Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 05:42 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,260,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Survival of the fittest is not concerned with good and evil.
So, where does good or evil fit in?

AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Evil is not easier to do than good. Unless you are by nature an evil person.
By nature? Well.....if everybody , by nature" did good....than there would be no evil done right?

Good nature has an origin...question is...from who?

Aj

Old 05-03-2018, 05:59 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,029,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
So, where does good or evil fit in?

AJ
It doesn't in survival of the fittest. Your metabolic cells are neither moral or immoral.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:39 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,361,995 times
Quote:
Common sense belief …….in God

As a Gentile, meaning a non-Jew, I have not been chosen or given a law or specific location on planet earth to call my own. In that respect, I represent what the rest of humanity is in the world.
The only thing the Gentiles have in common with the Jews is a conscience towards a known God (Jewish God) to the Jews and an unknown god (Trees, Sun, Moon, god of the harvest…. the list goes on) to the Gentiles.

The Jews needed a sign to believe where as the Gentiles need none. Why such a disparity? I mean ……aren’t we all human beings with intelligence? Made of the same lump of clay…. earth?

Unless, as the saying goes… “To whom much is given, much is required”, is a key to the answer to the disparity.

So, for a Gentile who has no known god has no science proving there is a God. So, what if, a Gentile decides to look into the Jewish Gods claim of authenticity?

How can a Gentile accept such a claim that science can not otherwise prove the existence of a god?
Does a Gentile need a sign? NO! But, by the mere facts of things already existing in this world, by the intelligent design of not only the things on earth but also the organized, methodical, operation of the cosmos. I.e. The undying Sun by day, the guiding light , Moon, by night, the stars for navigation… the list goes on.

Surely… there must be a God. (Note: special emphasis on upper case letters to lower case letters in this post)

Since Science can not prove there is a God, we must conclude than (by common reasoning) that there must be something to the Jewish God that may hold the answer to our querying.

After all, we have a story of human beginnings, human behavioral limits all because there was A GOD that created it all. Now, that makes sense to me, a Gentile, so I’m interested.

I learn somethings that if I decide to believe in the Jewish God I have to accept it by faith and not by sign.
I also find that I, a Gentile without a known god, can know of a known God simply and only by faith alone. That to me would be a gift, free from any ties that Binds my curiosity to the unknown gods, that would otherwise, hold me in prison of an unanswerable QUERY.

So again, if I choose, by faith alone, to believe in the Jewish Messiah claims of my being accepted into the Jewish Gods Kingdom in the afterlife…. that would be a first.

So, the saying now make sense, even though it may have a wide range of applications, but in my case it is that “The first shall be last and the last shall be first”.

Makes sense that can easily be accepted. I , not being chosen (like the Jews) am first to believe in the Jewish Gods Messiah for their God promising me, not only an explanation of my beginnings, the reasons for my fallen state, but more like…. Tank you Jesus for rescuing me. (Hope restored)

Second place goes to the chosen for yet, to this day, need a sign in order to exercise faith in their Messiah as their true God.

Again, common sense tells me that their plight is my salvation therefore, they too will, by their own destiny become like as I am, saved by faith alone and not by all the required practices.

I believe, that for simplicity, that God, worked it all out for all our benefits, but each in its due time.
What does all this do to all the worlds religions and to those who refuse to believe in God?

Very simple……. Love! If, you love your neighbor you will love God. If you love God you will love your neighbor regardless of any stated religious (Religions) or none religious beliefs.

There would be no wars if, love was exercised, no killings, murders, stealing’s, hatred, greediness but purely giving of oneself, sharing ones possessions because it would be a God kind of love.
So, there neighbor, what have you to say bout that?

Blessings, AJ
When you speak of "the Jews," and what the Jews believe, you must be specific. The term "Jew" generally refers to individuals who have an inherited a background that is Jewish. Half of American Jews (an inherited background of Judaism) are atheists, having doubts concerning the existence of God. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_atheism

67% of the population of Israel is Hiloni (secular), rather than observant. So making claims about what "the Jews" have in common with Christians concerning God is largely Christian make believe at work. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiloni

Old 05-04-2018, 02:08 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,900,570 times
Quote:
So love is generated by evolution or was it enabled from the get go?
It's an emotion, just like anger sadness, happiness etc. Yes, it evolved. I'm sure the first macrobiotic life didn't experience 'love' but as species evolved to become more sophisticated and developed, they felt empathy towards each other within the species.

Quote:
To do bad, as in evil, is easier to do than good.
Are you saying evolution fashioned good behavoir over bad?
Yes. We humans, along with many other species, are highly social animals that live in 'groups' and we have learned that the best way to do this is not to kill each other. We don't kill or abuse others because we don't want to be killed or abused ourselves.

Quote:
So if we "think" something is bad we make up a law?
If we think something is detrimental to society and some people regularly do that thing then yes, we make a law against it to protect those that don't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
That's right ...we don't know. And, I'm not overly certain either that the God of the Bible had much to do with it ...mainly due to the biblical God's questionable behavior after creation. That said, I instinctively believe there is much more to this 'journey through space on a giant globe' than meets the eye. If we were all born aboard a humongous spaceship we would, at some point, question who was the designer of the spaceship and what was the initial purpose behind it.
...but that would be because we know that spaceships don't occur naturally. If there was verifiable evidence that spaceships occurred naturally then we wouldn't be looking for a 'purpose' or a 'designer'.

Quote:
Whoever the designer is or was we were created with a questioning mind.
That's assuming that we were 'created' by a 'designer' and for that there is not the slightest scrap of verifiable evidence. It's only when you assume a 'creation' that you require a 'creator'.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:06 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,339,487 times
Quote:
So love is generated by evolution or was it enabled from the get go?
Humans are gregarious creatures -- we don't like to be alone. In fact, prolonged isolation from human contact will literally drive a person insane (just ask an original American prisoner doing time in a Quaker penitentiary - they spent their entire sentences in solitary confinement and no one was allowed to talk; you had one window high in the wall through which you were to pray to God. Almost all of them went insane.)

Because humans like to be around each other, we evolved a certain awareness of what allows close human contact and what doesn't. In other words, if we had no qualms about murderer, people would avoid each other for fear of being killed. So we managed to evolve a sense of moral, emotional, and ethical codes.

As for your question about love -- I guess that would depend on what kind of love you're talking about. There are several different very distinct types.

Quote:
To do bad, as in evil, is easier to do than good.
That's not necessarily true.

Whether or not good or evil is the easiest path to take depends a lot on the people you're with and what their moral stance happens to be.

It is far easier to do good when those around you are also good.

Because of our need for acceptance.

Quote:
Are you saying evolution fashioned good behavoir over bad?
Evolution did not create the concepts of "good" and "bad." Without humans to make those judgments, good and bad wouldn't even exist anywhere in the universe. Things just ... are.

Is a lion being bad when it brings down a gazelle and rends it end to end? Is a star being bad when it goes supernova or unleashes a gamma ray burst that wipes out a nearby civilization?

It takes a human mind to decide those things. Evolution merely fashioned behavioral instincts that facilitate cooperative living. We've simply decided to label actions that make living with other humans difficult as being "bad" whilst labeling behaviors which bring a benefit to living in societies as being "good."

Quote:
So if we "think" something is bad we make up a law?
Sometimes. Though more often than not, laws aren't written whimsically because someone doesn't like something. There has to be a good enough reason to curtail existing freedoms.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:27 PM

Great discussions.
Gotta go.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,900,570 times
Quote:
Great discussions.
Gotta go.
So you still have no repost!

Old 05-05-2018, 04:05 AM

50,106 posts, read 20,862,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So you still have no repost!
"Strategic retreat,
beats being beat".

Old 05-05-2018, 07:12 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,648,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
"Strategic retreat,
beats being beat".
lmao, you do that all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality