a frame of reference. There are no established referees or judges to my knowledge. And if somehow there would be a consensus, could you call the poisoned churches and way off Christians, Christians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality