Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:36 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,939 times

Advertisements

The bible says that Jesus was without "sin" It says essentially that humans are to emulate him and look up to him in addition to being the "world's savior" I ask you this...if Jesus was part god, then what made his "sinless" life so great then? If you have supernatural god like powers to resist this so called "sin" for the roughly 33 years he was supposed to have lived, why is this considered so great? Then he takes a "sleep" for 3 days or descends to hell or whatever and then goes back to heaven? What is so great about that as a sacrifice? The whole Jesus thing makes no sense to me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
The bible says that Jesus was without "sin" It says essentially that humans are to emulate him and look up to him in addition to being the "world's savior" I ask you this...if Jesus was part god, then what made his "sinless" life so great then? If you have supernatural god like powers to resist this so called "sin" for the roughly 33 years he was supposed to have lived, why is this considered so great? Then he takes a "sleep" for 3 days or descends to hell or whatever and then goes back to heaven? What is so great about that as a sacrifice? The whole Jesus thing makes no sense to me at all.
Exactly! What was this 'sacrifice' they keep banging on about? There is no sacrifice in his 'dying' because he didn't really die did he. Just a few days inconvenience. Rather than...'Jesus died for your sins.' I should be.. 'Jesus gave up his week-end for your sins.'

Old 09-07-2018, 12:24 AM

11,029 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Well, there is the nature of his death. Being flogged and crucified is no walk in the park but then again, being God, he wouldn't have felt a thing, leaving us with just being inconvenienced for a while. On the other hand, he was only promoted to God some years after is life and death so maybe since he was not God at the time of his crucifixion .....

Old 09-07-2018, 01:16 AM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
If we lived in a world without christianity, and someone made a movie of it, people would say that story line was bizarre.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:27 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
The cross of Christ is judgment for God on man , where people souls can be in unity with the living God through out eternity ...........See this judgment of God is were Jesus was lynched on the cross by people who were had the sin of envy by the unseen devil of this world , so sin comes under the spiritual authority of the devil .........God raised up Jesus to life and gave Jesus this authority for eternal life with God for all that will come to Him ......... So people must turn to Jesus and then reject sin of the devil through repentance , and God will protect them and give His spirit on these people who reject the devil, as the cross of Christ is judgment for all salvation and blessings from the Living God

Old 09-07-2018, 03:33 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The cross of Christ is judgment for God on man , where people souls can be in unity with the living God through out eternity ...........See this judgment of God is were Jesus was lynched on the cross by people who were had the sin of envy by the unseen devil of this world , so sin comes under the spiritual authority of the devil .........God raised up Jesus to life and gave Jesus this authority for eternal life with God for all that will come to Him ......... So people must turn to Jesus and then reject sin of the devil through repentance , and God will protect them and give His spirit on these people who reject the devil, as the cross of Christ is judgment for all salvation and blessings from the Living God
So what would happen if your omnigod destroys the devil?

Old 09-07-2018, 03:35 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
So what would happen if your omnigod destroys the devil?
That would be like destroying imagination...

Old 09-07-2018, 03:52 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,730,460 times
Quote:
hedidn't have God any more than any other old testament prophet did , Until his baptism... having the spirit of God in you doesn't mean you are superman. ask any Christian if temptation leaves you when you get the baptism.. NO it doesn't .. it means youhave more tools to fight that temptation.. but you still have a fight you never had before when sin owned you... and NO you do not become immune to sin . all men including King David's son have choices to make and all have a free will.
He chose to Not be his own God and He chose to follow the will of God . so God empowered him at 30 years old..
how much sin and deathing ( of the big 10) did you create by 30 years old ? it was surely enough to deserve hell/eternal death right ?
and he turned water into wine before he got the right arm of God as his spirit.
and miracles of which only men like Elijah and Moses did .

Old 09-07-2018, 05:21 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Well, there is the nature of his death. Being flogged and crucified is no walk in the park but then again, being God, he wouldn't have felt a thing, leaving us with just being inconvenienced for a while. On the other hand, he was only promoted to God some years after is life and death so maybe since he was not God at the time of his crucifixion .....
That's the most that can be said. Flogging and a crucifixion is not very pleasant. But that sort of stuff happened all the time. Alexander Jannaeus crucified hundreds of Pharisees. The Romans crucified hundreds of Spartacus' army. Titus crucified hundreds of Jews during the revolt. Indeed, Varus crucified hundreds for revolt in the time of Archelaus.

And for Jesus, it was not days of crucifixion, but hours at most. And it wasn't permanent. He was in the tomb start of Saturday and up and about two nights and a day later. For God to impose that blame game for the disobedience of two people and decide that this fraud of a 'death' (and it makes no difference whether it was himself, his Son or his gardener) was the One Thing that was needed for him to create a loophole in this universal punishment that he's imposed, makes no sense.

It has resulted in absurdity because of an evolution of the story, but that's another matter.

But I also don't find the character of Jesus so great either. The selfishness, arrogance and callousness of the man is shocking, and he's a moody and unbalanced fellow, too. Mark himself added a few hired hands to help old Zebedee's fishing business when Jesus told his boys to drop their nets and follow him. And anyone who thinks that Sermon on the mount is the last Word in ethics and morality might watch Matt Dillahunty's video analysis. It is pretty much bad advice, all the way.

I am not a bit impressed by his announcement that his cult -followers are now his family, and his mother and brothers are Outsiders until they convert, I am aghast at his rounding on the man to whom he had given the keys of heaven ten seconds before and tell him that he is thinking like man thinks and not as God thinks, and that he doesn't need someone a dupe of Satan around him. I am appalled by his acceptance of a dinner invitation and, after finishing off the wine and after - dinner mints, he turns to his host and proceeds to give him a right dressing -down. Nope, you won't find me inviting Jesus out for lunch. The only cup of cold water he'll get from me is one in the face.
I am sickened by the relish with which he excitedly anticipates, damning, division, death and destruction of everyone from from family to Capernaum, where in fact he got a pretty positive reception, whereas Nazareth, where they ran him out of town on a rail and tried to lynch him, got off without a scratch.

I am disgusted by the plan to talk only in parables because God had made sure that the people he preached to wouldn't understand them, because they had been damned from the first. And then in one of the many mood - swings, he tells the disciples that THEY don't understand, either, and has to explain. I would not have this fellow giving a slide -lecture on anything. And right at the end, when he had been repeating to his crap -thick disciples in words of one Syllable that he would be killed but rise again three days later and they STILL didn't understand, when it came to the crunch that would save all of humanity, he says 'Dad. I don't want to do this. How about letting me off?' And Dad says 'No'.

With a Paw like that, I suppose we can't expect too much from his kid.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:13 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
The bible says that Jesus was without "sin" It says essentially that humans are to emulate him and look up to him in addition to being the "world's savior" I ask you this...if Jesus was part god, then what made his "sinless" life so great then?
He's not "part God". He's fully God. He's also fully man. He has 2 natures. What makes him special is that he's God. And as a man, he was tempted in every way, but did not sin. No man alive can do that or has done that.
Quote:

If you have supernatural god like powers to resist this so called "sin" for the roughly 33 years he was supposed to have lived, why is this considered so great? Then he takes a "sleep" for 3 days or descends to hell or whatever and then goes back to heaven? What is so great about that as a sacrifice? The whole Jesus thing makes no sense to me at all.
He lived sinless, then died. As an innocent man, and he rose again. He didn't just go to sleep. He is the 2nd person of the Trinity, and he, who knew no sin, was said to become sin. What makes it so great is the fact that God himself took on our sin. The infinitely holy, perfect God of the universe chose to become one of his creation and died a criminal's death. How do I know that he suffered? In John 17 we read of his agony as he looked forward to it. He knew it was more than just a 3 day "sleep" and he was scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality